Nintendo Wii

Smoke

The person in charge of it (a woman, go figure) decided that she didn't like the whole idea of a testosterone-filled, babe-stuffed, giant extravaganza and announced the downsizing while claiming it was to promote and encourage smaller developers to break out at the show. Basically, she didn't like how big companies came out with giant, house-sized booths, scantily-clad females, and bombastic speakers and swept smaller companies under the rug their noise was creating.

So, short version: They downsized it to give smaller companies a chance to show off.

Personally, I'm still just seeing the same news with the same bravado from the same companies. She probably pushed the downsizing on E3 because she was embarrassed to head up the "Biggest Nerd-Circus on Earth."

Thanks for explaining :) It actually makes some sense, and it is respectable that she'd want to give small time developers a chance to shine, but it's not really like that in practice at all is it...

The whole booth-babes argument is lame in my opinion. While I myself am morally againts the display of women in such a fashion, we see the same thing at car expo's and whatnot. I'm surprised no one actually used this case to ban these booth babes on any event...

Oh well, I guess we don't have to expect a lot from E3 anymore, but at least the quality of the games will still be the same. (which actually isn't a good thing always n_n; )

Any bets for how long until they bring back the old format of E3, or at least until something similar springs up, for the entire industry again?

Some of us are going to E for All in this coming October, apparently this was the response to the E3 downsizing.

I got an invite from Vivendi. =P

The person in charge of it (a woman, go figure) decided that she didn't like the whole idea of a testosterone-filled, babe-stuffed, giant extravaganza and announced the downsizing while claiming it was to promote and encourage smaller developers to break out at the show. Basically, she didn't like how big companies came out with giant, house-sized booths, scantily-clad females, and bombastic speakers and swept smaller companies under the rug their noise was creating.

So, short version: They downsized it to give smaller companies a chance to show off.

aka

She's flat chested, and was tired of being up-staged by big titty girls :grin:

Personally, I'm still just seeing the same news with the same bravado from the same companies. She probably pushed the downsizing on E3 because she was embarrassed to head up the "Biggest Nerd-Circus on Earth."

Err..that doesn't jive with what I heard. What I read was the big three, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, where unhappy with how much it cost to show and how it had turned into a circus. The Expo's original intention was as a media and business event, but it sort of ballooned out of control to the point where the guy who took out the trash at EB could get in. The show was downsized to return it to it's original function as an event for legitimate game news media to cover upcoming products and for games industry people to meet, network, and do business.

From my time at E3 so far, here's what you should be hyped for and avoid at all costs

GET HYPED!

Soul Calibur Legends

Super Mario Galaxy

WiiFit

STAY AWAY!

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles

Uh... I'm actually looking forward to Chronicles, on rails shooting? two player? evil monsters?

Yeah, I'm up for it.

Uh... I'm actually looking forward to Chronicles, on rails shooting? two player? evil monsters?

Yeah, I'm up for it.

Quote for emphasize.

I must have spent enough on the big screen House of The Dead 2 arcade machines to buy one. Now I can have a game just like it, but at home and I can play it whenever I want.

Hell yeah, I'll get it.

I think that it will be an excellent shooter. If it's better like House of the Dead, then it will rock.

I bet it will be a blast to play, especially with the close combat moves included, like shaking off zombies and kicking them.

Isn't it strange how the Wii is getting different versions of games across platforms? Umbrella Chronicles vs RE 5, Soul Calibur Legends vs Soul Calibur 4.

Will this pattern show a trend? If so, is it good?

And a big woot because Wii is getting Alien Syndrome and Nights all to itself.

Umbrella Chronicles is not very good. I played it.

There's no sense of any tactile feedback for the different weapons. The voice acting is RE1 levels of horrible. It's hard to tell if bullets are hitting enemies or not. The aiming is very imprecise (since the Wiimote is not a light gun).

The game you should be excited about is Soul Calibur Legends. If you must play RE:UC, I suggest renting it first when it comes out, otherwise you'll probably be very disappointed.

Umbrella Chronicles is not very good. I played it.

There's no sense of any tactile feedback for the different weapons. The voice acting is RE1 levels of horrible. It's hard to tell if bullets are hitting enemies or not. The aiming is very imprecise (since the Wiimote is not a light gun).

The game you should be excited about is Soul Calibur Legends. If you must play RE:UC, I suggest renting it first when it comes out, otherwise you'll probably be very disappointed.

Wii.. really isn't as revolutionary for shooters as it was originally expected to be. There's just no reliable way to have PROPER aiming, without having a reticule on the screen to go by, since each setup is completely different.

I think that it will be an excellent shooter. If it's better like House of the Dead, then it will rock.

I bet it will be a blast to play, especially with the close combat moves included, like shaking off zombies and kicking them.

Isn't it strange how the Wii is getting different versions of games across platforms? Umbrella Chronicles vs RE 5, Soul Calibur Legends vs Soul Calibur 4.

Will this pattern show a trend? If so, is it good?

And a big woot because Wii is getting Alien Syndrome and Nights all to itself.

