Revenge of Shinobi - "Powers of Stealth" (90's Metal)

Hey there, everyone. (Very) Long time lurker, first time submitter. First, though I wanted to make sure the mix/master is there. It's metal, so it has to be aggressive, but I don't want to smash everything to bits and pieces, you know?

Anyway, smashed together a combo of the title screen and "Long Distance" from Revenge of Shinobi. Also made sure to arrange them in such a way that it's not a medley.

Here's the original title screen music.

Here's the original "Long Distance."

Here's the Soundcloud link.

Hope everyone's having a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

*MOD REVIEW*

Hey there, welcome to the forums. Here's your mod review of this piece.

I really like a lot of what's going on here, BUT, the piece is effectively ruined by the current kick drum sample you have going on here. It's loud and overcompressed, and makes it physically difficult to hear the excellent guitar work you have going on. The sequencing isn't humanized, so I get a metronome-like regularity to it, and the sample itself doesn't seem to be a round-robin style, so I'm getting literally the same noise several times a second in some places. The kick overshadows the rest of the piece and makes it difficult to enjoy. 

In general, I think this is a REALLY good remix. If I shut out the kick drum, I can hear the great work you're putting into the guitars, which sound natural, balanced, and well performed. The drums, particularly the kick drum, really need some work before this can go in front of judges. I might suggest collaborating with someone who is an actual drummer, which would make this mix really stand out in an amazing away. Barring that, take some time to step back and take a look at your samples and how you are sequencing the drums. The kick drum is by far the most detrimental part of the mix, but the rest of the drums could use some realism work as well; the crashes get buried, and some almost sound like bell-taps. A good drum track here will really take this to the next level.

*MOD REVIEW* 

Edited by XPRTNovice

Wow, awesome! Thank you so much for listening and confirming what I was thinking after I posted it, haha! Guitars seem a bit murky to me now, too. Needs a little bit of clean up for sure.

Strangely enough, I've been working with a drummer on other stuff recently and this has given me the confidence to see if he's up for it. Mixing live drums is WAY more fun anyway, right?

Anyway, thanks so much for your time, and off I go to see if anyone wants to "collab, bruh?" :lol:

14 hours ago, thebitterroost said:

If your drummer guy flakes out, I'd be down. This is a good jam, but is definitely in need of some drum TLC. This sounds like either a built-in keyboard drumkit patch, or maybe MT Power Kit?

Woah, awesome! I listened to your Soundcloud, and dude your stuff is great! I know my other friend wants to do it, so I'll be doing that, BUT I'd love to collaborate on anything new you want to do. I have several extended range guitars and a few different amps, not to mention a new bass that needs to be put through the paces. Let me know if you need any fretted instrument stuff, even if it is just a solo here and there.

The drums are Sonar's Session Drummer, haha! They never used to sound so bad, but I've gotten so used to mixing actual live drums over the past few years that I feel I've lost the taste/ability to get canned drums to sound right. 

Will do, same goes for any other stuff of yours in the future. As someone who put together enough of a recording rig to record drums right around the same time that EZD/SD/etc starting hitting the scene, I kinda saw the writing on the wall, and opportunities to work with others really plunged. A lot feel like live tracks aren't worth the trouble of working with, and seem to be fine with the canned sound they often wind up with. So if you're one of the few left that's into it, I'll gladly dish out some tracks. Good luck on this one, looking forward to hearing how it comes out!

• 2 months later...

I'm back! :ph34r:

So, he was busy, and then I was busy...the past few months have been too much! Anyway, here are a couple of links for what I got now with my friend playing some drums. 2 different end limiters. It's tough balancing smoothness with bite. Which one sounds better to you? Anything else need to be done on this thing?

One level of mastering.
Here's another level

Thanks for being so open and welcoming! Even if it's not what you all are looking for, it was still fun to cobble together. Hopefully, I can work with some other people here. I have new packets of strings ready to go! :D

• Facemeltingsolos changed the title to Revenge of Shinobi - "Powers of Stealth" (90's Metal)