Nintendo Wii

Smoke

It's kinda funny, just how amazingly high the reviews are for this game. Everything I've seen for it have shown that, honestly, it's nothing that couldn't have been done on the N64.. perhaps even as early as the SNES. Yet it's standing toe to toe with anything Sony and MS are throwing out, as their AAA quality titles.

This makes me happy.

Super Paper Mario is by far one of the greatest things I've played in a while. While it doesn't match Twilight Princess' sheer awesome factor, it more than makes up for it in a higher quantity of pure fun. I cannot stop laughing at so much of the dialogue and quirks in this game. The ratio of time I spend laughing to not is almost on par with the best episodes of The Office (UK or US).

To whoever said it's nothing that couldn't have been done on the N64 or SNES, bullshit. If it were tried, it wouldn't be half the game it is. The Wiimote is used to point at objects in order to investigate them, get hints and even find hidden things like doors, and it's a completely natural move to switch from normal sideways control to pointing and back. I find myself doing this frequently just for the hell of it, to see if I'm missing anything (much lke the feature flip maneuver itself). Then there are action moments like shaking the Wiimote to get out of being frozen, which is by far more enjoyable than, say, repeatedly pushing a button. Plus, this game looks bloody amazing in context of the artistic style. The colors are extremely vibrant and fluid and there's even some decent texture work put in to the landspaces. And yes, the music is superb (although the stuff in Chapter 1's desert is starting to grate after sitting on for five minutes straight).

Anyone who does not pick this up is missing out.

Super Paper Mario is by far one of the greatest things I've played in a while. While it doesn't match Twilight Princess' sheer awesome factor, it more than makes up for it in a higher quantity of pure fun. I cannot stop laughing at so much of the dialogue and quirks in this game. The ratio of time I spend laughing to not is almost on par with the best episodes of The Office (UK or US).

To whoever said it's nothing that couldn't have been done on the N64 or SNES, bullshit. If it were tried, it wouldn't be half the game it is. The Wiimote is used to point at objects in order to investigate them, get hints and even find hidden things like doors, and it's a completely natural move to switch from normal sideways control to pointing and back. I find myself doing this frequently just for the hell of it, to see if I'm missing anything (much lke the feature flip maneuver itself). Then there are action moments like shaking the Wiimote to get out of being frozen, which is by far more enjoyable than, say, repeatedly pushing a button. Plus, this game looks bloody amazing in context of the artistic style. The colors are extremely vibrant and fluid and there's even some decent texture work put in to the landspaces. And yes, the music is superb (although the stuff in Chapter 1's desert is starting to grate after sitting on for five minutes straight).

Can't wait to play it! Only a couple more days...

Problem is, it was originally designed to be for the Gamecube, so any pointer/motion controls in there, were in fact tacked on at a later date, meaning that everything else in the game itself, could quite easily and readily be done on the SNES. The game itself doesn't actually try to do anything particularly amazing, graphics wise.

There's nothing in the graphics, the sound, the AI, or pretty much everything else, that couldn't have been done on the SNES. But, again, this is -not- a bad thing.

http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/04112007/16/nintendo_wii_smokes_ps3_3rd_biggest_week_since_launch

So.. looks like Wii, that 6 month old fad of a system, managed to outsell even the great monster that is the PS3, during easter week, in the UK. By close to 50%.

And I really don't think Sony can blame it on lack of units, this time.

Really, it must hurt to be a realist, in Sony HQ. At least they still have their movies to make money on!

Problem is, it was originally designed to be for the Gamecube, so any pointer/motion controls in there, were in fact tacked on at a later date, meaning that everything else in the game itself, could quite easily and readily be done on the SNES. The game itself doesn't actually try to do anything particularly amazing, graphics wise.

There's nothing in the graphics, the sound, the AI, or pretty much everything else, that couldn't have been done on the SNES. But, again, this is -not- a bad thing.

Unlike Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario was not in development for a year or more before being transferred to the Wii. Consequently there are actual linear portions of the game (finding hidden doors to progress) that rely on Wiimote control, as opposed to Twilight Princess where there are no differences in the linear progression of the game from the Gamecube to the Wii. To ignore this because it's something that was a result of change "at a later date" is, frankly, ridiculous. The simple fact is the core of the game would not be the same on another system.

Also, you either have not played, heard, or even investigated this game, or you have some extremely awful delusions about the power and capabilities of the SNES. I would seriously like to see you come up with a way to pull off some of the sheerly impressive graphical tidbits in this game on a 16-bit console, or recreate the music in MIDI with outdated output channels. What a ridiculous, ignorant claim.

Maybe for '09, we'll see sequels to first-gen Wii titles, from Nintndo? A new Metroid game, outside the Prime saga, maybe Super Paper Mario World, then we have another Zelda game to look forward to..

For some reason, I actually want to see sequels of good games, on Wii. There's no real reason to only have one installment of a major franchise, if they can actually make it good.

Personally, I really want to see what Retro Studios will do once they finish the Prime trilogy. They certainly have talent, and I'd like to see what IP's they can come up with on their own.