Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Personally, I'd recommend getting Punch-Out!! over Kid Icarus. Can't go wrong with that game IMO.
Yeah, that's what a lot of people say. I'm kind of reluctant, I mean I already have Wii boxing... another boxing game?!

Any other totally awesomely noteworthy NES games? I'm considering Ninja Gaiden. It's just that people go on and on and on about how awesome Kid Icarus is. I've watched videos, doesn't look that mindblowing to me.

edit: my brother wants to order super mario world - is the gamecube control on that okay?

I don't think so...but I haven't played it. I just seem to remember people saying things about how it's impossible to press X/Y and B at the same time.

Really, it's possible. You just have to do this awkward finger position. I did it with Donkey Kong Country. :P

Anyone check out the new MP3 videos today?

When I checked, they weren't up...

Now that I think about it, I kind of wish Nintendo would have released a localized version of the japanese version of Metroid on VC. I just think it would be a lot easier to use a save system(Japan) rather than a code system(US). Either way I'm buying the game. I feel like kicking Motherbrain's ass.

Now that I think about it, I kind of wish Nintendo would have released a localized version of the japanese version of Metroid on VC. I just think it would be a lot easier to use a save system(Japan) rather than a code system(US). Either way I'm buying the game. I feel like kicking Motherbrain's ass.

You make it sound like you won't be beating it in one sitting :-P. j/k

Anyway, at least unless someone else plays the game between you playing it (or you reset the game), you get that pseudo-save state effect on the VC so you won't have to enter codes every time you pick up the game.

Funny, I originally wrote it with but then removed them because I didn't want people to think I thought they'd actually work.

I was being sarcastic anyway :P If anyone doesn't know Samus is a girl, then they have been living under a rock.

I am considering getting Metroid on VC this monday. What's another kickass NES game to get? Kid Icarus? I want something that will last me awhile and isn't brutal as far as game saving goes.

If you get Kid Icarus, you might notice it plays a lot like Metroid ;)

So, yeah. Where are our MP3 videos? I checked this morning when I got up, and just 5 minutes ago... At what time on 8/13 do we get them?

I'm willing to bet they intended to update with them the same time they update the Wii Shop, but ran into technical difficulties.

Just shell out the $20 for the Classic Controller. It's very much worth it for many many games (including, I guarantee, Super Metroid).

I'll second this. You can also control the cursor on your Wii with the CC too lol. The controller is pretty damn comfortable too.

I'll second this. You can also control the cursor on your Wii with the CC too lol. The controller is pretty damn comfortable too.

Note that the classic controller only works with the main Wii menus and the intro menus to channels (where they have a splash page with the "Wii Menu" and "Start" buttons), not any channels like Mii, Photo, Wii Shop or any downloadable channels.

Regardless, it's a damn handy feature when all you want to do it turn on the Wii and go straight into some VC game without pointing and clicking. And the controller is really, really comfortable for most people.

Just keep that gc controller handy for some of the n64 games - in some cases it's a much better fit than the CC. But seriously, how hard is it to detect when there's a GC controller and just remap the buttons to make it PLAYABLE? When I have to jump with my thumb and run with my index finger in DKC2, there's something seriously wrong. I'll fall into the trap and get the CC too, just so I can play my damn games. Also, I'm not really waiting with bated breath for these Prime 3 vids - we've probably seen the footage already on IGN anyway. Just check later tonight.

Got a question - does the CC have a wire to connect to the Wii or is it wireless? I sit far enough back from my TV that a wired controller might not be an option.

Just keep that gc controller handy for some of the n64 games - in some cases it's a much better fit than the CC. But seriously, how hard is it to detect when there's a GC controller and just remap the buttons to make it PLAYABLE? When I have to jump with my thumb and run with my index finger in DKC2, there's something seriously wrong. I'll fall into the trap and get the CC too, just so I can play my damn games. Also, I'm not really waiting with bated breath for these Prime 3 vids - we've probably seen the footage already on IGN anyway. Just check later tonight.

Got a question - does the CC have a wire to connect to the Wii or is it wireless? I sit far enough back from my TV that a wired controller might not be an option.

It plugs into the Wiimote, which can sometimes be annoying because you've got to have a stable place close by to set the Wiimote down, which for me more often than not means my lap. It's not comfortable, but at least it's got all the wireless range of the Wiimote versus my poor non-Wavebird GCN controllers.

It plugs into the Wiimote, which can sometimes be annoying because you've got to have a stable place close by to set the Wiimote down, which for me more often than not means my lap. It's not comfortable, but at least it's got all the wireless range of the Wiimote versus my poor non-Wavebird GCN controllers.

Speaking of, what the eff is up with the fact that you can't use the CC for GCN games? I like the GCN controller like any other guy, but I'm not going to rebuy a set of GCN controllers for my Wii just to play my GCN games on wireless controllers.

I understand it probably has to due with the Wii hardware pretty much switching off or into standby and then the Gamecube hardware taking over, but couldn't Nintendo conceivably still run the Wii hardware with some updated firmware overtop of the GCN hardware to give it some additional features like that? I'm not knowledgeable on the technical side of how something like that would work, but it seems possible on my basic understanding of things to keep some kind of enabler running in the background.

Hmm...I just put the Wiimote on the floor.

Hmm...I just put the Wiimote on the floor.

If I'm laying/sitting in my bed on the other side of the room, this is viable because it's low to the floor. But if I'm sitting up close to the desk where both my computer and Wii are set up, the chair is too high off the floor for this to really be viable; at most one end of the remote will touch the floor, as the cord isn't long enough to let it rest fully even if I have the controller all the way in my lap. I can put it on top of the computer tower, but then if I forget it's there and rotate in my chair to talk to someone or who knows whatever else, it gets caught by the chair's arm and dragged off.

So yeah, lap it is usually.

Shining in the Darkness (GEN): A dungeon crawler that looks like it came from the 8-bit generation

Blasphemous fiend! :lol:

SitD has good graphics (for Genesis at that time period), with the familiar art style of the "Shining" series up to that point. It has some catchy "marching"-style music, challenging and good sized labyrinths, old turn-based combat gameplay, and the dungeons scroll pretty nicely. The animation on the enemies isn't extensive, and after a while, some of the random battles can get on your nerves when you're hit with a high frequency of them (though it never gets as bad as Sword of Vermillion). It's a well rounded game, and a fine entry in the long running "Shining" series.