Turbografx Mini

Meteo Xavier

No one else is getting dibs on this news. I'm doing it!

https://kotaku.com/konami-announces-the-turbografx-16-mini-1835430762

I read this and now I need new underwear. And new pants. And a new computer chair. And new carpet and possibly some work done on the foundation of my house because that's how hard I shit myself reading this. ***damn, the Japanese version is even getting Dracula X. Not quite the hard-to-obtain title it used to be, but that alone is going to make import sales go up though I suspect we will have a chance to get it stateside.

Six titles have been announced so far for North America/Europe:

•     R-Type
  •     Ys Book I & II
  •     New Adventure Island
  •     Ninja Spirit
  •     Alien Crush
  •     Dungeon Explorer

The Japanese version, meanwhile, has an almost entirely different set of games:

•     Bonk’s Adventure
  •     Dracula X
  •     The Kung Fu/China Warrior
  •     Ys I & II
  •     Super Star Soldier
  •     Dungeon Explorer

Interestingly, Ys and Dracula X are CD-ROM games, meaning we could be seeing more titles not just from the Turbografx-16, but the TurboGrafx-CD as well.

Hurray and hallelujah!

Edited by Meteo Xavier

At first I thought this was a joke thread, but I suppose these mini consoles are moving enough units that it makes sense. The Japanese lineup seems preferable, although Ninja Spirit was (and is) a pretty amazing ninja/platformer style game. Bonk's Adventure was one of the most popular games on the console in the US, so perhaps its absence is due to competing copyright ownership... or they're just sitting on the announcement so they can generate some more buzz.

i think they know this works with any console that was considered cool and interesting, not just with consoles that cater to a specific nostalgia crave. i'd consider buying this because it was never released over here, and i'd hope playing this wouldn't just feel vaguely nostalgic but also fresh, it being an unknown system to me. dreamcast mini would be similarily amazing, in that same vein.

what also makes these less successful but cool consoles attractive for a mini release is that with their modest amount of game releases, you could get a really comprehensive list of titles into one box. not just a quality sampling like with the SNES classic, but something that feels like you're really getting everything that made the console great.

imagine an intellivision mini, though. that's where i'd draw the line...

23 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

I read this and now I need new underwear. And new pants. And a new computer chair. And new carpet and possibly some work done on the foundation of my house because that's how hard I shit myself reading this.

Dang, sounds like xenomorph diarrhea.

This does sound neat, especially since the Turbografx just never really got any momentum over here in the states (not sure about how it fared for the rest of the globe) despite being pretty huge in Japan. Everyone I knew growing up only either had a Sega or Nintendo console, and I only ever got to play one at a Sears store display or something.

• 1 month later...