Nintendo Wii

Smoke

The Damned, basically, you're right. It's not the case at all.

It's never been the end-all-be-all for consoles that people tout it as. Perhaps ten, maybe even fifteen-twenty years ago, it was the high water mark for RPGs (and even then, only definitely in Japan). It's still sold well since then nostalgia and a fairly solid design (much like Final Fantasy to most Western RPG players), and even to the point of a cultural phenomena.

But with Japan cornering a shrinking corner of the global video game market (both in number of games and variety thereof), it's even lost a bit of that thunder. Japan has shrugged off the 360 nearly unanimously, but MS is doing quite well with it solely from American/European/etc sales. The "death" of Japan's video game dominance has been in the media for years, and maybe there's something to it.

Yeah, that wiki article only highlights some of the shortcomings of the Japanese market, namely that long development times are a death in such a competitive market. There's a reason why The Sims has sold more copies in nine years than Final Fantasy has in twenty-one. I can't fathom the frequency of Sims releases (though it's a bit unfair as a direct comparison) while I'm not sure FFXIII will come out before the Apocalypse.

I'm sure you get the gist though. Perhaps a better example would be that yearly Madden games over the last twenty and frequent GTA games over eleven years have both sold almost as many copies as the FFs while the market for Madden for example is limited almost exclusively to N. America.

ANYWAY! To the point. Seeing as Japan has already thrown the 360 out and it's pretty obvious that the Wii and PS3 aren't directly competing at this point (in the majority of the world market - most of America definitely sees the Wii as a "family fun machine" at this point), they really aren't going to decide much.

A single game is not going to decide the "console war" and if one was, it sure as hell is not going to be DQ.

Oh, haha, I know. It was just something that's been sitting on my mind lately. My roommate visits both the GameFAQs and GameTrailers forums fairly often, so I'm exposed to another side of idiocy that I don't normally see... Kind of sparked that train of thought the other day.

Anyway, I like Dragon Quest as much as I can like a JRPG, and regardless of my opinion of Square-Enix, they've always been pretty good judges of the console climate (or they've been lucky).

How the hell did this slip by me during E3?

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2008/06/21/f-zero-wii-aka-f-zero-z-said-to-be-announced-at-e3.htm

It seems a little iffy, but the person who posted it claims it came from a "reliable source". Can anyone confirm/deny this?

@ Thalzon- You're 100% right, but I think what really makes this painful is that unlike a book or a movie, videogames require AT LEAST a $200 investment (that's assuming you buy a 360 Arcade and the cheapest downloadable game possible). It's one thing to be disappointed in a $10 movie or a $30 book, and quite another to be disappointed in an entire system.

Seems pretty iffy. No one big is reporting on it yet, so I'm inclined to call it an unsubstantiated rumor until anything happens. At they very least, though, it was definitely not reported on at E3.

AX/GX logo with a Z photoshopped over it? Weapons in F-Zero? Lethal Marathon in Brawl, like they were dropping hints on this? (Melee: 2001, ie. before GX even came out.)

Credibility? Zero.

Seems pretty iffy. No one big is reporting on it yet, so I'm inclined to call it an unsubstantiated rumor until anything happens. At they very least, though, it was definitely not reported on at E3.

AX/GX logo with a Z photoshopped over it? Weapons in F-Zero? Lethal Marathon in Brawl, like they were dropping hints on this? (Melee: 2001, ie. before GX even came out.)

Credibility? Zero.

Yeah, that's true. It's a screenshot from Melee that they're calling a Brawl screenshot. Grade A reporting there.

I've added Bigfoot, Zup, and Chris. Let me know if I missed someone.

Name: Yogusaki

Town: Amble

Fruit: Oranges (and maybe coconuts in the future- I just planted a tree)

FC: 1247-2313-4826

I share my town with younger family members who are young and impressionable, so please don't do anything obscene when visiting.

One last thing: I bought a sick Master Sword at Nooks. It looks really good, especially for Animal Crossing. If anyone is interested in buying it, I'm showcasing it upstairs in my house. When you interact with it, it plays the Windwaker Item Catch Fanfare.

Well, if your computer doesn't have a MIDI port, you could try to get a MIDI to USB cable. Then you can connect from the MIDI port on the drum kit to your computer via USB.

Yeah, I got one of those, but it didn't seem to work like when I use my midi keyboard. I've also tried to keep the wiimote on by connecting it via Bluetooth to my mac, but...

Guys, I need some help. For anyone who's a fan of the Animal Crossing series, especially City Folk, this one's for you.

I've managed to create black roses, but I can't make any other kinds of flower by crossbreeding.

Now, this list is just to show you what I've been going on. Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong, and/or what I need to do to make these flowers come true.

Pink Cosmos = Red Cosmos + White Cosmos

Orange Cosmos = Red Cosmos + Yellow Cosmos

Black Cosmos = Red Cosmos + Red Cosmos

Orange Pansies = Red Pansies + Yellow Pansies

Purple Pansies = Red Pansies + Red Pansies

Blue Pansies = White Pansies + White Pansies

Pink Tulips = Red Tulips + White Tulips

Purple Tulips = Red Tulips + Yellow Tulips

Black Tulips = Red Tulips + Red Tulips OR Yellow Tulips + Yellow Tulips

Pink Roses = Red Roses + White Roses

Orange Roses = Red Roses + Yellow Roses

Purple Roses = White Roses + White Roses

Black Roses = Red Roses + Red Roses

Blue Roses = Black Roses + Purple Roses

Gold Roses = water wilting/withering Black Roses with the Golden Watering Can

According to cheat code central, you just plant any of those combinations right next to each other, and wait for three days to pass (hell, I just skip ahead to the same time the next day, water, and skip some more, that's how I got the black roses.)

I'd love to come and play, but my Nintendo USB thing doesn't work anymore since my computer crashed :(

You guys went from pwning Nintendo characters to cross-breeding flowers? What the heck happened? :D

Let me butch this topic up by showing...THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crRmKsFJuTU

New Tales of...game for Wii 0_0; Which is...not ToS2?

I'm still waiting for ToS2 to arrive in the mail, but this is awesome news. So many rpgs coming our way now, I can hardly keep track of them. :D

I just beat Mushroom Men. This game is definitely worth picking up. It's fairly short, but I had fun. I clocked in almost 6 hours of game time after beating it, but there's still a lot of stuff I missed as far as collecting goes. Most games lately I have to force myself to play it, like it's a chore. This has potential to be a successful franchise, depending on where they want to go with Mushroom Men.