Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Hey, i just got into this thread so i have no clue if it's already been a topic of conversation.

Mario & Sonic at the olypics. looks good, prolly just a bunch of minigames put together.

in the most recent trailer, the music sounds very similar to the music from Pokemon Stadium (N64)

So.. anyone notice some framerate issues on VC Paper Mario? Seems to be quite a few points, even in Toad Town, where the framerate slows and the entire game starts to feel like it's running in slow-mo until the camera changes.. or you pick up coins, or something.

Sequel to Tales of Symphonia for Wii. I loved ToS, having played through it 3 or 4 times with friends, so I'm really excited for this. This had better make it to North America.

If they improve the multiplayer, it would be perfect.

My friends and I played through the first couple hours of the original game using multiplayer at a campus LAN party once upon a time. It was actually pretty fun.

Now if they made the camera follow all player-characters, ooohh yes.

So.. anyone notice some framerate issues on VC Paper Mario? Seems to be quite a few points, even in Toad Town, where the framerate slows and the entire game starts to feel like it's running in slow-mo until the camera changes.. or you pick up coins, or something.

Yeah, it happens a lot I've noticed, usually when there seems to be no good reason for it (not a lot of objects on-screen, etc). It's a little annoying, but it hasn't detracted from my fun yet. First time I've ever gotten to play the original, and I've been really enjoying it.

On the topic though, has anyone noticed that Paper Mario has load times between the home menu and the game? They have a little spinning N64 symbol that I've never seen, and it's on-screen for quite a bit longer than I'd anticipate as far as load times go. I guess their emulation isn't quite perfect. The only other N64 VC game I've dl'd and played so far is Mario 64 which I didn't noticed with that, so I dunno how isolated this incident is for sure.

EDIT: To clarify, when going from the home menu and back to the game there's the loading time. It also happened the first time I started the game, though not since then when I've started it.

Yeah, it happens a lot I've noticed, usually when there seems to be no good reason for it (not a lot of objects on-screen, etc). It's a little annoying, but it hasn't detracted from my fun yet. First time I've ever gotten to play the original, and I've been really enjoying it.

On the topic though, has anyone noticed that Paper Mario has load times between the home menu and the game? They have a little spinning N64 symbol that I've never seen, and it's on-screen for quite a bit longer than I'd anticipate as far as load times go. I guess their emulation isn't quite perfect. The only other N64 VC game I've dl'd and played so far is Mario 64 which I didn't noticed with that, so I dunno how isolated this incident is for sure.

EDIT: To clarify, when going from the home menu and back to the game there's the loading time. It also happened the first time I started the game, though not since then when I've started it.

I noticed the load screen, too. I guess there might well be a really good reason why PC emulators seem to have issues with this particular game.. they might have done things that don't emulate well.

But.. doesn't this mark the final N64 title that actually worked near 100% through the Zelda emulator?

I noticed the load screen, too. I guess there might well be a really good reason why PC emulators seem to have issues with this particular game.. they might have done things that don't emulate well.

But.. doesn't this mark the final N64 title that actually worked near 100% through the Zelda emulator?

I was pretty sure F-Zero X was the last one of those, and Paper Mario is the first title Nintendo promised and delivered that didn't work off that same emulator used for the N64 games appearing on GCN.

I was pretty sure F-Zero X was the last one of those, and Paper Mario is the first title Nintendo promised and delivered that didn't work off that same emulator used for the N64 games appearing on GCN.

That's what I was thinking too. If so, I think that's a good sign, so we can expect even more N64 titles now. The loading time is somewhat annoying, as are the random slowdowns, so hopefully those will be fixed later.

So, months and months ago I gave up playing Trauma Center for Wii in frustration. After showing it to a friend last night, I decided to pick it back up. I had to relearn basically everything, and I got the basics back a lot better to the point where I'm passing the surgeries I was stuck on with little difficulty. Granted, I feel stupid for not understanding some of the basic procedures the first time through, but it ends up being a lot more fun when you know what you're actually doing. (Imagine that...)

