Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Noticed the flashing blue light this morning as I was getting ready to go to work, and found the Nintendo Channel is now available. I understand that it's supposed to let your Wii work basically as a DS download station, though I didn't have time to check it out (I also couldn't even open the channel because apparently my Wii is too full...dammit Nintendo, I want my increased storage options now! :P). Should be kinda cool, since I don't think I've taken my DS to a download station pretty much since the first month of owning it but it'd be nice to play some new demos.

Man, I got the Nintendo Channel this morning and used it to download the Ninja Gaiden demo. The demo itself is no longer than the Metroid Prime: Hunters one, but man was that game cool for the 5-10 mins I got to play it on Normal difficulty (I unlocked a harder one, but I had to leave for school)

Getting a chance to actually DOWNLOAD DS demos makes me a very happy boy.

The Nintendo Channel is awesome. I am playing Cooking Mama 2 right now and I am trying to purposely make a bad pie. :-P

This will certainly be one of my favorite channels from now on as long as they constantly add demos. They would be silly not too, as I am already pondering buying Cooking Mama. It's a great marketing device.

Cool stuff, but honestly they should have had this channel all along. There have been homebrew apps out for years now that let you download demos from a database directly from your DS over Wi-Fi.

I agree with you. At the very least I was expecting this, like, last January, just given that this is one of the many features of the Wii they highlighted during those pre-launch press-conferences. Oh well, at least it's here now :P.

So I've been playing Okami on Wii. It's a great game and all, but my biggest problem is not the "waggle" combat (which I actually prefer to Twilight Princess's rapid-fire style; the directional dodging with the Nunchuk could work better, but then again TP could never quite tell what should have been a shield bash from what should have been a spin strike). I have issues with the drawing, as it seems a little too strict for the pointer controls (especially on the issue of a "straight" line; it can sometimes take 2 or 3 attempts to recognize a power slash on something, although circular techniques are a little easier). Was it ever so tough to draw properly on the PS2, or is that a problem unique to the Wiimote adaptation?

The power slash must have been the easiest thing to do on the PS2 version. Also, I had no problems with the analog controls for the circle either. I just don't see any reason to buy the Wii version considering all those control quirks. Sounds to me like the wiimote functionality was mostly tacked on the game.

So I've been playing Okami on Wii. It's a great game and all, but my biggest problem is not the "waggle" combat (which I actually prefer to Twilight Princess's rapid-fire style; the directional dodging with the Nunchuk could work better, but then again TP could never quite tell what should have been a shield bash from what should have been a spin strike). I have issues with the drawing, as it seems a little too strict for the pointer controls (especially on the issue of a "straight" line; it can sometimes take 2 or 3 attempts to recognize a power slash on something, although circular techniques are a little easier). Was it ever so tough to draw properly on the PS2, or is that a problem unique to the Wiimote adaptation?

Only the times when I have to draw the moon the pointer fails me. It always wants to make wind. :? I usually am able to get power slashes and whatnot the majority of the time... just hold Z and you can get them consistantly.

My issue with the game would have to be the camera control. It feels really clunky mapped to the D-Pad, and makes me wish I had it on a 2nd analogue stick most of the time. :|

I have no troubles with the slash or the moon. Just make a backwards C for the moon. You don't have to be that elaborate. Also make sure you're looking at the sky. As for the slash, I just learned to draw it quick(like an actual slash) and that helped. By spoiler the time I made it to the second Orochi I cut every head without missing once./spoiler.

Trying to draw the sun sometimes gets mistaken as wind though. That and bloom.

Zed. Zee. Z. Whatever you want to call it, however you want to spell it, whatever you want it to look like, it's your friend, it's intuitive, and it rarely misses me a power slash. You should try using it more often if you don't already, or maybe you just need to find something to steady your wrist with.

Sometimes I fumble up the circular motions, but I find half of the problem is my Wii sensor bar really acting up when I sit in certain ways and not the game itself. The game has actually recognized some pretty awkward looking circles as being what I intended them to be, though, which leaves me impressed.

