*NO* Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 'Walking on Water ~Trance Mix~'

Gario

Hello,

Attached is my submission and below is the info.

Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name - Moro
  • Your real name - Alex
  • Your email address
  • Your userid - 35618

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged - Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3
  • Walking on Water ~Trance Mix~
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged - Water Levels
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPs1ei4oDSE&t=1256s (Listed as "Stage Theme VII")
I always like this track when I played this game as a kid and while watching a speedrun of the game recently I rediscovered it and thought it would make for a neat remix.

Edited by prophetik music

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/10/28 - Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 'Walking on Water ~Trance Mix~'
  • 3 weeks later...

Aw, geez - I am a sucker for late 90s euro-dance!  The tropes are down pat - the choice of synths, the track structure with the build into the calm section into the full melodic drop at 3:46, and even modifying the 6/8 source to 4/4 and making them feel more melodic than the original implied.  The production also has no significant faults and sounds like it can blend in as part of an EDM setlist from 15-20 years ago.  Honestly, I'd bust this track out at a party if I get the opportunity.

However, there is a significant dealbreaker in this track, and that is the source's presence and lack thereof.  I heard it from 0:59-2:50, then the source-free breakdown and second drop meant no appearance again until 5:09-6:19.  That's less than 45% source use.  To remedy this issue, consider either cutting the length of your original content or adding more of the source / other Wario Land BGM.

Honestly, Alex, this is cool stuff.  Ultimately it turned out to be source light, and I'll be pleased if you can do something about that.  Keep at it.

NO (resubmit)

• Rexy changed the title to 2018/10/28 - (1N) Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 'Walking on Water ~Trance Mix~'

Yeah, I can see how the fundamental groove is loosely derived from the source material, but it took a life of its own and stopped being recognizable.  Otherwise this sounds pretty good.  A smidge cluttered in the louder sections but nothing dealbreaking.  With more or more identifiable VGM I think this would be fine, but as it is,

NO

• 1 month later...

just rubber-stamping this one. it's a great, fun track that i want to listen to, but it just doesn't have enough source. i actually like the length, and just feel it needs more source, rather than paring it down to bring up the percentage of wario. it's also really loud, peaking at +1.6db during the sausage section that starts at 3:45. some clipping is ok in this style but that's pretty hard to hear.

ultimately, the lack of source usage sinks a fun track.

NO