Facebook is Incredible

KWarp

I love the new Facebook because I no longer have to see the 5 miles of screenspace of applications that some people have on their wall. I just never go to the applications tab and I'm happy.

this

and

I love the new Facebook because it automatically imports all my information from Last.FM, GoogleReader, YouTube, AND MORE, makes it way easier for me to share links and crud, and makes it SO much easier to sort through all the crap that and get to what I want.

this

Um, I *do* want people seeing my phone number and address, just not people I'm not friends with.

The fact that you're suggesting that everybody else delete their contact info just so *you* don't have to spend 30 seconds registering frankly boggles my mind.

A social website that selectively displays info only to registered users does not filter ANYTHING. If someone were a stalker or otherwise wanted to see the info without being part of the network, they can just, as you said, take 30 seconds to register. It's security theater.

If you only want to give info to friends .. only give it to them. Don't give it to a website with security theater and trust it to protect your privacy, because all that policy did was stomp on convenience. The philosophy is completely wrong. Either open the doors or have *real* security (which is just about mutually exclusive with being a social networking website).

A social website that selectively displays info only to registered users does not filter ANYTHING. If someone were a stalker or otherwise wanted to see the info without being part of the network, they can just, as you said, take 30 seconds to register. It's security theater.

You have to have an email address from the place you're trying to register for in order to add it as a network - i.e. you have to use your college email account to activate your account as a student of that college, so that theory isn't quite accurate.

Pretty sure you can add a region as a network with no trouble, though, but there is an option for every piece of private information about "friends only," "friends and people in my network," et cetera.

If you only want to give info to friends .. only give it to them. Don't give it to a website with security theater and trust it to protect your privacy, because all that policy did was stomp on convenience. The philosophy is completely wrong. Either open the doors or have *real* security (which is just about mutually exclusive with being a social networking website).

Okay, it just occurred to me that you've never used Facebook, so here's a question: how do you even know? What are you basing these assumptions on?

On Facebook, someone has manually add you as a friend in order for you to see their private information. Otherwise, the most you can access is their name and profile picture (which can be set to Lelouch characters as previously mentioned). It's a neat system really, simple and effective. It's not stalker-PROOF, of course, but neither is real life, and your "either open the doors or have real security" dichotomy is just as absurd in that context as it is in the online world. It'd be like saying people need to either live completely off the grid, or else live in glass houses with no windows or doors.

I'm not really sure how well I trust Facebook to be "private" even when you set the settings to only allow those you have as friends see it. I say this because despite having my privacy settings fairly hardcore, when I had my cell number up I kept getting spam text messages on it. They stopped as soon as I took the number down.

So just about every time I try to set up stuff with my friends we get to spend time confirming we all have the same phone numbers as last time since all of us don't have that info readily available on our profiles.

Overall though I feel relatively secure with facebook, but that may also be because there's no reason anyone would ever want to stalk someone like me. :P

On Facebook, someone has manually add you as a friend in order for you to see their private information. Otherwise, the most you can access is their name and profile picture (which can be set to Lelouch characters as previously mentioned). It's a neat system really, simple and effective.

Depends on your settings. By default, actually, anyone in any of your networks can access just as much of your profile as your friends.

live in glass houses with no windows or doors.

How... how would you ever get in or out??

I don't know why some people get spam calls when they post their phone number on Facebook, I've had my cell number on since I've had a cell phone. I set it so only my friends could see it and I only friend people I actually know.

I just started using the new interface, and it's not as horrible as I thought it would be. Given time to get used to it, I may even prefer it over the old Facebook. Good thing too, the new Facebook will be the only Facebook pretty soon.

I don't know why some people get spam calls when they post their phone number on Facebook, I've had my cell number on since I've had a cell phone. I set it so only my friends could see it and I only friend people I actually know.

I don't know why either, considering I know all my friends, and my settings are set to friends only. I don't really think it has anything to do with friends or facebook settings.

