Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Played some more games. Here's what I like, in the order that I like it.

Mercury Meltdown Revolution is a fantastic budget game. Plays like Super Monkey Ball, but with a lot of twists and differences. I highly recommend it. $20 in stores. Though most the music is merely okay, some is even remix worthy. Particularly Bio Lab stage 16. Wonderful song, I may rip it so you can have a listen.

Also, Geometry Wars Galaxies is made of win. You can even send DS demos from the Wii. It's a fully fleshed out game with 64 stages instead of one .. and other mechanics like Geoms (money for unlockables, also for a new multiplier system) and drones (a little invulnerable box that helps you out). It plays great on the Wii, and if you don't like IR aiming you can dual-analog it with the classic controller. There's 2P Co-op and Vs, and it also includes the original XBLA version. The difficulty is varied, some stages are nice and hard ^_^ I have no complaints about this game.

Soul Calibur Legends is mediocre. It's a hack-and-slash adventure, no more, no less. It doesn't have the depth, or even as good a story as the SC fighting games. There are 7 playable characters, including the surprise character ( Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia) who happens to be my favorite. Everything about the game reeks of poor design, but it's decent for a hack-and-slash beat-em-up style 3D game. The graphics look great for a Wii game.

Cruis'n is outright terrible. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. It brings shame to what was once a good arcade game series.

Castlevania- An NES classic. Sure, the graphics are rough, but the music is memorable, and the gameplay is good.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest- Better graphics and equally good tunes, this game's several times larger thanks to the broader quest. Another NES classic.

Or do the smart thing and buy a PSP and get THE two best Castlevania games on a single disc or any download service that offers SoTN. Old Castlevania games are way too unforgiving to be 'fun' IMO. I don't think most casual gamers are up for it.

Ninja Gaiden 1+2- I'm putting these together because they play damn near the same. Both games are hard as hell, but they're also quality titles thanks to the graphics, music and level design.

But foremost, the legendary difficulty level.

As for Soul Calibur Legends, I really wish developers will stop diverting good old fighting games into messes of 3rd part hack and slash adventures. Like that new Guilty Gears adventure game that looks like it'll be the worst game ever.

Nah. I was just joking. The game is punishment from beginning to end, and will fight you're claiming victory every step of the way.

I think the furthest I've made it the 2nd time around was fighting the boss with the mouth for a belly. Somewhere around there. It's been so long since I've played it. I think what made it hard for me is that I thought you had to have the bracelet the whole 2nd time through for some reason, so I never worried about getting any other good weapon.

Or do the smart thing and buy a PSP and get THE two best Castlevania games on a single disc or any download service that offers SoTN. Old Castlevania games are way too unforgiving to be 'fun' IMO. I don't think most casual gamers are up for it.

Bah. Difficult without being cheap is half the fun. Besides, I don't think there are too many casual gamers in this thread. And if there are, they need to sharpen their teeth on some games that are harder than Bowling ;-)

Bigfoot- You mean this guy?

SuperGhoulsNGhosts-26.png

Mercury Meltdown Revolution is a fantastic budget game. Plays like Super Monkey Ball, but with a lot of twists and differences. I highly recommend it. $20 in stores. Though most the music is merely okay, some is even remix worthy. Particularly Bio Lab stage 16. Wonderful song, I may rip it so you can have a listen.

Couldn't find the tune online, so I ripped it myself. Mercury Meltdown Revolution Bio Lab Stage 16. Apologies for the slight static, I had to use a poor cable to route the RCA outs from the wii to my computer.

For anybody who enjoyed Pokemon Snap and are waiting for that to come to the Virtual Console... The VC game will be modifiied to allow players to save the photos they take to the Wii, so you can post it to the message board and hopefully put it in your SD card. http://wii.ign.com/articles/838/838748p1.html?RSSwhen2007-11-30_021900&RSSid=838748

Oh, and I do like Mercury Meltdown. It was a nice game to help fill the gap before Mario Galaxy game around.

Bah. Difficult without being cheap is half the fun. Besides, I don't think there are too many casual gamers in this thread. And if there are, they need to sharpen their teeth on some games that are harder than Bowling ;-)

Bigfoot- You mean this guy?

SuperGhoulsNGhosts-26.png

Yeah. There's two versions of him, right?

Played some more games. Here's what I like, in the order that I like it.

Totally agreed. It's a great game for the price. Also, like you say, some of the music is remix worthy. Check out Geo - Stage 15. It's a simple little rock tune, but I might consider creating a vocal remix of some kind. I'm already playing around with it on guitar.

Atma, if you know -- how's the connectivity between Wii and DS on Geometry Wars?

it's pretty neat to be able to transfer the classic game to my ds, just tried it tonight

and i'd tell imagery to get the wii version if he hadnt already decided on it, i dont care much for the way the ship is controlled on the ds

I've got both versions, and the Wii is far superior. The only thing the DS has going for it is that I can play during work in the lab, etc. Still, both are excellent. I'd highly advise playing without the stylus on the DS -- it will seem like you will lose a degree of analog control, but the slower speed on the system makes up for that (and it feels even more like Smash TV, which isn't a bad thing).