Sony PSP

The Damned

How much experience do you guys have with the psp slims? ..or is it pretty much the same as the phats? I just got a slim last week and am looking to get some emulation going on mine, although from what I've read on various forums is that to get ANYTHING started on the slim, I need to do the pandora battery, which apparently requires a psp phat... or at least a psp phat battery..? Any help would be appreciated, even just a link to somewhere else entirely for that matter. :razz:

you need a psp fat and to make a pandoras battery with it

i have never made a pandoras battery but it sounds like a bit of work, especially since you need a whole other psp to do it

thats pretty much why id never buy a slim

you can reduce lag much better on a fat with custom firmware installed because you can always have the processor running at 333MHz instead of running at sonys default settings

I just bought the slim yesterday, first PSP i've owned. The people at EB...sorry GameStop said the slim one has a faster cache, so less lag. And i didnt need to do anything to get FFT to start playing.

There's also an option somewhere in the settings that allows you to reduce disc spinning by caching more data, so if you want longer battery life, turn that on.

I just bought the slim yesterday, first PSP i've owned. The people at EB...sorry GameStop said the slim one has a faster cache, so less lag. And i didnt need to do anything to get FFT to start playing.

lmao. Gamestop workers really know nothing. Having a bigger cache just means it reads from the disk less often. Has nothing to do with lag, as lag comes from poor programming or not enough system resources. I have a PSP phat and a Crisis Core slim, nothing fixes the lag in FFT, I've tried everything.

you need a psp fat and to make a pandoras battery with it

i have never made a pandoras battery but it sounds like a bit of work, especially since you need a whole other psp to do it

thats pretty much why id never buy a slim

you can reduce lag much better on a fat with custom firmware installed because you can always have the processor running at 333MHz instead of running at sonys default settings

Yeah, that's what I had read previously before getting one myself, but in the end after looking for phats around town and online for good prices, I just settled on a slim anyway. At any rate, I think I should be able to find someone I know well enough to let me tamper with their system :twisted:....only after copious amounts of research before hand though..(of course)

Yeah, that's what I had read previously before getting one myself, but in the end after looking for phats around town and online for good prices, I just settled on a slim anyway. At any rate, I think I should be able to find someone I know well enough to let me tamper with their system :twisted:....only after copious amounts of research before hand though..(of course)

i could pm you every last bit of info you need

if you want

you need to have 3.60 firmware btw

lmao. Gamestop workers really know nothing. Having a bigger cache just means it reads from the disk less often. Has nothing to do with lag, as lag comes from poor programming or not enough system resources. I have a PSP phat and a Crisis Core slim, nothing fixes the lag in FFT, I've tried everything.

The only load time issue I've seen in FFT so far was when a spell or attack was used for the first time in a battle. The game would go to the UMD to load the sprite data, but if the UMD wasn't spinning already, the time to start it spinning and access the right data would make the game pause a bit. Unless they made a design decision not to pre-load all spells and effects when entering a battle (i.e. figure out all that each player and each monster can do and load all the resources), then there's probably not much they can do. I suspect it works the way it does because pre-loading everything would result in much longer load times, particularly when most of the effects might not be used.

i could pm you every last bit of info you need

if you want

you need to have 3.60 firmware btw

Um... If you're gonna be PMin'g people anywho, perhaps you can send me a copy of that info? Also, where might I get 3.60? I can only find 3.71 via sony and I don't wanna screw my PSP over.

Oh and I have a fatty (got it right after release!)

Um... If you're gonna be PMin'g people anywho, perhaps you can send me a copy of that info? Also, where might I get 3.60? I can only find 3.71 via sony and I don't wanna screw my PSP over.

Oh and I have a fatty (got it right after release!)

i hope you have 3.50 or lower...

Wasn't there a new, relatively secret update of the hardware for the PSP? I think there is a loading screen and brightness comparison floating around. If it's true that the games load faster thanks to the new PSP, I'll have to start saving for it.

ive seen comparison videos and its pretty much the same

games load really fast when you load them as isos off the memory stick and set the processor speed to 333MHz though

i have a fat one and its FAST

i hope you have 3.50 or lower...

Well damn. I'm at .52 now. Any way I can bring it back down, or will I just have to wait for some industrious modder to come up with a way around it? I imagine if I wait on enough something new will come up anyway so I'm not stressing over it, but it's still a bother

Well damn. I'm at .52 now. Any way I can bring it back down, or will I just have to wait for some industrious modder to come up with a way around it? I imagine if I wait on enough something new will come up anyway so I'm not stressing over it, but it's still a bother

im pretty sure youre screwed at least for now

• 4 months later...

i have patapon

it is interesting and comical but ive only played it for about 20 minutes

its only $20 though so just buy it i say

if you liked loco roco youd like it

i am also in the process of acquiring wipeout pulse and its supposed to be good but i hate pretty much everything so lets see how i like it

and i dont care if its not the best thing to say here but seriously if you have a psp and you dont have custom firmware installed on it youre an idiot

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm gonna man up and by a PSP either today or tomorrow. Mostly because I want Crisis Core, but the idea of firmware cracking and being able to use emulators for others system greatly appeals to my senses.

Right now I'm looking at Crisis Core, Disgaea(never got to play the PS2 version), Ace Combat, Daxter(gonna come with the bundle), Star Ocean 1 and 2(they'd better come stateside), that new Kingdom Hearts game, maybe Tekken, Dissidia, Patapon(it has addicted me), and probably FFT.

What are the chances of me being able to crack this bitch? I'm assuming that this set is coming with the latest firmware, so I dunno.