Okay, it just occurred to me that you've never used Facebook, so here's a question: how do you even know? What are you basing these assumptions on?

On Facebook, someone has manually add you as a friend in order for you to see their private information. Otherwise, the most you can access is their name and profile picture (which can be set to Lelouch characters as previously mentioned). It's a neat system really, simple and effective. It's not stalker-PROOF, of course, but neither is real life, and your "either open the doors or have real security" dichotomy is just as absurd in that context as it is in the online world. It'd be like saying people need to either live completely off the grid, or else live in glass houses with no windows or doors.

Please stop making ridiculous hyperboles about my argument.

What's wrong here is that people expected privacy where there was little when they posted sensitive info on a service like this and only restricted viewing to registered users. Limiting it to the person's friends is a better solution - Not much worse than manually telling friends the info.

My argument in a nutshell: Why couldn't an unregistered user see the same information as a registered but not friended user? Because you had to prove you're in college? Not difficult to get around. There was no real security benefit.

Wow. A facebook thread and an argument broke out? Who woulda guessed?

I hate to say it, but I'm a big fan of stalkerbook. This is partly because most of my college friends are on there and partly because in spite of the stalkerish features on there, the server doesn't get bogged down with weirdos tolling for pics of underage women. However, I still haven't seen a facebook feature that competes with Myspace Music very well. Maybe they're just trying to stay focused on social networking, but with all the apps, I kinda doubt that.

Personally, I think it was a lot nicer before they started doing apps and letting highschoolers on, but it still beats the snot out of myspace... I have a lot of friends that I would not be in contact with otherwise, and the chat feature (although buggy) helps me talk to a lot of people that I probably wouldn't talk to in person or on AIM for whatever reason.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=142700279

^ There's my page. If you add me, send a message with your OCR screenname so I don't reject you.

If you don't want people seeing your phone number and address you DON'T PUT IT ON THE INTERNET.

Too late. I already sold a bunch of crap on eBay :(

Anyways, I'm still getting used to the new Facebook layout. It looks a bit more slick, and no longer have to scroll for 21 minutes to get to people's walls, but can't help that it's too wide.

Please stop making ridiculous hyperboles about my argument.

What's wrong here is that people expected privacy where there was little when they posted sensitive info on a service like this and only restricted viewing to registered users. Limiting it to the person's friends is a better solution - Not much worse than manually telling friends the info.

My argument in a nutshell: Why couldn't an unregistered user see the same information as a registered but not friended user? Because you had to prove you're in college? Not difficult to get around. There was no real security benefit.

Well, the thing isn't that you have to prove you're in college, but that you generally have to show you're in the same network as someone else to view most of their info (unless they change their privacy settings). The idea behind this is you're not likely to know someone you don't share at least one network with (school, business or region) and so it, by default, offers some protection against entirely random people trolling for victims of whatever (stalking, identity theft).

Now, if you were to have your way, sure, they would have an option to make things accessible to "everyone" (currently the furthest you can extend information is to all of your networks, aside from basic information such as name, networks, friends, and profile picture which can be made available to anyone), and allow unregistered users to access that. But then again, this networks concept is the most basic thing that separates Facebook from Myspace, security-wise, so that's unlikely.

I kinda like the new facebook now that I'm used to it. It basically means I don't have to look at peoples' stupid quizzes if I don't want to. Tabs and editing from your profile are nice features too.

And I've never understood the problem with posting your info online. If someone wanted to stalk me without using the internet, all they'd have to do is follow someone home or find out my name and look me up in a phonebook. If you're a hot chick or something, yeah that means more people are going to be fapping to you, but for average joe, what's the big deal?

I kinda like the new facebook now that I'm used to it. It basically means I don't have to look at peoples' stupid quizzes if I don't want to. Tabs and editing from your profile are nice features too.

I guess the fact that the staff @ Facebook are updating it often after they have read all those feedbacks...New Facebook doesn't look too bad after all. :-o

• 1 month later...