Nintendo Wii

Smoke

has anyone noticed that smoke (the OP guy) hasn't posted since september of 2007? what's up with him?

normally i wouldn't say anything, but he's a 14k post guy. you don't just up and walk away from that, you know?

Sometimes you do. I've just been busy.

EDIT: Also, AC is out in Europe and I've got a copy.

Name: Smoke

Town: Crysta

Friendcode: 2406-8884-7176

Fruit: Peach

Well, I've pretty much given up hope that even 5% of the future Wii titles will be geared toward someone with my interests (games, not waggle) so my Wii is going to Ebay. It may be replaced with a PS3, but not an Xbox 360 due to hardware failures. Big failure of MS to nab my $$ as otherwise I would have purchased a 360 as a stop-gap to play on my old SDTV without having to buy a new HDTV.

Wii held good promise, but only before it was released. I did enjoy certain features in Zelda, although admittedly that was a GC game and they still haven't released a sequel. I also enjoyed certain parts of Metroid, but it got old quick because it's the same combat gameplay over and over with no variation except for bosses. I wish Excite Truck were on another console because then I could play it with proper controls. I've beat RE:4 Wii Edition 5 times now. I have no desire to play it again or even look at it for a second. It's definitely a masterpiece but now it is time to move on.

The Nintendo Wii is a Wii, and if people like that fine but it is definitely not a game console... I look at the rack of about 50 titles for Wii in Wal-mart, and I just don't see anything that's recognizable to me as a video game.

Well, I've pretty much given up hope that even 5% of the future Wii titles will be geared toward someone with my interests (games, not waggle) so my Wii is going to Ebay. It may be replaced with a PS3, but not an Xbox 360 due to hardware failures. Big failure of MS to nab my $$ as otherwise I would have purchased a 360 as a stop-gap to play on my old SDTV without having to buy a new HDTV.

Wii held good promise, but only before it was released. I did enjoy certain features in Zelda, although admittedly that was a GC game and they still haven't released a sequel. I also enjoyed certain parts of Metroid, but it got old quick because it's the same combat gameplay over and over with no variation except for bosses. I wish Excite Truck were on another console because then I could play it with proper controls. I've beat RE:4 Wii Edition 5 times now. I have no desire to play it again or even look at it for a second. It's definitely a masterpiece but now it is time to move on.

The Nintendo Wii is a Wii, and if people like that fine but it is definitely not a game console... I look at the rack of about 50 titles for Wii in Wal-mart, and I just don't see anything that's recognizable to me as a video game.

K. I'm also privy to information of future Wii titles. Enjoy Ebaying your Wii.

It may be replaced with a PS3, but not an Xbox 360 due to hardware failures. Big failure of MS to nab my $$ as otherwise I would have purchased a 360 as a stop-gap to play on my old SDTV without having to buy a new HDTV.

you DO know that jasper (the new 360 motherboard) is making RRoD obsolete, right? not to mention you can buy a refurb 360 that's been fixed to prevent rrod from kittykar here on the forums for like 150$.

Seriously. The 360 is probably the best console this generation(not in a sales figure sort of way). I haven't loved a console so much since my SNES.

Anyway, this is a Wii thread after all. I wish Nintendo would change their act, but they're making boat loads of money doing it this way. Even a magazine recently shut down because of the audience that Nintendo caters to now.

i too bought my wii thinking it'd be great. it isn't. i have ten games for it in the span of two years (not so bad, i guess), but most i doubt i'll ever touch again. the only one i really really ever got into was mario strikers, but only because the competitive metagame that formed around it was absolutely incredible.

i've just revisited older generations--collected a ton of PS2 junk, NES games, stuff like that. and i've recently gotten big into PC! the wii can't sustain me like the PS2 or even the gamecube could last generation.

bottom line: wii isn't bad, it's just not a "primary console," which is a big issue. when SNES and genesis came out, it was difficult to have both, as they both had so many goods things going for them and it seemed impractical to be able to enjoy the many, many good games for either. while there's really nothing i want to play on the 360, i definitely think it's established itself as the primary console, while having a wii is a nice but completely optional decision. 360 has the games everyone wants, most people buy a wii for three or four really really good games.

Yeah, I'm not really playing my Wii nowadays. I'm getting about twenty times more use out of my DS.

I think the Wii has sort of half-delivered what we were all expecting out of it. We saw things like light-sabre fights, and we're only now getting something like that this late into the life of the system... and it requires an add-on to make it work properly. And it may still be a shitty game. I don't know, I lost interest in the Star Wars game after a week. I think it's still being made.

Honestly? I'd consider selling it if I was hard up for money, but I'm kind of hoping that at some point, someone will come up with that super-awesome game that will make it all worthwhile. Twilight Princess was alright, Mario Galaxy was kind of fun, but really, I've gotten no real enjoyment out of Nintendo's effort this generation.

I'm still up for their portables, though. Good stuff the last fifteen years!

Yeah, I'm not really playing my Wii nowadays.

i agree. i use my wii mostly when i have friends or family over for casual gaming. as a solo gaming platform, i pretty much only play no more heroes.

i probably won't be selling it though. its still interactive and fun when i have people over, even if all we play is wii sports, boom blox, or one of the raving rabbids games.

