OCR04016 - *YES* Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare 1995 "Green Rabbit Dream"

Gario

NOTE: Yes, there's a lot of Carol of the Bells in this (mostly the infamous texture), but that's an artifact of the source, not the artist. There's enough original material in the source as well to merit a shot on the panel.

- Gario

Contact Information

• ReMixer name        DJ Squid Slap      (Id prefer my real name to be used)
  • real name               Luke Jansen
  • email address        
  • website                  https://jansen7183.wixsite.com/retrogamemusic
  • userid          (I cant find it)

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged    "Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare 1995"
  • Name of arrangement            "Green Rabbit Dreams"
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged       "Candion"

Oh man, this track really is something else. While the texture takes some *ahem* obvious inspiration from Carol of the Bells in the source, it does transform it into something completely different with the themes and harmonies. This arrangement, likewise, takes the source straight at first (with embellishments & improved sounds), but then develops those themes significantly in the second half, taking the arrangement to new heights.

It's an excellent piece of Christmas arranging without quite being a Christmas tune - it reminds me of something Mannheim Steamroller would do with a Christmas song (and I mean that as endearingly as possible). Great work!

YES

• 2 months later...

Man, Gario is right about that arrangement!  Not only did it manipulate the obvious Carol of the Bells inspired parts to something more transformable but also respected the rest of the source material's structure.  Naturally, it starts safe with a straight run on the source - and even that has some sweet subtractive additions with the bells and subtle synth backing.  Following this, 2:33 allowed for some great original writing and 3:34 also allowed for some lovely last-minute manipulations into a slow-down ending.  It's a sturdy framework, it paced itself appropriately, and it made me want to overdo home security on Christmas Eve.

The production values also feel clean, I can identify the parts, and the choice of keys/synths here worked well for this modern-holiday feel.  Two things did stick out for me, but luckily neither of them are dealbreakers.  There were points where the rhythm parts blended in with the strings, which is nothing a quick look-over at the EQ wouldn't fix.  But more strikingly for me, the snare tone is not the most realistic sounding one I've heard.  The timbre still fits the synthetic soundscape, the dynamics feel human, and it's been well-balanced - so overall you worked well with the tools at your disposal.

All in all, I see both the arrangement and production over the bar.  Roll on December - it'll be appropriate to see this on the front page during the holidays.  Good stuff!

YES

Edited by Rexy

• Rexy changed the title to 2018/10/15 - (2Y) Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare 1995 'Green Rabbit Dream'

I was worried about a standards violation when I saw the disclaimer.  "Candion" uses "Carol of the Bells" heavily, and not just the iconic 4-note repeating bass, but basically the whole thing at one point or another.  (It's a great piece of music; I'm shocked that I don't remember it from when I played this game in the 90's.)  But the remix uses it less than the original, if anything; it seems to me like it's over 50% source usage even if you don't count the Carol of the Bells parts, although it might be cutting it close, considering the lengthy bridge.  Not sure it would pass a stopwatch test that way, but subjectively it seems to be in the clear.

I agree that some of the balance could be tweaked, just because the accompaniment is so complex; with 3-5 quiet parts playing at the same time, something is bound to get buried.  However, you'd hardly notice unless you're specifically listening for them.  Nothing critical is ever lost.

Otherwise, I don't have any complaints.  It's a great remix of a great remix of a great tune.  This one will be going into my personal collection for sure.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I like it.  Punchy drums, dreamy EP, and the arrangement was pretty damn good.  I love the production in this one, super clean, loud but no pumping whatsoever, nothing feels smashed here.  Only nitpick I could mention is that the bass is a bit hard to hear in some sections, the sub is there but not the character.  But really, it's a very small issue. There's really not much to say about this one other than it was a very easy pass for me.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2018/10/15 - *YES - TAG* Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare 1995 'Green Rabbit Dream'
  • Liontamer locked this topic