Nintendo Wii

Smoke

This is awesome, looks like I'm getting a copy of Muramasa. A friend of mine told me that I shouldn't buy the game, and I thought it was because she thought the game was awful or something, and she wouldn't give me a reason why I shouldn't buy it. Turns out it was because she is getting it for me, and when I asked why it was because she "couldn't wait for Christmas."

I guess this is a shameless plug, but I've been reading into this guy's articles lately, and honestly, I have to agree with him on SOME of it.

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/email-why-nintendo-should-abandon-the-hardcore/

And no, he also criticizes some of Nintendo's moves both past and present as well so don't think it's blind Nintendo fanboyism. Don't go judging too far into it, you might need to read some of his other articles from the past few months as well just to see where some of the points are coming from.

I think the whole hardcore/kiddy/casual divide can just go jump off a bridge and never come back really.

I liked when people could play whatever game they wanted that was within their taste/goals for a game and not have to be so insecure about how "hardcore" or "mature" they appeared to others. Really it just makes us all look bad.

It started getting really bad around the time Wii Music was shown off. It seemed like everyone I knew began denouncing the Wii as "just a Smash Bros machine" and that Nintendo had sold out.

To someone who had been keeping an eye on the actual good titles and making informed purchases for the system it baffled me. These people hadn't bought Zack & Wiki, de Blob, No More Heroes, etc etc etc... But they complained anyway. Hell, most hadn't bought anything besides Smash Bros. Did they just want... another Smash Bros?

With fans like that, I could totally understand Nintendo not bothering to please them... But Nintendo never really "abandoned" them anyway.

With my experience with the Wii, I've really liked the Gameplay mechanics, fans of Metroid Prime Corruption's control system can now play Prime and Echoes with the same mechanics by buying the trilogy, Smash Bros. is always cool, but I play it better with a GC controller anyway. Super Mario Galaxy was actually really good, albeit extremely short, I'm looking forward to the sequel. Nintendo hasn't sold out, at least as far as the gameplay goes, they are just catering to a broader audience than both Xbox 360 and PS3 do...If you want to accuse Nintendo of selling out, take a look at the DS moreso than the Wii...

There's an online version of Meteos being designed for the PC to be played online, I'd like Nintendo to incorporate this into a Wii version if possible...Meteos is fun to play on the DS, it'd be harder and much more challenging with the Wii Remote.

It started getting really bad around the time Wii Music was shown off. It seemed like everyone I knew began denouncing the Wii as "just a Smash Bros machine" and that Nintendo had sold out.

To someone who had been keeping an eye on the actual good titles and making informed purchases for the system it baffled me. These people hadn't bought Zack & Wiki, de Blob, No More Heroes, etc etc etc... But they complained anyway. Hell, most hadn't bought anything besides Smash Bros. Did they just want... another Smash Bros?

With fans like that, I could totally understand Nintendo not bothering to please them... But Nintendo never really "abandoned" them anyway.

That's exactly where it seemed to start from E3 that had Wii Music. They couldn't stand Cammy (okay, I didn't really enjoy her, she WAS better this year though), there wasn't a new Metroid, Mario, or Zelda (even though all those titles came out in as little over a years time frame), and when they show new ones this year? "Ugh, no new franchises! BORING! Two new Mario games? Peach needs boob physics! Blah blah blah!".

In one of Maelstrom's articles, he cited how many developers, so called "journalists" and "analysts" hate the Wii. They don't get it, and they never will. They don't like competing with Nintendo because Nintendo can (and most of the time) sell more quality titles. Instead of thinking, "Huh, maybe I should make my games better" or, release them in a time frame AWAY from an official Nintendo release, or market the title BETTER, then maybe it would sell.

Most developers are more into making the games THEY want ALL THE TIME. They want to push Digital Distribution down our throats, and kill used game sales. I don't think making a game YOU want to make is a bad thing, nor do I dislike digital downloads (though I do feel that they need to make customers feel more empowered over their purchase, that doesn't make sense does it?) but what do the gamers want? The customer? You know, the people that play games?

