Street Fighter II: Sagat Remix ("The Tiger of Ayutthaya")

Most Sagat remixes are downtempo, heavily jazz influenced, or otherwise arranged to be suitable for relaxation; my approach to Sagat's theme was quite the opposite. I drew most of my influence from the drop d guitar rhythm found in the Street Fighter Alpha 2 arrangement, while keeping to the structure of the SNES version from Street Fighter II: The World Warrior. The end result is what I consider to be an aggressive, yet regal take on Sagat's iconic theme. The time signature for this piece is 11/8, just like the original, and let me tell you, it made creating this remix quite a challenge, especially playing the guitar (0_0)

I chose to base my remix on the SNES version because I consider it to be the best version of the theme. The use of a droning violin on the SNES, which is absent from the CPS1 rendition, gives the composition a better texture, and in my mind, a sense of grandeur befitting of Sagat. Other useful information can be found below. I've no plans to submit this to the judges, because I have no plans to lengthen the piece, or invent new measures in 11/8. Covering the song was challenging enough for my meager abilities lol.

Oh, and just in case any of you are curious about the meaning of my remix title, Ayuthaya is the real world location of Sagat's stage from Street Fighter II. Ayutthaya was an ancient kingdom that sat where Thailand is today. In Sagat's stage, you can see the reclining Buddha of the Ayutthaya ruins, as well as a few ancient temples. At its height, the Ayutthaya Kingdom had many conflicts with the neighboring Kingdom of Burma. One famous folktale relating to their conflicts is about the warrior Nai Khanomtom, a master of Muay. Khanomtom and a few of his fellow fighters were captured by the Burmese, and challenged to a duel to prove that Burmese fighters were superior. Khanomtom chose to represent his friends, and Ayutthaya, successfully defeating every fighter the Burmese had. In the end, Khanomtom won the respect of the Burmese, and thus grew the legend of Muay Boran, and the might of Ayutthaya. So by choosing the title "The  Tiger of Ayutthaya" it is my goal to connect Sagat, and his music, to the greater folklore of Thailand, and Muay Thai. 

Song Title: "The Tiger or Ayutthaya" (Sagat Theme Remix)

Originally Composed By: Isao Abe

Arranged and Performed By: The Native Dialect

BPM: 105 Style: Rock

Hardware: iMac, iRig, Ibanez Talmon

Software: GarageBand, Audacity

The Tiger of Ayyuthaya

Source

Edited by Native Dialect