Nintendo Wii

Smoke

And although Elebits may not be the greatest game ever, I adore the music. Must find soundtrack...

Is it just me, or do I smell ReMix in the air? :wink:

Elebits is awesome and I found the soundtrack a while back. I'm almost done with the game. After I beat it I want to unlock eternal mode for my favorite levels. I think the ones in the town are awesome. A few later on are really fun too.

Well, I finally picked up an el cheapo GC accessory pack this morning (controller, memory card and carrying case for a bunch of discs), but I'm lacking in funds to obtain any games as of right now. Is there some way to download & burn GC ISO's and play them on my Wii?

I -think- you might be able to use the SD loader method. Because there's no mod chips for it yet, PSO is literally disabled so you can't stream it, and the freeloader doesn't work on backups. ;)

Well, I finally picked up an el cheapo GC accessory pack this morning (controller, memory card and carrying case for a bunch of discs), but I'm lacking in funds to obtain any games as of right now. Is there some way to download & burn GC ISO's and play them on my Wii?

I -think- you might be able to use the SD loader method. Because there's no mod chips for it yet, PSO is literally disabled so you can't stream it, and the freeloader doesn't work on backups. ;)

SD loader? Explain thyself further.

SD loader? Explain thyself further.

It involves the use of the Action Replay Pro, an SD card, the GC memory card that uses SD cards, and a hand-made program.

And even then, you might be SOL, because in gamecubes you often had to tweak the laser to be able to read the GC discs.

That and you had to burn them just right, on mini-DVD, and in general it was a big ol' pain in the ass.

Go hit up the AfterDawn.com forums and look in the Nintendo Gamecube or Nintendo Wii sections and ask around there. They'd know better.

Got a question.

I'm trying to get IRC to work on the Internet Channel.

I've been using CGI-IRC, but there's no send message or enter key, and no button on the Wiimote that functions as such.

Anyone able to help here? Got a CGI-IRC client that has a send message button?

Well I don't have time to check right now, but why not try using a web-based java client? I believe java is a usable script on the wii.

Got a question.

I'm trying to get IRC to work on the Internet Channel.

I've been using CGI-IRC, but there's no send message or enter key, and no button on the Wiimote that functions as such.

Anyone able to help here? Got a CGI-IRC client that has a send message button?

Well I don't have time to check right now, but why not try using a web-based java client? I believe java is a usable script on the wii.

Got a link handy?

So.. Depending on which one you want to believe..

VG Charts is saying Wii has broke 3 million.

NexGenWars is saying 2 million.

I say.. wait until Nintendo announces the end of year numbers. Or at least announces some sort of milestone.

Even with 2 million, that's since November 19th. That's a million a month. That's pretty damn good for anyone.

Now, as long as they use "units sold" and not "units shipped"...

They underplay the PS3 and 360 numbers too.

The way the 360 has been selling lately, it could be around 9 or 10 million instead of 8.

I guess the PS3 is more predictable because of the shortage though. But I hear the actual numbers are probably a bit higher there as well.

And they tend to play down the numbers for the fear of overprojecting them.

And I say this again, but I see no reason why sales really matter in the long run. It's just numbers and profits that I'll never see. Purely pointless. Of course, to certain *fanatics*, it may MATTER to them.

I say who cares about the sales. Play/buy what you like.

Bu-bu-bu-bu-but... our opinions! Someone must listen to them, regardless of if they want to or not! That's what makes us the kings of the internet! :wink:

I agree with you on that. I do play what I like. But for the sake of argument...

Sales are important. To a certain point.

Look at some of the flops of years past. If they had sold better, there would have been more game developer support for it. They want to make games, because that's how they make their money. And the games have to be made for a system that they know people have, or will buy. This gives them a better chance to make money.

Imagine if either of the last gen consoles had failed out of the gate. Would there be a Blue Dragon if the 360 flopped? Nintendo could have made a run at it with what they made themselves for the Wii, but that would only go so far. And if the PS2 had somehow failed, would any developer feel comfortable making anything at all for the PS3?

It's not the most important thing to look at when deciding what hardware to buy, but it does affect things more than just the feelings of fanboys. A strong-selling system shows developers that they can make a game for it, and there will be a good chance it will sell.

The thing with the Wii and Nintendo sales, though, is that they always have sold well and always will, at least with the profit margin Nintendo is aiming for. And as far as the big franchises are concerned, the sales will always be high.

What always gets never talked about thoroughly, if at all, are the lower profile games. Maybe understandably so since their numbers tends to be low.

Another thing is that while the Gamecube had the equivalent number of sales to the Xbox, it actually had less number of 3rd party exclusives though the number evens out if you count all the 1st party exclusives. Again, I feel that Nintendo often takes too big of a spotlight with their home consoles and it might make the 3rd party less committed compared to what would otherwise be a mainly 3rd party consoles like the Xbox's and Playstations have been. We've seen the same story for the N64 and Gamecube so far. There has been some solid 3rd party games, but not nearly the torrent of titles available for the competing consoles. The sales alone aren't a reliable indicator of the 3rd party involvement.

And Nextgenwars.com has its numbers updated and it seems to match my prediction. Wii has more than 2 million and 360 is close to 10.

PS- The Wii will do fine and I think everybody realizes that it's not on the verge of death or anything. Though they can't simply port the games over and think things will be fine and dandy like in the Gamecube days. Simply because of the huge graphical discrepancy.

Another thing is that while the Gamecube had the equivalent number of sales to the Xbox, it actually had less number of 3rd party exclusives though the number evens out if you count all the 1st party exclusives. Again, I feel that Nintendo often takes too big of a spotlight with their home consoles and it might make the 3rd party less committed compared to what would otherwise be a mainly 3rd party consoles like the Xbox's and Playstations have been. We've seen the same story for the N64 and Gamecube so far. There has been some solid 3rd party games, but not nearly the torrent of titles available for the competing consoles. The sales alone aren't a reliable indicator of the 3rd party involvement.

Agreed. In general I don't think many 3rd parties really commit to Nintendo platforms at all. Look at the giant sea of 3rd-party garbage that is GBA. I suspect some of these problems were rooted in the anti-3rd-party Nintendo of old. Lately trend is starting to change with the DS, but many games are still poor-quality sports games or Nintendogs and Brain Age clones. I suppose the PS2 has it's sea of garbage too.

Anyone else wondering how long until Nintendo consolidates their handheld and console lines into a single line of portable consoles?

I mean.. some sort of fairly high-end handheld(maybe GC quality, given the generation gap and technological advancement..), that has composite outputs to display on a TV.. but could do just as well as a portable/handheld, with wireless single-cart multiplayer through wifi/bluetooth and whatever else they can fucking cram in there.

Hmm, I don't think we'll be seeing any of that anytime soon from Nintendo. It just seems like making a system like that might be something Microsoft or Sony would be first to do. Nintendo is trying to take portables where consoles can't go, and likewise with consoles, so it would seem out of their strategy to compromise the two designs to get a fair medium. Of course, they could come up with something awesome that involves no compromising...

Hmm, I don't think we'll be seeing any of that anytime soon from Nintendo. It just seems like making a system like that might be something Microsoft or Sony would be first to do. Nintendo is trying to take portables where consoles can't go, and likewise with consoles, so it would seem out of their strategy to compromise the two designs to get a fair medium. Of course, they could come up with something awesome that involves no compromising...

Something like a stand-alone portable machine that generates holographics perhaps? :roll::P:wink:

Something like a stand-alone portable machine that generates holographics perhaps? :roll::P:wink:

I left it at ellipsis just for your sake :D