Nintendo Wii

Smoke

you know, for the past few days i've been writing for a little site called erickandemily (of which i am neither so what if it's a plug shut up shut up) and playing a ton of the Wii games since i can't find one at the time.

none of the games out right now really give me enough of a reason to buy them, is the problem. Rayman has pretty good multiplayer, but a horrific single-player mode. Elebits is the complete opposite in that the single-player has a ton of meat to it, but the multiplayer just isn't there (i really, really wanted a co-op story mode)

when i get a wii, i'm probably going to get madden, which i played and loved, or trauma center, which i haven't touched. i haven't read up a whole lot on it, how high does it stand in the line-up?

I must say that Elebits is pretty much a Nintendo's version of Katamari Damacy. Though still not quite as crazy, but still quirky.

And I think it's great to simply rent most of the games since they are entirely too short at the moment. Great money's worth for the experience. Still waiting for something more substantial personally.

I think it was worth the purchase. The game is really fun and the music is awesome. There is so much to do in the game. I just found out that there were extra items that you can find and always have on if you find them after a certain point. I just found radar always on. If you get 25 S ranks, you can get vacuum always on... That's so awesome.

I really want to get eternal mode for some of the really fun levels too.

So I keep hearing that Excitetruck really is worth a buy - should I go for it?

My bro has been playing it since launch inbetween Zelda and now Elebits, but loves it. Theres a decent amount of unlockable stuff and crazy stuff to figure out on the different courses. Hes not a big racing game guy either, except maybe Road Rash and Mario Kart. Not sure how big racing fans take to it though.

So I keep hearing that Excitetruck really is worth a buy - should I go for it?

IGN gave it the award "Best Game No One Bought". If you're the type to fly through games very quickly, you'll probably want to give Excite Truck a rental. If you're playing it concurrently with other games (I am) then buy it. It's really fun and even got my brother to play Wii. Excite Truck will probably be Wii's best racing game for a full year. Custom soundtracks ftw. <(^_^)>

Excite truck is the shit...It has the same feeling of replayability as Smash Brothers does for me. No one race is ever the same and you can always find a way to pick up more points. It's simple, but very versatile at the same time and my god is it fast.

Realism for the LOSE.

The TG-16 R-Type...how is it? I think the only R-Types I played before I was in the institution was the Grey Brick ones, and an SNES one, all of which were an absolute blast.

I ask this because my budget is tight, and will be, so I don't want to end up blowing cash on a game thinking it's one thing, and turns out to be another.

Rub it in whydoncha? I can't even get a single TGFX game because I'm in Australia and they're not released for VC down here.

I'm writing a big rant about it as we speak.

I want R-Type and Super Star Soldier DAMNIT!!

Looks like I've still got reason for emulation. GG Nintendo.

The TG-16 R-Type...how is it? I think the only R-Types I played before I was in the institution was the Grey Brick ones, and an SNES one, all of which were an absolute blast.

I ask this because my budget is tight, and will be, so I don't want to end up blowing cash on a game thinking it's one thing, and turns out to be another.

This R-Type is the first one, and a must. I've played it in Arcade, on Playstation, even on my Amstrad CPC 6128 !!!

This game is really good, the controls for the TG are nice, the music is ok, but be ready for a really HARD game.

(and don't hesitate to repeat the (A)+(-) trick for credits, you'll cry with the three credits available at the beginning!)

Eight levels, awesome bosses, hard challenge... Only thing: when you die, the foes could be less aggressive with your only and weak ship after.

How do you find your Wii friend code?

On the Wii menu, hit the message button in the lower right...

Open your address book... it's the button on the right.

And there's your Wii code... If there are already entries, you can see your friend code by hitting - and thus going to the front "cover" of the address book.

On the Wii menu, hit the message button in the lower right...

Open your address book... it's the button on the right.

And there's your Wii code... If there are already entries, you can see your friend code by hitting - and thus going to the front "cover" of the address book.

thx (damn you minimum character limit)

I wonder what'd be involved in making gamecube games work with the wii controller? I'm thinking some sort of expansion download with modifications for the existing game. Once you pop in the gamecube game, the modifications kick in, allowing you to use the wii controller (and motion sensing, etc) for games like Mario Golf and F-Zero GX.

