Sony PSP

The Damned

Yes it is, except the battery doesn't last long because it's constantly accessing off the stick.

except no

because there are no moving parts involved in reading off of the stick, whereas reading off the UMD involves spinning the motor and powering the laser and all that fun stuff in addition to actually reading the data

reading off the stick saves a great amount of power, and not only that, reads it cosiderably faster

Why do you think people want to go to solid-state hard drives?

Yes it is, except the battery doesn't last long because it's constantly accessing off the stick.

Like Gollgagh said, battery life is conserved even more by only having to read off the memory stick. You could do an experiment yourself to see but your charges to waste. Also, custom firmware and being able to underclock your PSP depending on what tasks you're doing helps too. Chrono Cross ran pretty nice for me at 75 mhz, and I easily got a good 10 hours on my battery running my videos and PSX Eboots at no higher than 100 mhz in XMB.

Like Gollgagh said, battery life is conserved even more by only having to read off the memory stick. You could do an experiment yourself to see but your charges to waste. Also, custom firmware and being able to underclock your PSP depending on what tasks you're doing helps too. Chrono Cross ran pretty nice for me at 75 mhz, and I easily got a good 10 hours on my battery running my videos and PSX Eboots at no higher than 100 mhz in XMB.

Thanks for correcting me, perhaps my psp battery is just dying. i can only play crisis core for about 3 hours. That sounds low to me, especially on lowest brightness settings.

I got God of War CoO and Patapon recently. Patapon isn't as awesome as i hoped it would be, but then again I only played it an hour. Why isn't Echochrome out here yet? The imports all in English, even the voice overs. my initial impressions are "YOU EVIL DEMON GAME WHY DO YOU TORMENT MY BRAIN?"

Yeah I think I'm going for Wild Arms XF next since I need my strategy RPG fix, but man, gamestop really sucks for PSP stuff. Amazon has most of the stuff I'm looking for. And for cheap, too.

I also wanna grab those A/V output cables. Anyone try it yet?

I use them on my 32" LCD. Games look good and playing on a big screen is nice, but be warned that because the PSP only can output in 240p, you're going to get a letter boxed picture for game playback (photos and videos can go all the way to 1080 if I'm not mistaken).

Thanks for correcting me, perhaps my psp battery is just dying. i can only play crisis core for about 3 hours. That sounds low to me, especially on lowest brightness settings.

Yeah, that's extremely low. I bought my first PSP used and the battery easily ran for 7 hours with the sound halfway up and brightness at its lowest. I got better performance when I simply underclocked the PSP every time I do certain tasks like watching videos.

By the way, where do you guys go buy official PSP batteries if you ever need a replacement? I've been stumped for some time where I could find a spare to buy.

Damn, with all the cool stuff coming out for both the DS AND the PSP, handheld gaming is where it's at, gentlemen.

DS is a given, but I'm surprised at all the original ideas coming out for the PSP. Then there's the incredible ports of Hot Shots too, from what little I played of it in the demo booth.

Yeah, that's extremely low. I bought my first PSP used and the battery easily ran for 7 hours with the sound halfway up and brightness at its lowest. I got better performance when I simply underclocked the PSP every time I do certain tasks like watching videos.

By the way, where do you guys go buy official PSP batteries if you ever need a replacement? I've been stumped for some time where I could find a spare to buy.

I could be wrong, but I think I've seen them for sale at Bestbuy before. If they have them then most anywhere should.

What kind of games are you into?

If you're into RPGs and Strategy RPGs, there are a bunch so far.

Jeanne d'Arc

Legend of Heroes III

Star Ocean 1 and 2(so far only in Japan, but damnit they're coming! >.>)

Crisis Core

Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness

Wild Arms XF

Tales of The World: Radiant mythology

Final Fantasy Tactics

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Other cool games would be stuff like

Daxter

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters

God of War(looks really, REALLY good)

Patapon

Megaman Powered Up and Megaman Maverick Hunter X

Lumines

Tekken Dark Resurrection

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles

Don't forget stuff like Secret Agent Clank, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep that are coming out later on.

If you guys are looking for a cool, adventure/beat-'em-up, check out Dead Head Fred. It's a really funny M-rated comedy about a guy who loses his head.

While there are still very few good adventure gameson the PSP, this is probably one that stands out in my mind. The game can be hard, sometimes unforgivably hard, but the checkpoint system is very forgiving. Plus, the power-up system that you get with the various heads that you can obtain, along with the ability to upgrade them, makes it fun.

My only gripes are the lack hints on missions and the lackluster final boss and ending. Besides, it's voiced by John C. McGinley.

• 2 weeks later...

So I grabbed Final Fantasy Tactics about a week ago, probably gonna grab either Dracula X Chronicles, Lumines or Wild ARMs XF by the end of this week.

Final Fantasy Tactics is BOSS. Of course, we already knew this, but now it's HANDHELD BOSS. Plus there are a few nifty things added such as being able to unlock Balthier as a party member as well as new classes(Onion Knight and one more I think).

For starters, the script has been totally rewritten. Don't get me wrong, it's still the same game, but the story is THAT much more enjoyable with this new "ye old" English feel. Much better than the original piss poor localization the first time around. Also, new cutscenes are pretty cool too, nice look and voice acted.

Several problems though with the port is that some of the sound effects thus far that I've heard are really off. Instead of wind blowing, you hear some kind of beep or something. Also, the frame rate goes rather slow when using special abilities of any kind. Nothing too bad to detract from the game though.

Overall: Very happy.

Also, I'm reading around that Sony is going to be introducing Skype to the PSP and possibly 3G connectivity(rumored from what I've read thus far) in the next few firmware updates.

Confirmations?