I hate the term Hardcore anymore. It's been thrown around way too much. And the funny thing to me is this, people sneered at the Wii Remote. Called it a gimmick, it won't sell. Well surprise surprise, it did. And the beauty of it, is that it got people who wouldn't have wanted to play games to start with, or maybe even come back to it. And Nintendo didn't just show it to gamers, they showed it to the news, TIME magazine, places where that to many in the "industry" wouldn't even bother or even think to reach out to and thus losing out on a golden opportunity to expand the market and it's potential. But the "hardcore" dismisses these potential new long term gamers, they want big, "mature" titles (Now don't think I don't wanna play Mass Effect 2 :-P). Heck, I've known some that won't play anything below rated M, seriously. They want games to be classified as an art form. They want them to be like movies. Why? Because the developers want to, and they tell these hardcore gamers that that's what the hardcore REALLY want, and they believe it.

It's funny how well the Wii sold, and has nearly outsold the PS3 and 360 combined (and no, I'm not obsessive over numbers), and now, Sony and Microsoft want a part of that money. And the hardcore and the fanboys to those consoles are lapping it up. Will they succeed? Depends on the developers, who, ironically, are all on board for it, when motion control has already been around. And largely, it depends upon whether or not Microsoft and Sony market their new technologies right, because if they don't, Nintendo's sales dominance won't budge.

Sorry for the rant....:oops:

Anyway, about new games that AREN'T Mario/Metroid/Zelda coming out in the next year or so... Tales of Graces! Lots of redheads this time around (also a bluehead and purplehead and one redhead is also a Canadianhead). They say it'll be one of the longest Tales games, story-wise, at 80 hours or so of main plot.

Sadly I didn't buy the Conduit, but Grinder looks pretty neat (if all those vampires don't take forever to kill like in the trailers). I'm a sucker for a gripping plot, so I'll buy any game that has one... If I can afford it, anyway.

Also, Endless Ocean 2. I loved the first one. Wish I played it more thoroughly than I did, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped liking videogames when I returned to the Christian faith :) They (videogames) just don't "do it" for me anymore.

Are there any games for Wii right now though that have a long lifespan? Something I can't finish within 5 hours and are actually fun to play over and over again?

If not then I'll probably have no choice but to go through certain RPGS again :D

I stopped liking videogames when I returned to the Christian faith :) They (videogames) just don't "do it" for me anymore.

Are there any games for Wii right now though that have a long lifespan? Something I can't finish within 5 hours and are actually fun to play over and over again?

First of all, why does your Christian faith effect your videogame playing? Perhaps that's a topic for a different time and place...

Second, Metroid Prime Trilogy will take you a very long time to finish, and it's incredible.

First of all, why does your Christian faith effect your videogame playing? Perhaps that's a topic for a different time and place...

Second, Metroid Prime Trilogy will take you a very long time to finish, and it's incredible.

I can briefly answer that by saying I experienced priority shift and liberation of a lifestyle that leaned towards addiction. :)

Ah, the Prime Trilogy. I already own all 3 Prime games though, and 2 and 3 are my least favourite to play through again. Would you say the addition of motion control makes the original Prime worth the purchase of the bundle though?

Lol, not at all :) But games have taken up a lot of my time and health. I was more of a Halo PC man, myself :)

Eh fair enough though I have a hard time seeing how one would spend that much time on it and ruin thy health as well. I may seem like I play 24/7 based of my recommendations and experience but I think I don't play any more than something around 2 hours a day; and even then it can be sporadic.

Also try looking at the Wii VC section and check out some oldies like Super Castlevania IV...

Eh fair enough though I have a hard time seeing how one would spend that much time on it and ruin thy health as well. I may seem like I play 24/7 based of my recommendations and experience but I think I don't play any more than something around 2 hours a day; and even then it can be sporadic.

Also try looking at the Wii VC section and check out some oldies like Super Castlevania IV...

I suffer from ME/CFS, which may or may not be the result of my past lifestyle. I think that says enough :) Once you ruin your day/night rhytm you're pretty much screwed.

VC section is a good alternative yes. There are some classics that I really appreciate and certain SNES games NEVER get old :)

I somehow feel like we don't get half the library of available Wii games here in Holland either.