Facebook is Incredible

KWarp

I had a MySpace account once. I deleted it in a fit of rage and now I have a Facebook account. I miss the profile customizability of MySpace, but that's all, really. Facebook is currently the best online tool for finding and keeping in touch with old friends, hands down. I have a few gripes about the interface, though, but nothing's perfect.

facebook > myspace

but the emails from facebook are sorta annoying. can you turn those off?

All these social networking sites are meh. People spend too much of their time on them.
I do hate the people who feel the need to check facebook/myspace 37 times a day

Yes.

Also agreed. I have a sparse bare facebook page I maybe check once every 3 months, and I dont even have a myspace account.

I dont feel I need some massive social network to keep in touch with my "friends". No person has 500+ friends they keep in touch with on a regular basis. If those people really were my friends, I would hang out with them, or call them, or IM them or something. I dont need a website to do that.

And yes, people who check their facebook/myspace more than a couple times a day need help.

I hate it when people invite me to parties on facebook, but don't actually tell me about it. That's a good way to NOT have me come to your party. I check facebook maybe 4 times a year and ignore the emails most of the time.

Yes 100%. When people actually open their mouths and talk to you that's a good thing.

I had a MySpace account once. I deleted it in a fit of rage and now I have a Facebook account. I miss the profile customizability of MySpace, but that's all, really. Facebook is currently the best online tool for finding and keeping in touch with old friends, hands down. I have a few gripes about the interface, though, but nothing's perfect.
facebook > myspace

I always used a junk mail address that I never checked, but this sounds like a better plan.

facebook > myspace

I always used a junk mail address that I never checked, but this sounds like a better plan.

What I did with my GMail is:

*Made my MySpace/Facebook e-mails go to EMAIL+MySpace@Gmail.com

*Made a label called MySpace/Facebook

*Made a Filter that filters ALL email SENT TO "EMAIL+MySpace@gmail.com" gets LABELLED MySpace/Facebook and SKIPS INBOX

That way nothing shows up in my inbox, but when I have new MySpace/Facebook crap, I have alittle Label with "MySpace/Facebook (2)" in the corner.

I do the same thing with forums and topic replies.

Myspace < Facebook < Poop

Sorry, I can't get into the Facebook praise here. I use it, quite a bit, but am genuinely surprised at the express lack of functionality. I can't believe that there are no embedded urls, no text formatting whatsoever, etc. The one thing that I hate most about Facebook, though, is how difficult it is to avoid.

Myspace < Facebook < Poop

Sorry, I can't get into the Facebook praise here. I use it, quite a bit, but am genuinely surprised at the express lack of functionality. I can't believe that there are no embedded urls, no text formatting whatsoever, etc. The one thing that I hate most about Facebook, though, is how difficult it is to avoid.

The lack of bold and italics does bother me. I hate having to use capital letters for emphasis, since it's usually interpreted as yelling, which isn't usually the point I'm trying to get across.

but sense most of them talk liek this i guess it doesnt matter lol

I don't really mind the lack of formatting TOO much because I've seen how badly it can be abused on MySpace.

I think Facebook does a lot of things right, though:

-The Ads

-The Feeds that you can choose to IGNORE certain people on -or- NOT send out certain information YOURSELF. Which leads into...

-Shares+ are like what MySpace "bulletins" should be. Plus then you could COMPLETELY ignore the people who're posting random SHIT, and actually see what people who AREN'T fucktards are trying to share.

etc etc

Factor in the customizable Firefox toolbar and the Google Search, and Facebook is the only site of it's kind you'll ever need :o.

I don't really mind the lack of formatting TOO much because I've seen how badly it can be abused on MySpace.

-The Ads

-The Feeds that you can choose to IGNORE certain people on -or- NOT send out certain information YOURSELF. Which leads into...

-Shares+ are like what MySpace "bulletins" should be. Plus then you could COMPLETELY ignore the people who're posting random SHIT, and actually see what people who AREN'T fucktards are trying to share.

etc etc

Factor in the customizable Firefox toolbar and the Google Search, and Facebook is the only site of it's kind you'll ever need :o.

Myspace bulletins are a freakin joke. Your homepage shows the 5 most recent bulletins and more often than not, all 5 are stupidass surveys by the same girl. If it's not a survey, then it's usually something lame about how much they miss/love their boyfriend. I don't have a facebook account. Maybe I should look into that.

Unless I'm mistaken Facebook was intended solely for college kids to hang out and keep track of each other in - until recently anyway when they opened it to everyone. I guess that was a couple of months ago.

Myspace is below facebook because it lets people have crappy embedded videos, animated text, auto-playing music, and in general about everything annoying you can possibly have. Honestly I wouldn't care too much if people didn't overdo it.

-The Ads

etc etc

Myspace bulletins are a freakin joke. Your homepage shows the 5 most recent bulletins and more often than not, all 5 are stupidass surveys by the same girl. If it's not a survey, then it's usually something lame about how much they miss/love their boyfriend. I don't have a facebook account. Maybe I should look into that.

The concept is nice, a "Share this with all your friends" thing, but the execution is HORRID. And you forgot the new spambot bulletins from people with hacked accounts saying "HEY CHECK OUT THESE CHEAP NEW WATCHES".

...people who suck at the internet make me cry.

But yea, if people weren't so retarded with their MySpace's, MySpace wouldn't be so bad, but since they ARE Facebook is <3

As-is, MySpace is more customizable, but nobody who uses it understands basic crap about website design. Even without customization, MySpace pages don't look so hot.

Facebook is far sleeker, and the associations you can make with people just make it that much better. (EDIT: By that, I mean how you can say you met people this way and keep a nifty timeline of friendships.)

Unless I'm mistaken Facebook was intended solely for college kids to hang out and keep track of each other in - until recently anyway when they opened it to everyone. I guess that was a couple of months ago.

Myspace is below facebook because it lets people have crappy embedded videos, animated text, auto-playing music, and in general about everything annoying you can possibly have. Honestly I wouldn't care too much if people didn't overdo it.

sort of...true, myspace is sorta below facebook, because you have some folks' pages who literally drop the "F" bomb like it's so cool!! saying F--- this, F--- that, F--- you!! but if you were to view my page, none of that will show up!!

www.myspace.com/kid_thunder

Notice...people been saying that they like what I'm doing with my page and everything and they like the song on here!! So check it out!!

Facebook is awesome, but, it really did start off with just a small handful of ivy league colleges (back when it was THEfacebook.com). It seemed like it'd get lame when they opened it up publicly, but then again people whined just the same when they opened it up to state schools so it's not that big a deal.

Plus, open-facebook makes it that much easier to stalk people from your high school / hometown. And stalking is a huge part of my life.*

* don't judge me until you've tried it

sort of...true, myspace is sorta below facebook, because you have some folks' pages who literally drop the "F" bomb like it's so cool!! saying F--- this, F--- that, F--- you!! but if you were to view my page, none of that will show up!!

Notice...people been saying that they like what I'm doing with my page and everything and they like the song on here!! So check it out!!

Your page is an abomination.

MySpace can be done right, and it can be done very wrong, but every once and awhile it is done AMAZINGLY. :(

My MySpace used to be like that, but everyone would bitch because "it never changed." AKA they couldn't see what comments other people left me AS IF it was any of their business anyway.

Regardless...I'm working on a new, cleaner, profile now.

Your page is an abomination.

well, i don't see how it is so...since i don't think there would be nothing wrong with it...heck, i don't even have any "F" words on there...so what could possibly be wrong with it?