Pokemon Trading Card Game (GBC) - Normal Duel

Hey guys, it's been a minute since I did posted anything to the board. Working on this track and want to get feedback/ideas/critiques on the arrangement. This song is my current canvas for practicing some music theory stuff, but my ear isn't the best catching when harmonies and chords are 'off'. This is half the track so far; and the last 10 seconds of the song is just placeholder vomit to close what I have off.

Appreciate it everyone!

Edited by Starphoenix

I really like it! This was always the song that got stuck in my head in this game. I love the ethereal pads in the background, they give a dreamy feel to what would otherwise be a very straightforward track. The chords and harmonies sound fine to me. I also really like that you bitcrushed the bass throughout which I feel was a very prominent hook of the original song. Personally, I feel that the glitches and slips like at 1:42 and 1:44 aren't particularly necessary and detract from the overall feel of the song, but I love the lead arp that's playing alongside them. Overall, I think this song is excellent so far and I'm really looking forward to the rest of it!

Hello! I can help a little bit from the theory standpoint maybe.

I really liked the move to the bVI chord (Bb major) the second time through the verse! It's one of my favorite harmonic moves.

Was the choice to put the bass and the melody in different keys intentional? The melody is up in the key of D major, but the bassline is in the key of A (relative to the melody, it's playing the fifth, nineth, and tenth of the chord without ever playing the root). This may have just been an artistic decision, of course, but I wanted to make sure because your ears may have missed it.