Of course, Nintendo would much rather make and sell an all new game that's designed to make the most of the controller (and your wallet), but wouldn't an alternate control scheme be along the same lines as, say, downloading new maps for an fps?

Although I think most games that have downloadable content are designed to include these options for modification from the start, not have them forced in - several years down the road, no less.

I wonder what'd be involved in making gamecube games work with the wii controller? I'm thinking some sort of expansion download with modifications for the existing game. Once you pop in the gamecube game, the modifications kick in, allowing you to use the wii controller (and motion sensing, etc) for games like Mario Golf and F-Zero GX.

Of course, Nintendo would much rather make and sell an all new game that's designed to make the most of the controller (and your wallet), but wouldn't an alternate control scheme be along the same lines as, say, downloading new maps for an fps?

Although I think most games that have downloadable content are designed to include these options for modification from the start, not have them forced in - several years down the road, no less.

A lot of work would be involved.

In order to add this, the whole GC-mode bootup would have to be altered, and the new controls would have to be mapped to the GC controllerscheme somehow. Adding new controls or making another addition is a whole impossibility for the following reasons:

1) There's a whole lot of GC games out there, and a large amount of them is by some third party.

2) The GC games were never designed to be patchable, and adding a patch could be a bitch and a half to perform for most, if not all, of them. Patch size would also be pretty big for most of them.

It would require each developer to issue a patch to make use of the controls, plus options for configuring.. and some sort of injection system, similar to an Action Replay, to arbitrarily replace code during runtime.

And then Nintendo would have to issue a heavy firmware update that doesn't disable certain hardware elements during the reboot to GC mode.

Something I'd like to see, is an update that would let you boot straight into a game, GC or Wii, without having to go through the channels menu first.

It would require each developer to issue a patch to make use of the controls, plus options for configuring.. and some sort of injection system, similar to an Action Replay, to arbitrarily replace code during runtime.

And then Nintendo would have to issue a heavy firmware update that doesn't disable certain hardware elements during the reboot to GC mode.

Something I'd like to see, is an update that would let you boot straight into a game, GC or Wii, without having to go through the channels menu first.

]

Amen to that!

I'm thinking about getting the freeloader so I can play my NTSC Gamecube games on my PAL Wii. Does anyone know if freeloader works, or what verison of freeloader works?

1.06B doesn't work, 1.06b might work. There's supposed to be a new version out that's fully Wii-compatible though.

http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=23&i=9055&s=8

The store page on the US site doesn't mention the version, and it can't be ordered off the UK site yet. And most shops that would sell it don't have the new one in stock yet as far as I can tell.

1.06B doesn't work, 1.06b might work. There's supposed to be a new version out that's fully Wii-compatible though.

http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=23&i=9055&s=8

The store page on the US site doesn't mention the version, and it can't be ordered off the UK site yet. And most shops that would sell it don't have the new one in stock yet as far as I can tell.

Well I guess I will wait a bit then until it becomes clearer. Besides, I still have my GC.

Rub it in whydoncha? I can't even get a single TGFX game because I'm in Australia and they're not released for VC down here.

I'm writing a big rant about it as we speak.

I want R-Type and Super Star Soldier DAMNIT!!

Looks like I've still got reason for emulation. GG Nintendo.

Tell me about it, its not bad enough we missed it the first time now we have to miss it again! Its mean the way they dangle the carrot of TGFX in front of us then take it away.

Has anyone else noticed something? Even some of the most insane, hardcore Wii/Nintendo fans.. are praising at least one other, non-Nintendo system this generation. Hell, I think I've seen a certain holograph fetishist posting positively in the 360 thread. ;)

Naturally, it IS the 360 that most of the Wii owners who are considering another system, are looking at, since the 360 didn't make moves to rip off Nintendo in.. well, every area. But still, that any other company would actually be getting love from a seemingly growing portion of Nintendo's fanbase seems almost ludicrous, compared to how things have been in previous wars. o.o