E-Mail: 

Submission Information
Game: Super Mario RPG
Name of Arrangement: Fantastic Forest Frolic
Name of Original Song: Beware of the Forest Mushrooms

Featuring Earth Kid on harp and Sean Leffler on violin

Edited by MindWanderer

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like the highs from the strings got cut out, I presume for effect, but I wasn't sure about it working well that way.

There's an overall flatness to the performance due to the accordion and I think the percussion as well. The bassline writing was good, though indistinct; IMO the part-writing muddied together, and this needs another pass to clean up the soundscape.

This was also dynamically flat because you're either cut-and-pasting sections, e.g. :27 vs. 1:11 (only with added strings), or the percussion and bassline part-writing is always using the same patterns with the same intensity.

The ending at 2:04 was a wet blanket, as if the track gave up; didn't seem like there was much thought with this resolution.

Good potential here, Reuben, as the arrangement approach was creative and interpretive, but this still needs more variation and dynamic contrast, as well as a mixing clean-up.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/07/15 - (1N) Super Mario RPG "Fantastic Forest Frolic"
  • 4 weeks later...

This arrangement feels kinda messy.  Like the structure doesn't get the listener anywhere, it just feels too consistent throughout.  The drums are just kinda there doing their thing and don't communicate well with the rest of the parts.  Some sections feel like too much is going on and that the instruments are just doing their own thing (~1:20).  Not sure about the accordion cutting out so suddenly at 1:35.  

I think this needs some changes arrangement-wise, to bring everything together cohesively, it doesn't sound literally random but it does lack direction.  The production also could use a second pass to separate everything better frequency-wise.  The performances were alright, it just needs more refinement.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2019/07/15 - (2N) Super Mario RPG "Fantastic Forest Frolic"

Oof.  There are some really good ideas here, and the accordion-playing is on point, but it's true that the drummer doesn't seem to have the same thing in mind as the rest of the performers.  And yeah, it sounds like you ran out of ideas halfway through.  It loops through the melody twice, and then there's no real ending.

Production-wise, the violin... is it just me, or is it out of tune?  It definitely sounds excessively filtered, and the volume of it is inconsistent.  And the harp is both far too quiet and again overly-filtered; I didn't hear it at all on the first listen, and even on subsequent listens I didn't realize it was a harp until I noticed that Earth Kid was credited.

There's a good foundation here, but it does indeed need more ideas represented, as well as some production work, especially to make that violin and harp shine.

NO

Edited by MindWanderer