Original SEGA Genesis Music

Seth Skoda

I thought I would share this original piece with the OCR community and not just leave it entirely to Newgrounds.

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/884549

I have more, but screw it, here's my audio page:

https://skoda.newgrounds.com/audio

Yes, it redirects to a different user name. As a supporter of Newgrounds, I have the privilege of being able to change my user name once a month, and I can choose to have my old name redirect to my current one.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Yeah this gives an underwater hell vibe.  Reminds me of a lot of Sega games.  The samples are legit and this is lit.  gr8 m8 I rate 8/8

Thanks, man!

Ngl I rip drum samples from games to make sure they're authentic.

I have a couple of choice VST plugins for the instruments, and then certain effects to enhance the feel (low pass filter is one of them).

But I could do better if I had AlyJamesLab's FMDrive. It has "the ladder effect."

4 hours ago, Seth Skoda said:

Thanks, man!

Ngl I rip drum samples from games to make sure they're authentic.

I have a couple of choice VST plugins for the instruments, and then certain effects to enhance the feel (low pass filter is one of them).

But I could do better if I had AlyJamesLab's FMDrive. It has "the ladder effect."

That almost inspires me to do that too.  Could be an idea for a new album lol.  Anyways...the hard work shows.  The Ladder Effect, you say?  No obvious reference to obvious movies.  I promise.  Kinda interested to know though.

Edited by HoboKa

13 hours ago, HoboKa said:

That almost inspires me to do that too.  Could be an idea for a new album lol.  Anyways...the hard work shows.  The Ladder Effect, you say?  No obvious reference to obvious movies.  I promise.  Kinda interested to know though.

Go for it, I say.

The ladder effect is something that happens on the SEGA Genesis/Megadrive sound chip when the voltage of the sound wave approaches zero. It gives off some rather interesting timbres.

The Wikipedia article about this is quite informative and explains it well. They even have a clip of the Streets of Rage intro on the page to demonstrate.