RE:UC sounded really fun to me, too. It's too bad Phthisis is saying it's not. D: I'll definitely still rent it myself, at least. As for the different versions of games, I think it's pretty damn cool, but also a little disappointing at the same time. After playing through RE4, I'd love to give RE5 a shot (assuming it's done in the same style), but from the looks of it there're no plans to port it to wii...especially seeing as how they'd have to dumb down the visuals considerably, if what I've seen is accurate. As long as the "spin-offs" we get remain high quality, I guess I can't complain too much. After all, if I REALLY wanted to play the other games, I could always just break down and get a 360...or ps3, when they start getting their super-high quality games cranking...

...eventually...

...?

Edit:

Paper Mario on VC for PAL regions, whoo!

Monday for the rest of you, I suppose.

Exciting!! *crosses fingers for monday*

Wii.. really isn't as revolutionary for shooters as it was originally expected to be. There's just no reliable way to have PROPER aiming, without having a reticule on the screen to go by, since each setup is completely different.

Well, there is a reticle, but the Wiimote just isn't as accurate as a light gun because of the technology it's using (as opposed to how a light gun hooks in to your TV AV jacks). Plus, the Zapper is very awkward to use, IMO, because the trigger is on the front handle, and your rear hand can't provide support. It just kind of sits there grabbing the back handle and serving no purpose.

On the bright side, Ghost Squad looked pretty good, so if you need a shooter, that should be ahead of UC on the list.

Also, I got to see NiGHTS in action, and NiGHTS fans shouldn't be disappointed.

Super Mario Galaxy is, as it has always been, one hell of an impressive game.

Well, there is a reticle, but the Wiimote just isn't as accurate as a light gun because of the technology it's using (as opposed to how a light gun hooks in to your TV AV jacks). Plus, the Zapper is very awkward to use, IMO, because the trigger is on the front handle, and your rear hand can't provide support. It just kind of sits there grabbing the back handle and serving no purpose.

On the bright side, Ghost Squad looked pretty good, so if you need a shooter, that should be ahead of UC on the list.

Also, I got to see NiGHTS in action, and NiGHTS fans shouldn't be disappointed.

Super Mario Galaxy is, as it has always been, one hell of an impressive game.

QFT on all points. Front hand trigger is what killed the Zapper for me.

Ghose Squad is my second favorite light gun game series ever (after Time Crisis, of course).

NiGHTS is itself, duh.

SMG is going to be amazing.

Useless post is useless.

QFT on all points. Front hand trigger is what killed the Zapper for me.

Ghose Squad is my second favorite light gun game series ever (after Time Crisis, of course).

NiGHTS is itself, duh.

SMG is going to be amazing.

Useless post is useless.

So you went to E3, too?

Also, if you want a more fleshed out reasoning behind why I didn't like RE: UC, you can read my preview on GAF.

I finally got around to watching the Super Mario Galaxy footage from E3 and damn does it look great. I have at least one game I can't wait for coming out every damn month from now through the end of the year.

And what the hell? This E3 brings word that Project HAMMER is on hold indefinitely? Did I miss the earlier memos, or is this a sudden bit of bitter news?

You know.. the more I see about Mario Galaxy now, the more I'm worried.. It almost seems like the 2p co-op is a little more important than it may seem, on the outside. Like you might actually -require- a second player, to do 100% in the game, because of things like freeze-frame attacks on enemies and objects, and collecting the star shot things, as well as firing at triggers.. I hope they don't do that, and instead make it so the 1P game still has that functionality, just with the cursor being moved on screen by the same player. Might be an issue for the buttons, though.

And there was word a few months back, that HAMMER was on hold.. Which sucks. I want a good, ol'fashioned smasher, in the vein of Gauntlet, using the wiimote to control where you violently swing your weapon. :(

You know.. the more I see about Mario Galaxy now, the more I'm worried.. It almost seems like the 2p co-op is a little more important than it may seem, on the outside. Like you might actually -require- a second player, to do 100% in the game, because of things like freeze-frame attacks on enemies and objects, and collecting the star shot things, as well as firing at triggers.. I hope they don't do that, and instead make it so the 1P game still has that functionality, just with the cursor being moved on screen by the same player. Might be an issue for the buttons, though.

And there was word a few months back, that HAMMER was on hold.. Which sucks. I want a good, ol'fashioned smasher, in the vein of Gauntlet, using the wiimote to control where you violently swing your weapon. :(

From the looks of it, the second player only facilitates a game that is already possible to bit with one player rather than making it possible to beat solely with a second player. The only thing the second player seems to do that the first player can't is freeze/move enemies/objects (both players have been seen shooting stars with the pointer control). Now what would be infinitely more interesting is if the second player could actually hinder the first player's progress in a pseudo-competitive fashion, hurling obstacles into Mario's path to make him slip up. That would make me want to call a friend over for sure.

And yeah, sucks about Project HAMMER, I glanced over last year's announcement and only a few months back rediscovered the content as more exciting than I originally thought. I hope Nintendo goes back to it eventually.

I have to say after having actually watched the Nintendo conference I feel less bad about things.

It still amazes me how connected these people are to their products and seeing grown men and women actually having fun on stage like that...that's amazing.

That one woman was not worthy of playing Metroid though :)

*sigh* And now we just wait I guess...