Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Like Microsoft seems to think their 120gig Hard Drive costs $180 and claims that "a 120 gig self-powered external PC drive and in that case we are seeing those retail at anywhere from $160 to $200 for comparable laptop sized external hard drives."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5119&Itemid=2

The only part of that that doesn't sound like complete nonsensical bullshit is the last part about consistency in prices. They do charge $100 for the 20GB drive still, right?

But if you think about, in a couple years, to match the graphics of the PS3 or 360 will probably be cheaper to achieve. I mean, I bought myself an X800 XL video card maybe a year and a half ago for $150. I just recently purchased a Radeon X1950 Pro for the same price, and it very much more powerful than my previous card.

Then again, this is the gaming console industry where stuff sometimes tends to be somewhat inflated. Like Microsoft seems to think their 120gig Hard Drive costs $180 and claims that "a 120 gig self-powered external PC drive and in that case we are seeing those retail at anywhere from $160 to $200 for comparable laptop sized external hard drives."

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5119&Itemid=2

You bought your X800 at the tail end of when that line was still new, though. Last Feb, I bought an X1600 Pro 512, for barely any. In 8-9 months, I'll be able to get the X1950 AGP for the same price, because the next generation of ATi cards will be out and mainstream.

Video processor generations are ~18 months. It tends to take 2 generations for the common value edition(EG, the X1600) to be as powerful as the flagship of past generations(X1600 is as powerful, or more so, from a raw numbers standpoint, as a 9800 was, when it was new).

The X2600, which will be the core value edition, will probably be in the ~$250 or less range when it launches, and will be as powerful as your X800, plus some extra, very useful features for modern gaming.

The PS3 has somewhere between the X1800/7800 and the X2800/8800 range for video power. 360 has the 2800/8800 class already.

It'll take 3 years for those premium class graphics, to come down in price enough to be affordable. But in 4 1/2 years, around time of the next generation, they would be very much value priced, and still powerful enough to make games not look like crap, in comparison. Plus new tricks, to squeeze extra fireworks out of them.

I haven't thought about any console as a visual powerhouse since PC gaming took me over in like 2003. I get the whole HD thing and playing on your TV, but with any decent video card you can do the same. Hell, you could use a 360 joypad if you wanted to, but why someone would want to give up mouse and keyboard control is beyond me.

If Nintendo releases a console in the future that just pushes graphics, I'll have to pass on it. Consoles are becoming more and more irrelevant when they just try to copy PCs.

Even a PS3 is still far cheaper than a gaming PC.

As to Nintendo's next console pushing graphics--graphics are rather easy to figure out, you just try to figure out what the technology of the day can give you over what you presently have. Nintendo's stabbed themselves in the foot for their next console because of the Wii. Nintendo has decided to make their reputation based upon innovation, and they are not going to be associated very much with high-end graphics when the Wii is finished. This means that even if Nintendo's next console is up to or even beyond par powerwise, the Big N would still need some innovation similar to what Wii brought or be put at a severe marketing disadvantage.

Even a PS3 is still far cheaper than a gaming PC.

As to Nintendo's next console pushing graphics--graphics are rather easy to figure out, you just try to figure out what the technology of the day can give you over what you presently have. Nintendo's stabbed themselves in the foot for their next console because of the Wii. Nintendo has decided to make their reputation based upon innovation, and they are not going to be associated very much with high-end graphics when the Wii is finished. This means that even if Nintendo's next console is up to or even beyond par powerwise, the Big N would still need some innovation similar to what Wii brought or be put at a severe marketing disadvantage.

One thing is for sure: Nintendo can't go back to regular controllers and have PS3-like graphics on their next console.

If there's even gonna be one.

Like you say, they'll have to keep innovating to stay in the market. Which worries me.

I wouldn't mind getting a Wii 2 if it's like what we have now but with the powerful graphics.

They don't even need expensive hardware for that; look at what Cube could do for games like Metroid and from what I keep hearing RE4, just to name 2.

Personally I don't see a great future for the game industry. At least not a future I'd want to be part of. As far as I'm concerned this will be the last generation of games I'll play.

Of course at this point such a statement is a bit silly; we'll see what happens in the next 5 years. :)

One thing is for sure: Nintendo can't go back to regular controllers and have PS3-like graphics on their next console.

If there's even gonna be one.

Like you say, they'll have to keep innovating to stay in the market. Which worries me.

I wouldn't mind getting a Wii 2 if it's like what we have now but with the powerful graphics.

They don't even need expensive hardware for that; look at what Cube could do for games like Metroid and from what I keep hearing RE4, just to name 2.

Personally I don't see a great future for the game industry. At least not a future I'd want to be part of. As far as I'm concerned this will be the last generation of games I'll play.

Of course at this point such a statement is a bit silly; we'll see what happens in the next 5 years. :)

Nintendo's next console will be Wii++. It'll have a lot more power, it'll have all the features people expect, and it'll be a refinement to near perfection on the Wii control method. It won't be the ON, but it should easily rival the PS3 on every front, on top of having its own special goodies.

There's not really any major technology revolution coming over the next 10 years, so there's nothing Nintendo will have to really worry about working in. In 15 years, we might have plasma holographics to contend with, which may become a viable alternative to video displays of current, but otherwise that's when we'll see the next major shift in gaming, no matter who it's led by.

