Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Blasphemous fiend! :lol:

SitD has good graphics (for Genesis at that time period), with the familiar art style of the "Shining" series up to that point. It has some catchy "marching"-style music, challenging and good sized labyrinths, old turn-based combat gameplay, and the dungeons scroll pretty nicely. The animation on the enemies isn't extensive, and after a while, some of the random battles can get on your nerves when you're hit with a high frequency of them (though it never gets as bad as Sword of Vermillion). It's a well rounded game, and a fine entry in the long running "Shining" series.

I find it funny you commented what I said about Shining in the Darkness and not what I've said about one of the 8billion shmups that has come out for the VC

I'm new to the Wii world and am loving it very much. Paper Mario amuses me and is quite fun. I was surfing around the shopping channel last week and could have sworn I saw super metroid. When I looked today, it appears as though I was wrong. Is there anyplace I can go to look at up upcoming virtual console titles?

Okay, something's bothering me since the cube days. Maybe the european guys can help me.

Why do all the european cube and wii titles have little colored triangles on the side of their dvdcases?

I've been trying to find some kind of system in it for years know.

Is it genre specific? Res4 and Ssbm both have a blue triangle, so I don't think so.

Is it age related? see example above.

Do they stand for the developers? No they don't.

It's been a mystery. And I fear the answer will be something so basic that i kind believe i missed it for all these years.

Somebody?

So...does the new video mean Mother Brain is in Prime 3, or another "Aurora" is in it?

Given the blueprint layout at the end.. That was the Mother Brain chamber.

But, keep in mind, Prime is after the original/Zero Mission, which means Samus has already taken on an Aurora unit as Mother Brain. And since all the units are linked..

oshit.

I'm new to the Wii world and am loving it very much. Paper Mario amuses me and is quite fun. I was surfing around the shopping channel last week and could have sworn I saw super metroid. When I looked today, it appears as though I was wrong. Is there anyplace I can go to look at up upcoming virtual console titles?

The original Metroid is now on VC and Super Metroid is coming next week I think...if not it's still coming very soon. Here's a great VC site for reviews and news:

http://www.vc-reviews.com/

But, keep in mind, Prime is after the original/Zero Mission, which means Samus has already taken on an Aurora unit as Mother Brain. And since all the units are linked..

oshit.

But that particular chamber is on Zebes. Unless all Auroras are kept in similar rooms that means...

oshit.

oshit.

But what I don't get is that in that part of the video it said something like "blueprint for future aurora" or something to that effect. If all the Prime games FOLLOW the first Metroid, how could the Mother Brain not be built yet?

Also, I think I'm going to stop looking at the preview vids in the channel. I don't want anything spoiled for me.

I think I wet myself a little watching the Aurora vid. I wanted a Mother Brain fight since the Parasite Queen fight at the start of Prime 1. Multiple MBs? Mmm. Tasty.

Also, nice surprise to find out that there are two more vids coming down the pipe soon. Looks like they're releasing one gameplay video and one storyline video in each batch.

I like the way Nintendo is treating their big name games - Smash Bros. Dojo with frequent updates, MP3 with this preview channel... The frequent updates is a nice change from Nintendo keeping us in the dark up until launch day.

Imagery: Oh right, I get it now.

Anyway, just a couple thoughts...

Am I the only one who's going to really miss that style of music that was in the first two primes (stuff like the Chozo Ruins theme, etc)? They said on IGN that Prime 3 is going to have more like a sci-fi action film score, and we've definitely heard by this point that they're right. Personally, the music in the first Prime especially was really important to me, so I hope they still have a bit of that flair.

