OCR03973 - *YES* Golvellius: Valley of Doom "Kelesis with a Mandolin"

Gario

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/10/31 - Golvellius: Valley of Doom 'Kelesis with a Mandolin'
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2018/10/31 - (1Y) Golvellius: Valley of Doom 'Kelesis with a Mandolin'
  • 4 weeks later...

You have quite an interesting setup here.  There are not very many instruments involved - which makes sense, arranging an 8-bit source - and they do all sound well-balanced in the virtual space.  The level of humanization is also an improvement from prior submitted works - and I can feel it the most across the harp, mandolin and even your violin patches.  It also is a quiet mix, but this is a track that is better off with a gentler dynamic pace based on the instrumentation involved.  Overall, the production does its job here, even with the questionable minimalism.

The arrangement more than checks out as well.  The three theme variants all have different levels of textures, and even the intro was doubled in length with the harp doing one run and strings pulling off another.  Some subtle subtractive changes are present too.  I sensed plenty of harp and mandolin florishes, the second variation's countermelodies, and the third section's plucked strings in the support role instead of the cellos.  There are evident changes, it's in a framework that evolves and calms down, and I can get behind it.

It's one of the oddest Rebecca creations I've heard for a while, but I see it making a name for itself on the front page.  Good work!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2018/10/31 - (2Y) Golvellius: Valley of Doom 'Kelesis with a Mandolin'

Yeah, it's a very simple instrumentation compared to most of Rebecca's mixes, but I think that only adds to its strength.  It's well-mixed, clean, and crisp, but still has a rich soundscape, which is hard to achieve with so few instruments (although I would suggest that the last section is a little bass-light).  I was a little worried when the title mentioned a specific instrument, given that Rebecca sometimes struggles with humanization with exposed instruments, but this exceeded my fears.  A great remix of a little-known soundtrack, and an excellent addition to the site.

YES

Simple but beautiful.  The original is well represented here and expanded properly.  While the original song had an adventurous vibe to it, this remix is more on the exotic/sublime side due to the instruments and adaptation.  I think it's very impressive that you managed to pull this off with a minimal set of instruments yet everything sounds pretty well detailed and humanized.

The main melody is repeated quite a bit, but most of the work of the interpretation is carried by the harmonies, background elements and structure.  My only complain is that, again, this song has a ton of unused headroom and I had to turn my volume up.  It's less noticeable in this song because there's a reduced dynamic range compared to other remixes from Rebecca but it's still an issue.  Nothing like a dealbreaker tho, just something I'd like to see addressed in the future.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03973 - *YES* Golvellius: Valley of Doom "Kelesis with a Mandolin"
  • Liontamer locked this topic