Look back on the industry. It's always been about incrementing the existing, and trying something new every 2 generations or so. With a standard gaming generation being ~5 years, we have one more after this one for them to work out all the bugs(As it is, MS is in the lead, because they came late and started early with theirs, improving the Live service to an incredible amount on the 360). Next generation won't be anything really major, but after that we'll see the next big shift. Which, if it doesn't happen before then, should be an all-digital event. No more hard media, no more sold-out titles, and no more inaccurate sales data for software. We'll see everything working purely online, with our consoles acting as a gateway, instead of as a hub, or a unit.

This isn't exactly the right place for this, but I shouldn't create a new thread to ask this. My sister just walked in my room and began to ask me a question about Super Mario World. I prepared to shoot an answer right back at her, like I always have since she showed an interest in gaming. This time though, she asks, "(HideousBeing), on the world map, how come some of the level spaces are big, and the other ones are small?" Needless to say, I could not answer. I never let my sister down, so I'm asking any Super Mario World players: Is there a reason for this size difference? Thanks for any help in advance.

Red means it has multiple exits - I'm pretty sure that the small red dot means 2 exits while the large one, which as you mentioned is in Vanilla Dome, has 3 exits.

Pretty sure.

The underground scrolling level in Donut Plains has 3 exits, but it's shown as a small red dot. It's the same with the Cheese Bridge level (main exit + hidden exit + Yoshi wings). Also, each level opens either 1 or 2 paths when completed.

It'd be cool to start seeing games you can buy completely online, but there's a pride that comes with being able to stack up boxes, and show them off like that. But it's the future of consoles that worry me the most. Yeah, we can acheive amazing graphics. And today, with online play, motion controls, and services that aren't even game-related, consoles are doing more than ever. But where do we go from here? Virtual Reality has always worried me, I have a general distrust towards that technology. Partly from fear. If we hit that, then we'll have truly fufilled the goals set by so many dreamers years ago. But... then what? I mean, there's literally nothing left. A scary thought.

Wii Question: If I want to convert a video to play it off of my SD card on my wii, what should I set it as? I know it needs to be .mov, with a resolution smaller than 848x480, but what specific settings does it need? Hope someone knows...

230095b.jpg

Release Date: 6/25

Price: $29.99

Features:

* Wii-mote Action! – Moving the Wii-mote allows players to aim weapons, slash with the knife, control action sequences and much more.

* Award-winning gameplay –RE4 has won multiple Game of the Year awards.

* Unsurpassed Visuals – Resident Evil 4 features breathtaking 3D graphics and effects!

* Behind the Camera View – Camera follows you from behind and allows for intuitive movement.

* Advanced AI – Enemies use their cunning abilities to team up and attack the player en mass.

* “Separate Ways” – Play as Ada Wong in five new chapters that reveal startling insight into the original storyline!

* Supports true 16:9 widescreen and Dolby Pro Logic II.

Hmm..I want to purchase simply because of the action sequences.Knife fight with Krauser.Yessss...Could be quite epic.

Now I'm glad I never played/bought the GC version. Sweet deal.

Incidentally, since I'm a big fan of both Metal Slug games and Paper Mario games, which would you recommend I get (between MSA and SPM)?

Also, I'll probably be sold on Umbrella Chronicles. On-rails shooter action on wii sounds great to me.

Now I'm glad I never played/bought the GC version. Sweet deal.

Incidentally, since I'm a big fan of both Metal Slug games and Paper Mario games, which would you recommend I get (between MSA and SPM)?

Also, I'll probably be sold on Umbrella Chronicles. On-rails shooter action on wii sounds great to me.

I'd say SPM, since I heard some bad stuff about the controls on the Wii version of MSA. And yeah, I'll probably end up buying Umbrella Chronicles.

I already have RE4 for GCN, but I'm tempted to get the Wii version when it comes out. Along with the features already mentioned, it will also have the added extras from the PS2 version (link) Plus, I don't like having a game stored on 2 discs instead of just one like it should've been from the start.

If the graphics will be on par with the GCN version, then I'll definitely get it. I could trade in my GCN copy towards this purchase.

I'm a bit disapointed that as to new content, they aren't adding in a mode more difficult than professional. Though I'd be curious if they were explanding any of the chapters or adding a couple bosses.

I'm also a bit worried about how they're changing the knife control. I was nearing mastery with the knife on the GC version and am a bit worried about it being controlled by the nunchuck.

The real benifit though, will probably come in the unique dodges they make you do. Instead of the six inputs (R, L, R&L, A&B, rapid A, rapid B), they could have some truly unique inputs.

Definitely get Super Paper Mario, but because it looks to be one of the best exclusive titles to hit Wii yet, not because of the controls on Metal Slug Anthology (which are, IMO, fine). If you have more cash at a later date and nothing like Prime 3 or Brawl itching to be bought, go ahead and grab the Anthology as well.

North American Virtual Console releases today:

Galaga (NES) - First game I played on my PlayStation, since it was the loading screen for RIIIIIIIDGE RACER

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (GEN) - The only Alex Kidd game we'll get on VC, unless they release master system games

Bravoman (T16) - If Parodius were a platformer