Metroid: Zero Mission Orchestral Suite

soundyg

Ah, this is nice. As an amateur who is experimenting with orchestral software, this is inspiring. And as a Metroid fanatic, my bias is triggered. Anyways. Each of the sources is well represented in the suite, and are faithful to their standard atmospheres/moods: A lovely, delicate introduction; that riveting 1:00 mark with high vibrato low strings to replicate that ominous intro of old; a percussion heavy Kraid's lair that might as well have "abandon all hope ye who enter here" on the wall; and an energetic march for Brinstar that leads it to nice close. The whole thing runs pretty smoothly and cohesively. I was a bit thrown off by Kraid's lair, though, with the drums dominating the first dozen seconds or so. But at the same time, it's kind of catchy. There's plenty of variation throughout the sources in the piece, so it's not at risk of getting stale.

Excellent work!

On 9/20/2019 at 12:47 AM, Souperion said:

Ah, this is nice. As an amateur who is experimenting with orchestral software, this is inspiring. And as a Metroid fanatic, my bias is triggered. Anyways. Each of the sources is well represented in the suite, and are faithful to their standard atmospheres/moods: A lovely, delicate introduction; that riveting 1:00 mark with high vibrato low strings to replicate that ominous intro of old; a percussion heavy Kraid's lair that might as well have "abandon all hope ye who enter here" on the wall; and an energetic march for Brinstar that leads it to nice close. The whole thing runs pretty smoothly and cohesively. I was a bit thrown off by Kraid's lair, though, with the drums dominating the first dozen seconds or so. But at the same time, it's kind of catchy. There's plenty of variation throughout the sources in the piece, so it's not at risk of getting stale.

Excellent work!

Thanks very much! Regarding the part where you were thrown off (drums at the start of Kraid's Lair), do you reckon something like this would be better handled by having the woodwinds playing the rhythm come in stronger first, before the drums? When I spend a while working on a piece like this, I tend to become 'deaf' to issues like this sometimes, so feel free to expand on what you reckon the problem is, it really helps!

Thanks for listening and commenting!

Edited by soundyg

On 9/21/2019 at 7:59 PM, Souperion said:

Happy to help! I would suggest either making the drums start out a little more quiet to let the woodwinds be more audible before 2:36ish, where the choir joins in, or bolstering the woodwinds to match the percussion a bit better. See what solution sounds best to you!

The transition is a little jarring, I agree. Souperion's suggestions are great.

Great job on this!