Nintendo Wii

Smoke

They're here and here. The first was on 114. I got confused by Bahamut quoting me on 116 :lol:

But of the one's that are currently on the VC, I'd recommend...

SNES R-Type III: The Third Lightning (superb horizontal SNES-only shmup)

SNES Gradius III (not quite arcade perfect, but a very good port of the arcade horizontal shmup)

Genesis Bio-Hazard Battle (a wild and good shmup, with an insect theme running through the enitre game, and fantastic animation)

TG-16 R-Type (a near perfect port of the classic arcade horizontal shmup)

NES Gradius (pretty good port of the horizontal original)

NES Galaga (a single screen shmup, and quite faithful to the original)

NES Xevious (a simple vertical shmup, but an arcade classic that was ported the NES pretty well)

N64 Star Fox 64 (a very nice 3D shmup that plays much like the SNES original, with some extra types of gameplay to break up the "on rails" missions)

I've also heard very good things about vertical shmup Blazing Lasers for the TG-16, but I've never gotten to play it. Plus, I've played the original arcade version of the horizontal shmup Ordyne, and it wasn't too bad... but I've not played the TG-16 port.

Thanks, Coop! I picked up Gradius 3 and Blazing Lazers. To be honest, I would recommend Blazing Lazers to you. It's pretty easy, but I had a good time taking a run through it.

EDIT: Any idea what the system update does?

Nintendo just proved how bad ass they are. Wow, they totally just impressed me.

Before downloading the download button, a message appears saying that basically said "This update is optional. If you have any sort of modifications that you did to your wii, it would be best if you didn't download this because it would more than likely cause your wii not to work. So you modders, just a heads up."

Classy, very classy.

Thanks, Coop! I picked up Gradius 3 and Blazing Lazers. To be honest, I would recommend Blazing Lazers to you. It's pretty easy, but I had a good time taking a run through it.

EDIT: Any idea what the system update does?

Says it fixes up some bugs in the shop channel and some freezing errors with the internet. What they mean by that part, is that they plugged the potential FLV hole, which makes me think someone internally came up with a way to unlock the Wii through it.

So wasn't the internet channel supposed to be disabled after a certain point? I just plugged my Wii in after working for the summer and it's still there. Or is it the "full" version that I have to buy.

If you downloaded it before the end of June, the Internet Channel is free as can be. You only have to pay if you didn't download it before then, and no, the trial version doesn't expire.

What I'm worried about for Corruption is just.. how much exploration will there -really- be? Will each planet you visit be little more than a single region in each game, but called a planet to make people think it's bigger.. or will they actually be fairly fleshed out, at least half the size of the area of Metroid Prim 1?

With Samus starting out fully powered up, I'm worried there won't be a whole lot of actual exploration and revisiting, since you won't have to go back later, to hunt for all the missiles and whatnot.

Unless they pull something cheesy and cause her to overload sometime after the first area, so you lose all your missiles and energy tanks and have to go back to reclaim them. Again.

Better that, than having to start fresh with no upgrades at all, I suppose..

You won't start out fully powered up. You'll start out with basic items like charge shot, morph ball, missiles, one or two energy tanks. You'll get to keep those after the first stage, and build your power up as the game progresses.

And this game will be bigger than the previous two games. Anyway, after watching the videos last night, I'm thinking the Mother Brain is coming into town. Ohhhh yeaaaah.

I wouldn't mind if Metroid lost the exploring and backtracking aspect. I will be the first to come out and say it, that shit gets boring. I'd like to see Samus bust out with all guns blazing and kick Halo's ass.

Then apparently you don't want to play Metroid. Just because the series moved into a first person perspective doesn't mean it should become a different experience. If Metroid stopped being Metroid and became another FPS, I wouldn't play it. I don't happen to like FPS games much. I might rent one in a blue moon, but I own none. Samus doesn't need to become genero marine # 456 just because a handful of people out there feel "threatened" by Halo. Halo isn't even on my radar.

Then apparently you don't want to play Metroid. Just because the series moved into a first person perspective doesn't mean it should become a different experience. If Metroid stopped being Metroid and became another FPS, I wouldn't play it. I don't happen to like FPS games much. I might rent one in a blue moon, but I own none. Samus doesn't need to become genero marine # 456 just because a handful of people out there feel "threatened" by Halo. Halo isn't even on my radar.

Ditto. That's why I don't like Hunters at all - it's just another FPS with a Metroid skin on it.

Thanks man. The Auroa video was very interesting.

By the way, I am completely agianst Metroid becoming more of a First Person Shooter than a First Person Adventure. I really like all the exploring and back tracking parts of the mertoid games. I guess thats why I love the series so much. To me, these elements are what make Metroid. However, I'm not worried about prime straying away from this at all. Like others have said already, if they wanted this to be a Halo-Killer they would have added on-line play or at least split-screen multiplayer. You just can't have a FPS these days without multiplayer. Also the fact that retro is focusing on single player just screams at me, "Classic Metroid!". That spiderball video also looks to me like they won't be lacking in the platforming and puzzle department.