Sadly, I never had a chance to play Okami before the Wii version. But so far I'm left wanting to slap myself for never realizing how awesome of a game it is, and I'm telling everyone who has a PS2 or Wii that likes Zelda-style adventures to buy it. Especially now more than ever, since the Wii version is out and there's no excuse not to buy at least one of the two versions. I don't know which of the two has superior controls, I'm sure different people you talk to will have different opinions, but the whole painting with the Wii remote aspect has been a lot of fun for me.

Z? What?...

(I really had no idea that was a feature. And I thought I was paying pretty good attention to the tutorials.)

Anyway, Injin, the reason to buy the Wii version is I don't have a PS2. And I'm sure this is a valid reason for many others as well. Besides, as someone else mentioned, using widescreen and progressive scan mode on Wii makes the game look gorgeous. And all in all, I find the Wiimote controls more annoying than fun--I just don't have a steady enough hand to draw straight lines using a pointer without help.

I got Okami, and am completely defeated by that darn brush. It takes two to five attempts per circle I try to draw (I'm about three hours into the game). I am stuck at Mr. Orange's cutscene with the drawing circles and stuff, and I have tried for hours to complete it, but drawing one circle is hard enough, drawing 4+ in a row is impossible for me. Sometimes it shines the sun instead of growing the flowers. I'm at a complete loss. Though I did figure out after awhile that I need to have the ends of the circle meet exactly or something...

The circle must be closed for it to register. I really, really wish they gave this game its own sensitivity setting, because I can't for the life of me draw as smooth as it demands. It's made the game harder, at least. I guess that can be seen as a plus (I died! I actually freakin' died!)

The ends of the circle don't have to meet exactly, in fact it doesn't even have to be very circle-like at all, but it must be some sort of completely enclosed oval (if it's open it won't work) and for most things it has to completely encircle the thing you're trying to affect. Make sure your circles are big enough or it won't work.

(HALF-JACKED)

You know I feel like i'm the only one that hasn't had any problems with the brush strokes. Maybe it's because i've played a lot of pointer heavy games? The only problem i think i've had is with the blossom stroke not working. I'll get a sun instead, or it just wont work. With the power slash i usually just do a quick flick to the left and it works every time. Though i'll admit I do get annoyed when the sensor bar goes haywire and starts jumping left and right. It always happens during some intense moment in a boss battle...

Oh and I second Imagerys widescreen progressive scan argument. This game is beautiful.

You know I feel like i'm the only one that hasn't had any problems with the brush strokes. Maybe it's because i've played a lot of pointer heavy games? The only problem i think i've had is with the blossom stroke not working. I'll get a sun instead, or it just wont work. With the power slash i usually just do a quick flick to the left and it works every time. Though i'll admit I do get annoyed when the sensor bar goes haywire and starts jumping left and right. It always happens during some intense moment in a boss battle...

Oh and I second Imagerys widescreen progressive scan argument. This game is beautiful.

I don't tend to have problems with the celestial brush techniques, though I agree with the comment about camera control being a little clunky (especially in places like Sei-an City, where you have a lot more objects).

To help diagnose the sensor bar going haywire as you mentioned, does the cursor also jump around a bit when you're just on the Wii menu? If so and you've already upped the sensor bar sensitivity (or whatever they call it in the Wii system options), you might sitting too bar away from the sensor bar for it to work perfectly so you might wanna get a 3rd party sensor bar (since they tend to be stronger...IGN has good reviews on them). Alternatively, if you have another strong source of light (like the sun through a window) it can confuse the wiimote a bit. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, since I had that problem before getting thicker curtains (windows right behind my tv) and a 3rd party sensor bar (got the Nyko wireless one since it was the strongest at the time, then modified it to be wired so I didn't have to worry about batteries).

Also, Wiiware on Monday! :-D Very excited for LostWinds especially.

I'm personally looking forward to World of Goo the most, though that's not due for release for a while yet. Lost Winds definitely looks engaging, or at least whimsical.

Yeah, I heard World of Goo is supposed to be pretty awesome. I'll definitely be getting that with LostWinds on Monday. As a side note, it'll be interesting to see if WiiWare titles' reviews will be collected together on Metacritic - they don't with VC games, but do with XBLA games (even the oldschool releases).