Nintendo Wii

Smoke

I've seen a couple of gameplay videos, y'know, just in passing, and it kind of looked like a platformer for the PS1 era with the contrast knob turned down... But I've also heard a lot of positive things about, so I've been confused a little. What's its hook?

Also, wiki says Claypool did some music for it? That gets points in my book at the very least. Is it anything worth writing home about?

Anyway, I'm trying to feel out what I should pick up post-holiday that I may have missed in the 360 barrage over the last couple of months, especially for Wii, like AC:CF and maybe this.

Yeah, I got one of those, but it didn't seem to work like when I use my midi keyboard. I've also tried to keep the wiimote on by connecting it via Bluetooth to my mac, but...

After looking closer, it seems that yeah, it just has MIDI in, so you can't hook it up to your computer for recording purposes, but you can send stuff to the drum kit. This is used for two things that I know of: sensitivity adjustment, and for hooking up other drum kits to the game via the original drum kit's MIDI in port. So I guess the only option would be to connect to your computer via bluetooth, and I guess somehow deal with it from there, but that's not an easy task I would imagine. Unless someone has already written software for processing the drum's signals.

• 1 month later...

So I ordered an import copy of Tales of Symphonia 2 a while back. Sadly it got lost in the mail and I had to re-order it.

I just recieved the second order today, and I was excited to play indeed.

So I pop in the Freeloader, which of course doesn't work now. My guess is that by using Disaster: Day of Crisis I installed a firmware update that rendered the Freeloader useless.

T__T; naturally I am pissed off about this, especially since Disaster was hardly worth ruining my import-play-capability. So I erase the entire thing, hoping the firmware would be reset (it didn't HA!).

So I guess my question is: since there is no way I can reset that shit, if I buy a new Wii (*rolls eyes*) would that come with an older firmware that still does allow me to play Freeloader games, or am I pretty much screwed at this point?

The alternative is waiting for the Euro release of Tales 2, which I suppose is better than buying a new Wii altogether. Then again I'd have to re-buy Smash Brothers as well...

So I guess my question is: since there is no way I can reset that shit, if I buy a new Wii (*rolls eyes*) would that come with an older firmware that still does allow me to play Freeloader games, or am I pretty much screwed at this point?

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GeckoOS

Try this, works for me ^^

(You'll have to install the homebrew channel first which, apparently, voids your warranty. It's not risky at all, Nintendo don't like it.)

• 1 month later...

Downloaded Lit the other day...started out fun, but into the later levels the more annoying aspects of it gets. Sadly, it's also as you progress through the game that the design takes on unique and interesting qualities. On the last level now, and I know exactly what to do, but given the control limitations and just how perfect it requires you to be it's just frustrating. It was just so close to being a good game too! :|

I really just wanna quit, but I'm so close to beating the damn thing I feel compelled to finish it now!

EDIT: Beat it, and now I'm wondering why. I know it wasn't particularly story-driven, but it's nice when a game has, you know, an ending. That wasn't at all satisfying.

I bought some Wii points tonight. It's been forever since I last checked the VC... there are so many games now, lol.

Any WiiWare games worth getting, or can anyone recommend some classics that I might have missed out on as a child?

If you don't have them already, I'd really recommend World of Goo and LostWinds. Bit Trip Beat is also pretty cool...rhythm game with a pong interface, haha.

Super Punch-Out!! is coming to VC on Monday, according to some IGN article I read a couple days ago. Apparently, Majora's Mask is coming to Japanese VC soon, so hopefully we'll get it in the not-too-distant future as well.

If you don't have them already, I'd really recommend World of Goo and LostWinds. Bit Trip Beat is also pretty cool...rhythm game with a pong interface, haha.

Super Punch-Out!! is coming to VC on Monday, according to some IGN article I read a couple days ago. Apparently, Majora's Mask is coming to Japanese VC soon, so hopefully we'll get it in the not-too-distant future as well.

I know this will sound stupid, but I would totally buy a Wii for Punch Out, Castlevania III, and Majora's Mask.

I bought Bit Trip Beat, and that game is amazing. It gets pretty hard too. I love how everything just flows together, and it's pretty funny what happens when you start messing up a lot.

That is one of my top faves on WiiWare right now, lots of fun. Showed it to my friends, they were really interested in it.

As for good games on Wii Ware, WAIT FOR CAVE STORY. I know I played the game on PC, but since I'm running Ubuntu Linux, I'm just gonna buy it, as a way of support, for the DLC, and just cause I'm too lazy to figure out how to get some of those games a going on Ubuntu. Yes, I know how to run WINE, just don't play much PC games.

I really hope Majora's Mask comes to VC soon, I haven't played that game in years. WHEN IS PLOK! COMING?! OR RAYMAN 2?! Or CHUCK ROCK?! They need them on there!! And when is the possibility of Sega CD games coming on there? Surely if they do Turbo Graphics 16 CD games, they could do Sega CD games.

And if there's any re releases I wanna see, it's Dreamcast games. As nice as it'd be on VC, not possible on the storage, but they could definitely release a few games on one Wii Disc or two, and I'd pony up the dough to play them. And have the option to play motion/standard controls in them. That is all.

Finally sat down to finish No More Heroes. Hahaha! That game was so over the top from beginning to end, it was hilarious. I can't wait for the sequel now.

EDIT: Seems like lots of potentially good games have been announced for WiiWare lately. Explodemon looks like it'll be fun, as does Night Game and Icarian. Lots of games I'm looking forward to for this platform.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so yeah I decided to rebuy Fatal Frame II & III for the ps2 since a couple of former associates had "lifted" my copies and ran off. I remembered there was going to be a fourth title for the Wii.

Turns out while it did come out in Japan, seems like NoA (Nintendo of America) decided to not release it in the US

A Tecmo spokesperson gave IGN the following statement:

"Nintendo holds the publishing rights to 'Fatal Frame Wii,' which was developed by Tecmo LTD. and Grasshopper Manufacture and released in Japan on July 31, 2008. Nintendo of America has since then decided not to publish the title in North America – consequently, the title will not be released in this territory. As the owner of the IP, Tecmo feels very unfortunate that the fans of the series in North America will not have a chance to play the game, but respects the final decision made by Nintendo of America."

Normally I wouldn't have too much of an issue if it was available for the 360/PS3 US as well, but since it's not. I can't find an appropriate rage.jpeg image to truly show my rage...

• 4 weeks later...
Here's hoping for a localization though. Looks like a lot of fun/nostalgia going on here.

I wonder if they'll throw the konami code in.

I don't see why they wouldn't have it localized for the rest of the world; or at least here in the US as we got practically all the other contra games available here.