Just to clarify, I don't hate MP hunters. It was a great game. I happen to like FPSs but because MPH played more like a FPS, it didn't feel like a Metroid Game to me. I would be very dissapointed if Prime 3 did turn out to be more of a FPS but I wouldn't not play the game. I won't enjoy it as much but I won't absouletely hate it either.

Just to clarify: I would have no problem with bosses in this game becoming very fast-paced, intense firefights. After all, I see no reason why brushing with death should be more of a puzzle than a heart-pounding race to kill and survive. It's just that Samus and her "blazing guns" should restrain themselves until such moments, because really when you're a lone figure exploring an alien world that contains God-knows-what you want to be more cautious when you can and get a grip on exactly what's out there without being tracked through a trail of explosions and corpses.

Yes to intense fights but only after yes to methodical exploration.

Just to clarify: I would have no problem with bosses in this game becoming very fast-paced, intense firefights. After all, I see no reason why brushing with death should be more of a puzzle than a heart-pounding race to kill and survive. It's just that Samus and her "blazing guns" should restrain themselves until such moments, because really when you're a lone figure exploring an alien world that contains God-knows-what you want to be more cautious when you can and get a grip on exactly what's out there without being tracked through a trail of explosions and corpses.

Yes to intense fights but only after yes to methodical exploration.

Which is perfectly in line with the Metroid experience. Look at Super Metroid or any of the others; intense guns blazing action exists with bosses and regular but tough enemies. How do you kill 2-D Ridley? You spam it with missiles. The difference between the 2-D games and regular run-and-guns like Contra is this: Shooting the enemy is just part of the larger experience, not the defining element of it. The same relationship exists between 3-D Metroid and FPS games.

What with all the talk about Prime 3, along with the Prime 3 Preview Channel update, I'm getting more anxious for it to come out. Also, can't wait for Super Metroid!

Offtopic, I wonder if the MP3 Preview Channel will become something of a more general Preview Channel after the game's release. Seems to me they could have weekly updates for it, like they do for the Shop Channel, and have content available for at least a select few upcoming 1st and 3rd party games. I'd imagine they'd take down the content for a specific game soon after its release and whatnot. [/spectulation]

Just to clarify, I don't hate MP hunters. It was a great game. I happen to like FPSs but because MPH played more like a FPS, it didn't feel like a Metroid Game to me. I would be very dissapointed if Prime 3 did turn out to be more of a FPS but I wouldn't not play the game. I won't enjoy it as much but I won't absouletely hate it either.

Just to sort of jump off this - if you want more of what Hunters had to offer, look at Call of Duty DS, which apparently has an identical control scheme but is far more complex and intricate. I'm hoping that for people that want more of what METROID has to offer, Prime 3 is going to satisfy. I just can't see how having multiple worlds and all that could really work easily though without making it pretty linear - part of what I really liked about the older games was the fact that at any time you could uncover an elevator that leads to a previously inaccessible area in another portion. Getting rid of that mechanic would make it seem like "levels" with "missions", turning it into far more of a shooter, no matter how much exploration is in the game. Yeah, I know I'm bitching too much. I'm still going to get it on launch day and play the hell out of it.

Call of Duty DS does look interesting and I plan on trying out. I never really cared much for the Call of Duty series since they where military based shooters but for some reason Call of Duty 4 caught my attention. The DS verion is based off 4, so I do plan on giving it a try as soon as it is avialable.

Also, I know this is wishful thinking but, I hoping after the release of Prime3 or included in the release of Prime3 that Nintendo gives out some info on a new Metroid, maybe Metroid Dread. Kind of like what they did with MP and Fusion and MP2 and Hunters. They included this littel booklet of info on the games in the packaging. I know wishful thinking, but from what I remeber Dread was never completely confirmed as being cancelled. Who knows, maybe its still out there somewhere.

Just to sort of jump off this - if you want more of what Hunters had to offer, look at Call of Duty DS, which apparently has an identical control scheme but is far more complex and intricate. I'm hoping that for people that want more of what METROID has to offer, Prime 3 is going to satisfy. I just can't see how having multiple worlds and all that could really work easily though without making it pretty linear - part of what I really liked about the older games was the fact that at any time you could uncover an elevator that leads to a previously inaccessible area in another portion. Getting rid of that mechanic would make it seem like "levels" with "missions", turning it into far more of a shooter, no matter how much exploration is in the game. Yeah, I know I'm bitching too much. I'm still going to get it on launch day and play the hell out of it.

Who says you can't visit the other worlds whenever? Samus does have a ship after all.

I just can't see how having multiple worlds and all that could really work easily though without making it pretty linear - part of what I really liked about the older games was the fact that at any time you could uncover an elevator that leads to a previously inaccessible area in another portion. Getting rid of that mechanic would make it seem like "levels" with "missions", turning it into far more of a shooter, no matter how much exploration is in the game.

Well, it all depends on how the worlds are connected to each other. If the only way to travel is to jump in your ship and fly to a space port then yeah, there's a risk that things could end up too contained. But, and this is pure speculation, there could be other ways to travel, like "warp portals" that move you from a point on one planet to a point on another. Basically they would function in the same way as the traditional elevator, you just move to different worlds instead of different lands on one world. Or perhaps the ship mechanic could work the same way, with you flying to newly uncovered locations, though that would certainly lack the immediacy of opening a door to someplace unexpected.