Metroid Prime 2 - sanctuary fortress remix

ncocs

First time here in a loooong time! I had this summer free before heading into my last semester of uni, and for some reason really wanted to dive into music stuff in my spare time. Using Logic now instead of FL!

SOUNDCLOUD LINK

v2

v3

It's totally un-mixed and un-mastered. I guess right now I'm mostly asking for arrangement/compositional things before I head in and mix it. also, if any of the synths could use work, let me know that, too!

Thanks!

Edited by ncocs

Hmm... KEEP WORKING ON THIS ONE! The vast scope of your arrangement's deviation from the original is inspiring and enthralling. Dub-step elements, pure electronica aspects, and that classic high synth... sure, it's rough and unfinished, but it's the start of something cool. I will admit that the source gets largely buried at a number of points, but I can still tell what it's based off of. Make the transitions more cohesive, maybe add some more continuation of instruments to make it feel unified as a piece, I think you could make this something really neat. Good work, and looking forward to it's advancements!

14 hours ago, Souperion said:

Hmm... KEEP WORKING ON THIS ONE! The vast scope of your arrangement's deviation from the original is inspiring and enthralling. Dub-step elements, pure electronica aspects, and that classic high synth... sure, it's rough and unfinished, but it's the start of something cool. I will admit that the source gets largely buried at a number of points, but I can still tell what it's based off of. Make the transitions more cohesive, maybe add some more continuation of instruments to make it feel unified as a piece, I think you could make this something really neat. Good work, and looking forward to it's advancements!

I'm super attached to this one and really want it to succeed! I'm determined to get it to OCR's standards eventually.

Here's v2! Drop has been changed to feature more of the source melody, added extra chops and sounds, changed the drums a bit. I think that's enough to warrant a new upload lmao

Let me know what you think!

(note: i gotta sidechain a lot of shit lmao)

Edited by ncocs

• 2 weeks later...

A nice touch up job already! Excellent. I especially enjoyed the addition of the melody at the 1:50 and 3:40 marks, it complemented what you already had there nicely. The bassy synths at 2:35 were a good addition as well. The source is stronger, and the piece is coming along well. Cheers!

10 hours ago, Souperion said:

A nice touch up job already! Excellent. I especially enjoyed the addition of the melody at the 1:50 and 3:40 marks, it complemented what you already had there nicely. The bassy synths at 2:35 were a good addition as well. The source is stronger, and the piece is coming along well. Cheers!

thanks! i'm still not happy w/ the composition yet but it's getting there!

anyways, new version: v3

• 4 weeks later...

Sanctuary Fortress is my favorite tune from the Prime trilogy. I think you have a fantastic general idea of what you want this arrangement to be. The source tune has a lot to offer and you're fleshing out a lot of it well. There are two constructive criticisms I can give off the top of my head:

1. The single note piano line sound that you're using is far too dead. I'm hearing the hammers on the piano strings more than the actual notes. You can add a high pass filter on that and a little reverb, and I think it will blend it much better with your song.

2. The wacky sine wave freakout section (the one that's basically like, the signature of the original song) you have is cut and pasted throughout several sections of the song, and after the 3rd time it shows up, it's a little predictable and a bit flat. Maybe you can write a second version of this and go back and forth between the two versions, or add some filter sweeps/panning/octave jumps/whatever to liven up that section. I actually made my own  version of this song, and I listened to the original at 0.25x speed on YouTube probably 20 times to parse out all those notes. You certainly don't need to go that far, but there's actually a lot of crazy stuff going on that you can parse through.

Unfortunately I don't know much about EDM production to offer focused advice on that front. But from V1 to V3, you've made leaps and bounds with the instrumentation, flow and dynamism. So, yeah, keep it going!

On 8/24/2019 at 2:59 PM, Mr. Hu said:

Sanctuary Fortress is my favorite tune from the Prime trilogy. I think you have a fantastic general idea of what you want this arrangement to be. The source tune has a lot to offer and you're fleshing out a lot of it well. There are two constructive criticisms I can give off the top of my head:

1. The single note piano line sound that you're using is far too dead. I'm hearing the hammers on the piano strings more than the actual notes. You can add a high pass filter on that and a little reverb, and I think it will blend it much better with your song.

2. The wacky sine wave freakout section (the one that's basically like, the signature of the original song) you have is cut and pasted throughout several sections of the song, and after the 3rd time it shows up, it's a little predictable and a bit flat. Maybe you can write a second version of this and go back and forth between the two versions, or add some filter sweeps/panning/octave jumps/whatever to liven up that section. I actually made my own  version of this song, and I listened to the original at 0.25x speed on YouTube probably 20 times to parse out all those notes. You certainly don't need to go that far, but there's actually a lot of crazy stuff going on that you can parse through.

Unfortunately I don't know much about EDM production to offer focused advice on that front. But from V1 to V3, you've made leaps and bounds with the instrumentation, flow and dynamism. So, yeah, keep it going!

1.  That piano sample probably is a hard sell for sure.  Is it an ambient sample?  It MIGHT work if the rest of the tune had a cut-off filter to kind of "muffle" vibe to accompany the lonely ambient piano notes, otherwise, the sample should be brighter and less hammery as Mr Hu said.

2. Wow that's too complicated for me.  Do what Mr. Hu says if you want lmao.  OFC, the lazier route is to change the sample with another awesome preset, or maybe copy/paste the track and edit some knobs to get something new out of it?

Great transitions, at least to me.  The drive is more or less there with a lot of evolution.  I like the breakdowns.  Oof yeah, that chop at 2:35 or so is also not good.  Are you using ASIO4All, that helps with CPU overloads.  Unless you're MAC.  Then...no idea.

Edited by HoboKa

• 4 weeks later...

This is really interesting! Very glad to hear a remix of Sanctuary Fortress. There are not enough MP2 remixes. V4 sounds much better than V3. It still sounds a bit compressed (?) or something. I'm not sure what the term is, but it sounds a little closed in. I really love the arrangement. Are you going to submit this for OCReMix consideration?

Great job!

18 hours ago, Light_of_Aether said:

This is really interesting! Very glad to hear a remix of Sanctuary Fortress. There are not enough MP2 remixes. V4 sounds much better than V3. It still sounds a bit compressed (?) or something. I'm not sure what the term is, but it sounds a little closed in. I really love the arrangement. Are you going to submit this for OCReMix consideration?

Great job!

Assuming I feel confident enough in it, yeah, I plan to!

I'm also super inexperienced w/ mixing so compression and whatnot and dealing with stereo spread is gonna be a loooong process for me. I'll get there though!

• 2 weeks later...

That bass is humongous. For headroom reasons, you should probably ease up on the lows a little, just don't overdo it.

There's a really loud couple of notes around 2:13. Watch out for stuff like that.

I like how there's this noisy thing being side-chain-bounced at some parts. And I like that riser at 1:40. And the drum break at 3:35. A lot of little things to like, besides the overall sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Made changes based on Rozo's feedback. Hosting on LANDR now since they don't compress things the same way Soundcloud does. Let me know if the link doesn't work as expected and I'll re-upload to soundcloud.

https://www.landr.com/collaborator/register?code=e8ca761d-eeea-4500-afa8-0f0b73ba53a6

EDIT: just realized landr sharing requires viewers to have an account, so I’ll reupload to soundcloud today

EDIT2: Soundcloud: 

Edited by ncocs