Sonic 4 Episode II - Sylvania Castle Zone Remix (Sonic Generations Style)

Hey all! First time poster here so I hope I do this right! When Sonic Generations came out years ago one of my favorite aspects of the game was that all of the Sonic stages within it received both "classic" and "modern" remixes. I thought it would be fun to take Sylvania Castle Zone from Sonic 4 Episode II and try to remix it in the style of the classic stages from Sonic Generations. Here's the original song for reference:

And here's my version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nq3Wgf4Aljvsaw185UMdf0KvXfyC4LYU/view?usp=sharing

I think it sounds okay so far but I thought it would be helpful to get some other people's opinions on it. I also feel like there's something...missing. I can't put my finger on it but it feels like it needs something to give it more energy like the Generations remixes had. I appreciate any and all feedback!

EDIT: For some reason I think the google drive link is broken. Here's a SoundCloud link if the other one isn't working:

Edited by Randomocity Remixes

I like your choice of instruments, it's cohesive with the original but interestingly different. It isn't as bright as the original either,  making it a little more relaxing to listen to. It does sound a little soft though, that may be part of the sensation of missing something. What kind of DAW do you use? Try raising the velocity of notes or just increasing the channel volume a bit. That may make it a little fuller, and a little reverb might not hurt. All in all, this is pretty nice and chill. Good work!

• 3 months later...
On 10/24/2019 at 7:05 PM, Souperion said:

I like your choice of instruments, it's cohesive with the original but interestingly different. It isn't as bright as the original either,  making it a little more relaxing to listen to. It does sound a little soft though, that may be part of the sensation of missing something. What kind of DAW do you use? Try raising the velocity of notes or just increasing the channel volume a bit. That may make it a little fuller, and a little reverb might not hurt. All in all, this is pretty nice and chill. Good work!

Holy cow, I know this is incredibly late but thank you for the feedback! Life got kinda hectic and I never responded when you originally posted your message.

I use FL Studio and audio balance is an issue I face a lot honestly. I see what you mean about the track sounding kind of soft so I'll try raising the channel volume like you said; quick question though, when you say to raise the channel volume do you mean for an individual instruments in particular or for the entire track as a whole? I'll try adding some reverb too!

Again, thank you for the feedback!

A fellow fruity composer! Huzzah. I'm no expert on balance either, but I've learned a little. I'd suggest working with individual instrument channel volume before you tweak the master volume. Start with your leads, since those usually are the showcase. For more flexibility, try using the variable channel volume: open the piano roll on the instrument's pattern, then find the "control" button on the lower left side. Click it, and it'll bring down a little menu. Hit "Channel Volume" under "Channel Control", and then you can make an automation that changes the channel volume as it plays the pattern. I'll include a couple pictures, in case my instructions are as confusing to you as they were to me.

So yeah. Take a look at your instruments in their plugins, fiddle with them if volume alone isn't enough. Balancing takes a long time, so don't lose too much sleep over it right now. Keep making new songs and experimenting with things like volume, reverb, and EQ, it comes with experience. 

Channel 2 (2).png

Channel 3 (2).png

Edited by Souperion

20 hours ago, Souperion said:

A fellow fruity composer! Huzzah. I'm no expert on balance either, but I've learned a little. I'd suggest working with individual instrument channel volume before you tweak the master volume. Start with your leads, since those usually are the showcase. For more flexibility, try using the variable channel volume: open the piano roll on the instrument's pattern, then find the "control" button on the lower left side. Click it, and it'll bring down a little menu. Hit "Channel Volume" under "Channel Control", and then you can make an automation that changes the channel volume as it plays the pattern. I'll include a couple pictures, in case my instructions are as confusing to you as they were to me.

So yeah. Take a look at your instruments in their plugins, fiddle with them if volume alone isn't enough. Balancing takes a long time, so don't lose too much sleep over it right now. Keep making new songs and experimenting with things like volume, reverb, and EQ, it comes with experience. 

Channel 2 (2).png

Channel 3 (2).png

Holy cow, thank you for the tips! I've been working with FL for a while now and I never knew the Channel Volume modification was a thing. I've started doing work with orchestral samples so that's going to be an absolute godsend when it comes to strings!

I'll try to work on the balancing in this song (and my others). You gave some really good tips so I'll be sure to keep them in mind when working on my tracks.

Also, it's always nice to find another Fruity Loops Producer! :grin:

This is nice! I'm with Souperion on the balancing of channels. Your lead is definitely a bit too soft. The bass line drowns it just a tad. 
On your double kicks, try lowering the volume on the off hit. When both notes of the double kick are the same velocity, it tends to over power the beat.
You have a cool track, fits the Sonic style very well.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:49 PM, brink-of-time said:

This is nice! I'm with Souperion on the balancing of channels. Your lead is definitely a bit too soft. The bass line drowns it just a tad. 
On your double kicks, try lowering the volume on the off hit. When both notes of the double kick are the same velocity, it tends to over power the beat.
You have a cool track, fits the Sonic style very well.

I'm glad you like the track! I'll try lowering the kick volume on the off hit and fiddle with the balancing too. Thanks for the feedback!