OCR03996 - *YES* Bionic Commando "Infiltration"

Gario

Hey! 

Here is new PsyNES submission for OCReMix.

Contact Information

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged - Bionic Commando (NES)
  • Name of arrangement - Infiltration
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged - Area 8 Music
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) - none
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - I think this is on your site already
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.  
    Hey OCReMix people! 
    I started remixing Bionic Commando tunes when Bionic Commando Rearmed came out, it had such a good soundtrack and it inspired me to do remixes of the original as well. I didn't come up with anything good at the time tho, but around in 2011-2012 I tried again and started working on this one (Area 8). I didn't finish it at that time either, but got pretty good start for the remix. 

2-3 years later I went back to this remix again, changed the bassline to more psytrance'ish and finished the whole remix. The older version had a much different bass sound for the bassline than this finished version, it was actually inspired by Electro Swing and Glitch Hop genres. Since 2014 when I finished the remix, it's been on my PsyNES SoundCloud account for free to download. The ReMix is made with Renoise!

Now in 2019 I wanted to update the mixing and mastering again cus I've been planning to upload it to my Youtube account (https://www.youtube.com/JJTunes ) with a gameplay video. I decided I would send it to you guys as well to be judged, so I hope you enjoy this Remix, and I hope I didn't make it worse with my little update. :) By the time this is being judged, OCReMix is probably already 20 years old, so happy birthday OCReMix! 

• 2 months later...

Very intriguing opening with a nice build into the beats arriving at :21. Theme arrived at :35 with a rhythmic change along with a cool phasing effect on the notes. The mixing's somewhat trebly/sharp, but it's nothing really dinging the track, and I could easily make out all of the parts; I'd much rather have things be sharp than lossy-sounding.

The way the beats shifted from 2:15-2:31, I felt the change-up didn't flow with the rest of the writing, but it was a brief bump in the road and was at least executed more smoothly from 4:04-4:18. Great use of stereo, effects, and textural variations to help put a very personalized arrangement stamp on this. Wow, very nice work, Jari, I love it! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/05/21 - (1Y) Bionic Commando 'Infiltration'

I am literally incapable of hating on a PsyNES remix, so once again thanks for sending us some more lovely remix goodness. The arrangement is bouncy and fresh, and as always the relatively basic synths are used in such a way that they never get boring, with those stutters and shifting beats. I will echo Larry's comment on the treble-heavy mixing on this, though; throughout the track the bass is noticeably lacking. It doesn't drag the piece too much, but in moments like 2:40 the build sounds lacking due to the mid/high EQ focus of the mix.

Other than moar bass, I'm loving this. Get it up there on the front page.

YES

How do we not have a "Power Plant" remix on the site already?  This was on my short list of sources to remix myself once I had time to sit down and get remixes done... sigh....

Hugely catchy beats had me tapping my feet the whole time.  I could have stood a couple fewer loops of the main hook by about the 1-minute mark; this feels longer than its 4 1/2 minute length because it does drag a bit, but it's all enjoyable.  I feel exactly the opposite as Larry about 2:15-2:30; I'd have liked more of that to break things up a little.

Sure, the bass could have used some more presence, but I didn't feel like it was a huge omission.  This one's a keeper.

YES

22 minutes ago, MindWanderer said:

I feel exactly the opposite as Larry about 2:15-2:30; I'd have liked more of that to break things up a little.

Just noting, I didn't mind that change to create dynamic contrast in and of itself, I just though it wasn't smoothly timed, unlike the 4:04-4:18 section where it went back to the technique but with timing that didn't seem slightly out of step.

• 2 weeks later...

You know you've done well with the production when it made me get up and dance!  The focus on sibilance is an interesting stylistic choice as EDM tracks aren't usually treble-heavy, but I can hear all the parts cleanly.  The backing is merely the bass and some effects, but the synth melody layering sounded like they took the purpose of a pad or rhythm part and went full ham.  I also sensed gates, pitch shifts, subtle use of LFOs, delicate sweeps, and bit-crushing in the background - all used tastefully to create an engaging soundscape.

The arrangement is also fun - focusing heavier on subtractive writing with plenty of changeups throughout.  The A section at 0:35 got adapted to these trance chord progressions with the melody turning straight at 0:57, so I don't see the melody's use here as outstaying its welcome.  There are other sections like 1:32, 1:47 and 2:31 that also played around with the rhythm of the melody while still keeping the tone.  In combination with the smart production and well-paced framework, it adds to a potent composition throughout.  I too also noticed the sloppy placement of the E section at 2:15, when the execution was much tighter at 4:04.  It's the only dampener of the arrangement, but not so rough it would dampen my vote.

And I must also say the Game Over jingle at the end is a cute idea.  Are you telling me the stage is brutally tricky even for seasoned retro gamers? :)

I enjoyed this submission a lot - fun take on a more complicated source, and that soundscape is impressive.  The little timing hiccup and my questioning on the sibilance-heavy mixdown are way too minor for me to see it as anything but a lively, personalized arrangement.  Great going, Jari!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03996 - *YES* Bionic Commando "Infiltration"
  • Rexy locked this topic