PRC394 - Batman's Attempt to Remix A Song (The Adventures of Batman And Robin)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 394
PRCv16-9

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

In PRC392 it was TheVideoGamer who got another win. Two other songs appeared. He picked the source for PRC394.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:21 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

Hello! Back with another submission.

I'd thought i'd return to the 16-bit era with a game that contains arguable the best work from this guy. The Game is called The Adventures of Batman and Robin and the track name is Psycho Section. This plays during the second half of the Mad Hatter stage, right after a mini boss fight with a animatronic cat.

Composed by Jesper Kyd, during when he was working as a in-house composer for Zyrinx, a Danish Video Game company (This game however, was developed by Clockwork Tortoise) You may recognise Zyrinx's other Sega titles, like Sub-Terrania, or more later Scorcher, a futuristic racing game. Unfortunately the company went bust in 1998 after their publishers had signed into liquidation, leaving Jesper Kyd to move to America. This is the Jesper Kyd people are familiar with, when he got contracted for 2 series - Hitman and Assassins Creed. No disrespect to anyone out there, but i feel Jesper Kyd flags a bit when tasked in writing for Orchestra (Hence my meh reaction to Assassin's Creed and Hitman respectably), though excels brilliantly in electronica, which this game i picked is full off. (Oh and if anyone has beaten this game, without cheats, you are awesome. I'm lucky enough to even beat Stage 1......out of 4)

2 things that immediately strike me during the music for Batman and Robin. 

First off, these compositions are insanely long, I'm talking 6-10 minutes tops. The title theme is 9 minutes in it's entirety, without a single loop, before the theme is played again. It's funny, as in the game, the title theme is over within 10 seconds lol. It's amazing that he maintains a huge level of interest for something reliant of, repetition, but regardless of it's genre, there is melody, and atmosphere, which can cross over into a more rock based setting. Also because there is a lot of changes (Big or small) happening overtime, i can't really call it repetitive. I mean just because it has loops doesn't, all mean it's repetitive does it lol...

Second of all, and the most impressive, is how rich it is. 6 channels are used, without a single PCM sample, or even a preset. Fully crafted with up to 6+ instruments at 1 channel. So we could have a composition with up to 25 instrument patches. Also their is a shocking use of panning, which made it actually quite a process in making it work to MIDI. Each sound was design to have a certain level of space, and evident with Psycho Section is the transition from melodic, to rhythmic, in the second half. The experimentation is there, and honestly, has enough ideas to balance it out between rock and electronic genres. It's not this song that deserves a remix, it's the entire soundtrack, but for now, gotta go with my favourite underappreciated one.

Probably the best use of FM Synthesis I've ever seen.  

And what follows is a custom made MIDI. Do note a few things, to help you with this file:

1. Jesper Kyd is reliant on panning for this score, so a lot of it, is intentional in the MIDI. Just letting you know.

2. In the original soundtrack, Instruments are dispersed from channel to channel, with many sharing similar properties. So you might find a pad, on the midi file, also working as a stab or a bass. Not only there is a lot of channels used in the MIDI, but that's how it was in the original, so i'm trying to be as accurate as possible.

3. It features a tempo change in the beginning. Not that it matters, but i may help you become aware.

Again, i'm doing this just to let you know, so you can have a better time handling the MIDI.

Any questions about the file just ask me.

So here is the custom MIDI file:

https://www.vgmusic.com/file/46e7cc9e87e4aa2a64da8417e9af21e3.html#disqus_thread

Good luck to you all!

Source: The Adventures of Batman And Robin - Psycho Section

MIDI File

Source Information

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

To submit a song at the compo page you can use the ThaSauce page. If you use this, an account is required. If you don't want to use ThaSauce, please upload the song somewhere else and post a download link in this thread. I recommend Soundcloud, don't forget to allow downloads to enable me to upload the song at ThaSauce. I will keep using ThaSauce as the place where all songs are located.