Which leads me to something else entirely - I'm starting to get just a bit nervous that they're really going to screw this up. It might be fun as a shooter but if it doesn't have that feel of exploration that Prime and Prime 2 had, along with the whole "solve puzzles to find new items that let you open all that stuff you saw earlier" mechanic, I'll be sorely disappointed. More to the point, I really just hope they're not trying to turn Prime 3 into a Halo clone/competitor. I wasn't worried at all about this until I started seeing those new preview videos, which seem to be portraying it as this badass run and gun FPS with a cool plot. I was happy to see that spider ball footage, which indicates there still might be some puzzle-solving to be had after all. I'm not entirely sure what to make of this quote from IGN:

Prime 3's E3 2007 showing was heavy on gunning and light on the franchise's traditional re-traversal puzzle-solving nature, and for the first time we've been forced to concede that Corruption is, technically, also a shooter....Of course, that doesn't mean that the game won't ultimately fall in the adventure genre - actually, we suspect it will. Retro has promised even more exploration and puzzles for fans.

Annoying that they just don't say one way or the other.

Anyone else thinking about all this stuff?

Buffering...buffering....buffering....c'mon dammit. :\

Also, if they wanted to make it a "Halo competitor", then it would have multiplayer. I don't know why you're worried though. Retro Studies wouldn't just go and do that to a Metroid game after all they've done with Prime 1 and 2.

if it doesn't have that feel of exploration that Prime and Prime 2 had, along with the whole "solve puzzles to find new items that let you open all that stuff you saw earlier" mechanic, I'll be sorely disappointed.

I seem to remember reading some interview with Retro or some Nintendo higher-up saying that Prime 3 was not going to be light on Metroid's trademark backtracking. Can't for the life of me remember where exactly, though.

I really wouldn't get too worried about them switching Metroid's focus to a first person shooter at the expense of the exploration elements that the series is known for. It makes sense that the demos and previews would focus on the combat element since Nintendo is trying to prove the Wii's FPS capabilities. Metroid is obviously Nintendo's big shooter franchise. It doesn't matter if the Prime series has an adventure focus, it's still the in house proving ground.

I figure Corruption will have a more intense action element than the first two Prime games did, but I don't expect it to become Doom or even closely related.

In short, the ads may have a shooter focus, but that doesn't mean they represent the focus of the game as a whole.

Hate to bother ya, Coop, but I can't seem to find that list. Any VC shmups you could recommend if you don't mind?

They're here and here. The first was on 114. I got confused by Bahamut quoting me on 116 :lol:

But of the one's that are currently on the VC, I'd recommend...

SNES R-Type III: The Third Lightning (superb horizontal SNES-only shmup)

SNES Gradius III (not quite arcade perfect, but a very good port of the arcade horizontal shmup)

Genesis Bio-Hazard Battle (a wild and good shmup, with an insect theme running through the enitre game, and fantastic animation)

TG-16 R-Type (a near perfect port of the classic arcade horizontal shmup)

NES Gradius (pretty good port of the horizontal original)

NES Galaga (a single screen shmup, and quite faithful to the original)

NES Xevious (a simple vertical shmup, but an arcade classic that was ported the NES pretty well)

N64 Star Fox 64 (a very nice 3D shmup that plays much like the SNES original, with some extra types of gameplay to break up the "on rails" missions)

I've also heard very good things about vertical shmup Blazing Lasers for the TG-16, but I've never gotten to play it. Plus, I've played the original arcade version of the horizontal shmup Ordyne, and it wasn't too bad... but I've not played the TG-16 port.

You make it sound like you won't be beating it in one sitting :-P. j/k

Anyway, at least unless someone else plays the game between you playing it (or you reset the game), you get that pseudo-save state effect on the VC so you won't have to enter codes every time you pick up the game.

Man, I completely forgot about the save state. No more worries here.

Unfortunately I can't watch those new metroid videos because my wifi connection is down. From the sounds of it, they seem very interesting. Damn, I hate being with out wifi.

What I'm worried about for Corruption is just.. how much exploration will there -really- be? Will each planet you visit be little more than a single region in each game, but called a planet to make people think it's bigger.. or will they actually be fairly fleshed out, at least half the size of the area of Metroid Prim 1?

With Samus starting out fully powered up, I'm worried there won't be a whole lot of actual exploration and revisiting, since you won't have to go back later, to hunt for all the missiles and whatnot.

Unless they pull something cheesy and cause her to overload sometime after the first area, so you lose all your missiles and energy tanks and have to go back to reclaim them. Again.

Better that, than having to start fresh with no upgrades at all, I suppose..