Just trying to get this thread back to the actual games, instead of it being exclusively about Virtual Console. :D

So, months and months ago I gave up playing Trauma Center for Wii in frustration. After showing it to a friend last night, I decided to pick it back up. I had to relearn basically everything, and I got the basics back a lot better to the point where I'm passing the surgeries I was stuck on with little difficulty. Granted, I feel stupid for not understanding some of the basic procedures the first time through, but it ends up being a lot more fun when you know what you're actually doing. (Imagine that...)

Just trying to get this thread back to the actual games, instead of it being exclusively about Virtual Console. :D

Yeah, Trauma Center is awesome. I checked on IGN's release date revision thing they published this morning, and according to that Trauma Center New Blood is coming out in Nov, which is way earlier than I'd expected. I'm pretty excited! :-D

North American Virtual Console releases today

Kirby's Dream Course (SNES) - I often dream of golf too

Shining Force (GEN) - We'll just skip Shining in the Darkness and release this instead

Devil's Crush (T16) - I guess the devil has a thing for pinball

Where did you hear that the first titles were off the Zelda Emu? I never heard that before. Also, F-Zero X has some very minor Slowdown issues when there was almost every racer on screen. But it's so minor you barely notice it unless you focus on it.

Where did you hear that the first titles were off the Zelda Emu? I never heard that before. Also, F-Zero X has some very minor Slowdown issues when there was almost every racer on screen. But it's so minor you barely notice it unless you focus on it.

It was exposed shortly after the launch of Wii, and was more or less confirmed since then.

The emulator used for Ocarina of Time on Gamecube, was hacked open and had other N64 roms injected into it, way back when. Only a small list of games actually worked properly, with others having some level of visible glitch to the emulation. So far, every N64 game released on the VC(perhaps with the exclusion of Paper Mario?), have been games on the "work" list.

As it is, each game through the VC comes wrapped in its own emulator, adding at least a few MB to the filesize for N64 games.

It was exposed shortly after the launch of Wii, and was more or less confirmed since then.

The emulator used for Ocarina of Time on Gamecube, was hacked open and had other N64 roms injected into it, way back when. Only a small list of games actually worked properly, with others having some level of visible glitch to the emulation. So far, every N64 game released on the VC(perhaps with the exclusion of Paper Mario?), have been games on the "work" list.

As it is, each game through the VC comes wrapped in its own emulator, adding at least a few MB to the filesize for N64 games.

That's interesting. I never knew that. I also found it odd when I closed out home menu and I saw the N64 logo "looping". That was never in the original game as far as I know. I wonder why it's so diffcult to emulate 64 games? Was it the way the games were programed?

While widely disliked, the hardware in the N64 was incredible. Even the biggest game never fully exploited the multiple channels and processors. If CDs would not have existed, the N64 would probably have been the best example of how to do a console. The tech in there was years ahead of its class.

But yeah, because it lacked nice FMVs, people didn't accept it.

Keeping with the Virtual Console theme of this thread, why do NES games lag? Whenever I play Kirby's Adventure it crawls to a halt every so often, its pretty annoying and I know the Wii could do better than lagging a NES game...I know they kind of rushed the Wii out, but really, if they can't even emulate the NES well, theres a problem with that.

Keeping with the Virtual Console theme of this thread, why do NES games lag? Whenever I play Kirby's Adventure it crawls to a halt every so often, its pretty annoying and I know the Wii could do better than lagging a NES game...I know they kind of rushed the Wii out, but really, if they can't even emulate the NES well, theres a problem with that.

I suspect it's a lot like it is with PC emulators.. it took years for the emulation scene to do anything that actually ran 100%.

But given that we're actually paying cashmoney for these things, you'd think Nintendo would be pounding out a 100% emulator a lot faster.

Nintendo I think is put all it's resources onto pushing games out for the holidays, so I'm hoping that once big titles like MP3, SSBB and Super Mario Galaxy coem out we'll see channels and updates coming more frequently...At least they better...