PRC396 - Star of the Bosses (Phantasy Star 2)

Bundeslang

http://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/PRC

I'm definitely gonna get Schwartzed to death because I went around Bundeslang's helmet Sorry!.  This time only.  2 days, 4 hours.  (edit) Voting process should be 3 days following the submission deadline, assuming I did it right.

Edited by HoboKa

7 hours ago, HoboKa said:

http://compo.thasauce.net/compos/view/PRC

I'm definitely gonna get Schwartzed to death because I went around Bundeslang's helmet Sorry!.  This time only.  2 days, 4 hours.  (edit) Voting process should be 3 days following the submission deadline, assuming I did it right.

Awesome thank you!

Don’t worry about Bundeslang, he’ll thank you for it.

HoboKa, Don't worry, I cannot kill you by typing so I'm just gonna thank you for fixing it, was busy over the last days so I wasn't able to check it before. Voting deadline is changed (one day shorter) because I don't have time on thursday.

Remix deathline is tomorrow.

Edited by Bundeslang

19 minutes ago, Bundeslang said:

HoboKa, Don't worry, I cannot kill you by typing so I'm just gonna thank you for fixing it, was busy over the last days so I wasn't able to check it before. Voting deadline is changed (one day shorter) because I don't have time on thursday.

That's good.  Wait - what!?  No problem.

24 minutes ago, Bundeslang said:

There you go, i'd figure it'd be all good. :) 

Welcome to the voting stage 

The mixing stage is over. This round has 2 songs and bonus song by HoboKa. The following people compete against each other:

TheVideoGamer

Dex

To vote, do the following:

·       Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries.

·       Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

·       Fill in the entries from first to second in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 2.

·       State a reasoning for it.

·       Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, so it doesn't affect the results.

·       Do not vote for HoboKa, his song is a bonus.

·       Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results. Especially since some people might vote by sending me a PM.

You have until THIS Wednesday, September 4th 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (17:00 UTC, 18:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

(reasoning)

I will post the feedback given in the PM’s and the votes in this thread. The winner may choose the source tune for PRC398.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote or click here to send a PM.

Results time

HoboKa partipated with a bonus mix.

TheVideoGamer got 9 points, only enough for the last place wooden spoon.

Dex is the winner with 12 points!!.

Dex, you are the winner and may pick a source for PRC398. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your sources as fast as you can, but before next Monday (16 September 2019), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/prc396 for the votes and comments.

1 hour ago, Bundeslang said:

Results time

HoboKa partipated with a bonus mix.

TheVideoGamer got 9 points, only enough for the last place wooden spoon.

Dex is the winner with 12 points!!.

Dex, you are the winner and may pick a source for PRC398. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your sources as fast as you can, but before next Monday (16 September 2019), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/prc396 for the votes and comments.

Heh can't win them all. Dex hasn't won in a while, makes sense for him to win. 

Congrats Dex!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I haven’t had time to select a source for the next round yet. It’s hard to find a good one to do for this competition. I wanted to select something from Secret of Mana. Could I get an extension on selecting the source, and could anyone help me find one from Secret of Mana that hasn’t been done yet? 

4 hours ago, Dextastic said:

Sorry, I haven’t had time to select a source for the next round yet. It’s hard to find a good one to do for this competition. I wanted to select something from Secret of Mana. Could I get an extension on selecting the source, and could anyone help me find one from Secret of Mana that hasn’t been done yet? 

No problem. I want it before the next round ends, so you have 10 days.

19 hours ago, Dextastic said:

Wait so a group effort? That would be interesting ;)

On 9/16/2019 at 6:36 AM, Dextastic said:

I'm thinking of The Oracle. What do you think about that? It's not been remixed so, and you did say you needed help. 

Thanks for the suggestion, TVG. I don't think I'll choose that one but at least it got me off my butt. It's actually not too bad to look at a game soundtrack here on OCR and see which tracks already have remixes after all. For reference, the tracks in Secret of Mana that would be eligible for PRC right now are:

a conclusion
calm before the storm
ceremony
file select
did you see the ocean
eternal recurrence
i closed my eyes
in the dead of night
it happened late one evening
meridian dance
monarch on the shore
morning is here
mystic invasion
now flightless wings
prophecy
secret of the arid sands
steel and snare
the curse
the little sprite
the oracle
the wind never ceases

Maybe I'll choose one of them ;) 