If you want to use ThaSauce, the following steps should be done.

• Click the ThaSauce Link.
  • Click the 'You are not logged in' button in the upper right.
  • Click on 'register' (at the bottom).
  • Read the terms and click 'I agree to these terms'. If you don't agree with them, upload the song somewhere else and post a download link as mentioned above (by doing that, you allow me to upload the song at ThaSauce.
  • Continue the process by filling in your information.
  • You will get a question to confirm that you're not a robot. Here are some possible answers:
  1. Name a compo: PRC
  2. Who organizes One Hour Compo: Starla
  3. Name a ThaSauce subdomain: compo.thasauce.net
  4. Who created Mega Mans: Capcom

A confirmation mail will be send. There might be some issues with it (meaning that you don't get it), if that is the case, upload the song somewhere else as described above.

Once registered, login with your username and password, go to the mentioned page and submit the song. If you want submit two or more songs you can create multiple ThaSauce accounts or upload the song somewhere else and post the download link.

After uploading your song, please check if your song plays and can be downloaded and played without problems. Only upload MP3 files.

PRC instructions

• The deadline is Thursday July 18th 2019 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. +1 Day
  • You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.
  • Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  • Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.
  • The winner of this round may select the source for PRC396, the round after next round.
  • The winner of PRC392, TheVideoGamer, who picked this source, can only participate by submitting a Bonus Mix. His vote is doubled in the voting stage. 
  • You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC ThaSauce Home Page

Edited by Bundeslang

5 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Finally, a tune where my style can truly shine.  Muahahaha >: 3

Side note: I think I got as far as the Penguin stage for Batman & Robin.  I'm sad that I never got up to this point, b/c this tune is killer.  Holy shit. 

Game Genie is the only true way to get a fully complete immersive experience, that contains no anger, swearing or damage to property...

Worth it though, as this soundtrack is beyond underrated. Jesper Kyd definitely isnt just Assain's Creed, Hitman or Borderlands. This soundtrack showcases why electronic music is his strengths.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

18 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Yo, VideoGamer, since you love this style (like me), you should really check out Phantasy Star 4's OST.  There's a few tracks very similar to this style, like the intro scene and a boss fight.  Oh, and Streets of Rage :D

Streets of Rage? lol I guess you forgot PRC 384 (Bulldozer). Oh and Phantasy Star 4's ost is dope, but it feels more in line with Contra, in stylistic appearances (More of a rock/metal approach with occasional folk pieces. I dunno it's just how i interpret it...) To be honest, i like all Video Game music, especially those that branch out into something unexpected. You might think, from my source picks, that i just find a fast-paced techno track, but i actually like slower tunes, and for your MnP i picked an ambient/string based track (MnP 101). Still though, this type of music does rock! 

Edited by TheVideoGamer

On 7/9/2019 at 11:38 AM, TheVideoGamer said:

Streets of Rage? lol I guess you forgot PRC 384 (Bulldozer). Oh and Phantasy Star 4's ost is dope, but it feels more in line with Contra, in stylistic appearances (More of a rock/metal approach with occasional folk pieces. I dunno it's just how i interpret it...) To be honest, i like all Video Game music, especially those that branch out into something unexpected. You might think, from my source picks, that i just find a fast-paced techno track, but i actually like slower tunes, and for your MnP i picked an ambient/string based track (MnP 101). Still though, this type of music does rock! 

I appreciate good music in general - even country if it isn't the mainstream LOST MUH TRUCK and I MARRIED MUH SCEPTIC TANK (dunno where I'm going with that).  The genre is moot so long as there is room for evolution.  But it's always nice when there is a very "loose" mold (or mould?) to work with; gives me more room to add new textures and rhythmic varieties. 

52 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

I appreciate good music in general - even country if it isn't the mainstream LOST MUH TRUCK and I MARRIED MUH SCEPTIC TANK (dunno where I'm going with that).  The genre is moot so long as there is room for evolution.  But it's always nice when there is a very "loose" mold (or mould?) to work with; gives me more room to add new textures and rhythmic varieties. 