My signature be damned. Nintendo is really frustrating me. I got the wii on release day, and I have 8 games. That's a long span to have only gotten 8 games. I've bought more VC games than wii games. So why don't they start producing SNES games again??? It would be alot cheaper to produce, and people would buy/enjoy them!

It's not that the Wii is bad. Nintendo has just forgotten about the catagory of gamers that have kept them in business this long. They've taken a different direction and stopped catering to 'us'. Good for them. Bad for us.

I'd probably get a 360 if this hadn't turned me off of console gaming.

sadface

So why don't they start producing SNES games again??? It would be alot cheaper to produce, and people would buy/enjoy them!

i agree. the mountains of crap that get released on the wii doesn't help either. it just drowns out the few gems the wii really has. unfortunately, there's so many non-gamers who buy wii's just for wii sports that nintendo probably doesn't care enough to really hunker down and design some killer apps anymore. they're just gonna rake in the money.

All of this whining can be equated to a movie aficionado (sp?) complaining that they don't make good epics anymore, that the epics they do make are catered to a more "casual" audience. Or someone who reads books complaining about the disturbing proliferation of books of the pop-up variety.

Much as it annoys me that Nintendo decided to be smart rather than loyal to a fault, one could argue that this shift in the industry has been a long time coming. Movies, books, television, et al already appeal to almost everyone. It's only natural for games to follow suit. But because we've been catered to for so long, the shift is the most painful for us.

Moreover, Nintendo's flak it's getting for this is somewhat undeserved. Since the Wii was released, there's been a new Metroid, a new Mario, a new Mario Kart, a new Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, a handful of decent-to-awesome third-party games, as well as any other Nintendo franchises I've neglected to mention. And, here's the thing, it's only been two years. Most of the really quality games we've come to expect from Nintendo? Yeah, they take a little longer to make, and it's not like they start as soon as the previous one is done. In the past, on the GC and N64, we got about the same number of truly quality games in the same time frame. It just SEEMED larger back then because everything ELSE was also catered to us. And considering the kind of games Nintendo has lined up for next year (Punch-Out and Sin and Punishment 2, for example), I really don't think we have much to worry about. They haven't forgotten anything except to apply some standards to third parties now that their system is so successful.

All that said, I must now turn to the gamers directly. I'm not surprised everyone's getting mad, for the reasons I've stated before. However, we as a demographic are not totally blameless. We seemingly demand nothing short of perfection and we want new and creative every single year, from every single game we buy. We hold reviews in the highest regard (consciously or not) and when a game gets anything below a 7/10 or a similar score we avoid it like the plague (most of the time). In that sense, a lot of developers aren't even gonna try to make a game that appeals to us. It's too expensive, they don't have the time or the manpower, and the profits are too thin. There's also way too much potential to screw up and end up bankrupting the company. Casual gamers have less discriminating tastes, and they still pay the same amount for a game as one of the hardcore (unless it's a budget game, in which case they see a great deal instead of a trap), so why NOT cater to them? To those who feel "betrayed", keep in mind the industry doesn't owe you jack.

Another note about reviewers. Should this casual trend continue to increase (and it will), they may find their method of scoring to become laughably quaint. As they're forced to review casual games, they may find they can't properly weigh its pros and cons, because the contents of this game and the games they've come to expect are two entirely different things. Reviewers may have to become more "worldly", like a movie critic, and review games with a certain audience in mind. Of course the hardcore guy doesn't care about Garden Seeding: The Game! Why are you reviewing it based on that standard? He was never gonna buy it anyway!

So, in conclusion, I think there's nothing to really worry about. We're not being marginalized or shoo'd out of the room. The industry needs time to grow and adjust to the new demographics it's beginning to cater to.

Yeah, yeah, tl;dr.

Yeah, yeah, tl;dr.

No, I know it's not entirely Nintendo's fault. I'm just feeling like there's nothing out so far that I really like.

I was planning to replay Twilight Princess, but then Left4Dead came out... and there are all those DS games from the last few months...

I'm just hoping that within the next year, we'll see a title that makes me want to keep my Wii and give my DS a little vacation.

I have a question regarding the whole "Dragon Quest on (insert console name), console war over" mentality.

As I understand it, people say that if you have the next Dragon Quest game on your system, that means that you can expect such a huge amount of additional sales, from the supposedly large number of Dragon Quest fans out there. You get Dragon Quest, you get the fanbase. You get the fanbase, you get them buying your console.

But, doesn't Dragon Quest have mostly a Japanese fanbase? Even if every DQ fan buys the next system just for that game, Japan only makes up one part of the world market. And, if I'm not mistaken, DQ isn't as popular in North America as it is in Japan, nor is it in Europe. Those are the three big markets, and only one of them can "guarantee" (if you will) a jump in console sales connected to the release of a new DQ game.

So how is it that one game, with only a strong fanbase in one market, can claim to make any one system "the winner" when there are so many other factors involved?

If it's a matter of having the most popular series, then I don't get how that would work. DQ is listed as the 17th most selling franchise, beaten by many other series, some that started out years afterwards. It would seem more likely that having The Sims, GTA, or any Final Fantasy game for your system would be more help. But all I hear about DQ is "whatever system gets it, wins".

Explain to me why this is, and if you can back it up with some hard data, that would be appreciated.