8 hours ago, Dextastic said:

Thanks for the suggestion, TVG. I don't think I'll choose that one but at least it got me off my butt. It's actually not too bad to look at a game soundtrack here on OCR and see which tracks already have remixes after all. For reference, the tracks in Secret of Mana that would be eligible for PRC right now are:

a conclusion
calm before the storm
ceremony
file select
did you see the ocean
eternal recurrence
i closed my eyes
in the dead of night
meridian dance
monarch on the shore
morning is here
mystic invasion
now flightless wings
prophecy
secret of the arid sands
steel and snare
the curse
the little sprite
the oracle
the wind never ceases

No worries, I’ve not seen a group source pick before, so it’s interesting. All we need to do, is find the most enjoyable, and most workable to remix. 

At least I can be of help. Maybe i might listen to see which ones I like later, not that it will be the source choice, it’s all up to you.

Thanks anyways. 

15 hours ago, Dextastic said:

a conclusion
calm before the storm
ceremony
file select
did you see the ocean
eternal recurrence
i closed my eyes
in the dead of night
meridian dance
monarch on the shore
morning is here
mystic invasion
now flightless wings
prophecy
secret of the arid sands
steel and snare
the curse
the little sprite
the oracle
the wind never ceases

Ok so here is my take on this. I'm speaking this from my view, yours might be different. I don't want to influence your choice, i just want to help a man, with Source Block (Writer's Block but in the context of PRC. What? It's a thing, i'm trying my best lol). Anyways. 

File Select does not appear on the soundtrack, so that's ruled out.

These are the ones that are too short to be useful:

1. Mystic Invasion (Still a good tune though)
  2. The Little Sprite (I find this a little silly, not that it's bad)
  3. I Closed my Eyes (It's 30 seconds tops, with only really 10 seconds of material, before it's looped. Same can be said for most of the ones on this category)
  4. It Happened Late One Evening (This reminds me of a child's cartoon. No bass either)

I Closed My Eyes is only 30 seconds, and this of course, is with looping. Most of what I've heard on the ones I've mentioned so far (The short ones), is a little on the repetitive side, so it's going to be hard to remix. 

My personal favourites on the list, that i like, and probably recommend:

1. The Oracle (A kickass rave like tune, something for the nightclub) 
  2. Meridian Dance (It has a lot of nicely balanced tonal and rhythmical elements, that sort of suit your style)
  3. Did you See the Ocean (I really love the melody here....like really really)
  4. A Conclusion (Despite it being one sound, the melody and chords are really great)

These aren't too short, and they have a lot of interesting ideas, plus they're easy to remix. A Conclusion is a little on the short side, but i really like this one so...

These ones, are lengthy enough, but have nothing useful to give, musically and sonically (In this case, only serves for atmosphere):

1. Ceremony (I find this one too silly)
  2. The Curse (I feel it's more Sound Effects, than Music, like a short looped soundscape)

And the ones, that sound good, but might be hard to remix:

1. Monarch on the Shore (A lot of triplet usage here, not sure about that)
  2. Morning is Here (A bit too repetitive, which might make it a challenge)
  3. Steel and Snare (The kick, sounds crazy here)
  4. In the Dead of the Night (A bit on the short side, and relies on constrained melodic ideas)
  5. Prophecy (This one is wacky with the time signatures)

These ones are also good, but i find them a bit on the boring side:

1. Secret of the Arid Sands (I find this a bit too...er...minimal. Needs more)
  2. Calm Before the Storm (I find it a little short and repetitive)

These tracks, are really good, but they don't differentiate from each other, in terms of style and genre:

1. Fear of the Heavens (Strings and Bass. Pretty much. Chords are great though)
  2. Now Flightless Wings (This one is especially good, another favourite, but it's lacking instrumentation in the second half)
  3. The Wind Never Ceases (Again sounds good, but i think it's another short one)
  4. Eternal Recurrence (Very similar to the others, in terms of style and genre, of course different, in melody)

This is what i take on it. You might think differently. Let me know, what your thoughts are, this might be a bit too much for you lol.

1 minute ago, Dextastic said:

Wow. I’ve only managed to listen to half of the tracks so far, but when I listen to the rest I’ll definitely be comparing notes.

No worries, I’m just here to help. Don’t think I’m doing the work for you, just giving a bit of... I guess advice...I’m mainly trying to narrow it down, to a select few, to make it easier in the selection process.