The only music i don't like it generic music. That's it. 

I'm more confident with electronic genres, more since i sort of grew up with it, but i like Rock and Jazz so i'm not ignorant.

I mainly like it when you experiment and branch out the box. Making what's everyone else has done, is lame to be honest. Not bad by any means, just...lame. 

1 hour ago, TheVideoGamer said:

The only music i don't like it generic music. That's it. 

I'm more confident with electronic genres, more since i sort of grew up with it, but i like Rock and Jazz so i'm not ignorant.

I mainly like it when you experiment and branch out the box. Making what's everyone else has done, is lame to be honest. Not bad by any means, just...lame. 

(edit)Rock and Metal are my fav's of "mainstream", and I like me some DJ Shadow.  Not as familiar with mainstream shit honestly.  At least to me, VGM is truly what keeps musac alive.  The most creative aspects of it anyhow.  BTW, I submitted an entry.  Hope you like.

(edit2)

As a caveat I'm well aware that VGM draws from more conventional (and otherwise) sources, but I mean, I may as well be saying the grass is green and the sky is made of Mountain Dew.  Mmmm Diabeetus. 

Edited by HoboKa

2 hours ago, HoboKa said:

(edit)Rock and Metal are my fav's of "mainstream", and I like me some DJ Shadow.  Not as familiar with mainstream shit honestly.  At least to me, VGM is truly what keeps musac alive.  The most creative aspects of it anyhow.  BTW, I submitted an entry.  Hope you like.

(edit2)

As a caveat I'm well aware that VGM draws from more conventional (and otherwise) sources, but I mean, I may as well be saying the grass is green and the sky is made of Mountain Dew.  Mmmm Diabeetus. 

Some have even expressed disapproval with certain soundtracks going the Hollywood route...

That what it is nowadays.....

Stuff like Batman and Robin is why I like VGM. It’s catchy but so unique to itself, nor is it imitating Hans Zimmer, which is getting old at this point....

Thanks for the entry anyways 

Edited by TheVideoGamer

3 hours ago, HoboKa said:

I'm lonely out there.  Then again...free win isn't a bad thing per se...means I get to pick another Phantasy Star tune.  :D

I might make another account and disguise myself as a new participant, just to throw a spanner in the works.

Of course i'm joking, i'm not that stupid lol. 

I'd be down with some Phantasy Star IV or II. Maybe even Phantasy Star Online..... 

17 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

I might make another account and disguise myself as a new participant, just to throw a spanner in the works.

Of course i'm joking, i'm not that stupid lol. 

I'd be down with some Phantasy Star IV or II. Maybe even Phantasy Star Online..... 

Sadly, I skipped PS Online b/c I'm sort of a heretic.  I only became aware AND started to love PS series 2 years ago or so T_T

No new submissions. So...

Hoboka, you are the winner and you may pick a source for PRC396. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your sources as fast as you can, but before next Monday (29 July 2019), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

5 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

No new submissions. So...

Hoboka, you are the winner and you may pick a source for PRC396. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your sources as fast as you can, but before next Monday (29 July 2019), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

Looks like Phantasy Star month is gonna be a thing....congrats Hoboka....

2 hours ago, HoboKa said:

You guys got any feedbacks for my entry? 

Well apart from, how unique it was, how it contained some rich juicy tones, and how nicely you took the main bulk of the piece and added some more atmospheric parts to it, almost had an industrial edge to it. Could do with bringing up the main stab riff, towards the second half. That's what the purpose of the piece was, and what showcased raw rhythmical power. Also the main melody was a bit lost, so again, could have been brought up. Still though, i can't argue it was quite a challenging source (You really did a solid original arrangement of it, so well done)

Other than that though, no i don't have any feedback about your entry....

Edited by TheVideoGamer