Your real name: Sandro Kreher
Your userid: 33651
Name of game(s) arranged                 Donkey Kong Country   
Name of arrangement                        Underwater Level
Name of individual song(s) arranged   Aquatic Ambiance

If posted, this will need a new name.

Edited by MindWanderer

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I have no problems with the production.  All instruments are balanced and mixed in cleanly, the sound palette choice is appropriate for this ambient DnB direction, and the selection of envelopes here have made your synths feel more engaging.  

But I honestly wished I could say the same for the arrangement.  The source is present, so that's a non-issue - but aside from the genre adaptation and placement of sections to accommodate for structure, there are no further modifications.  In fact, from 1:36-4:35, the source is just covered outright.  Instead of putting in a second loop at 3:19, I'd like to hear a section that develops the BGM - in other words, a chance to play around with it.

Another thing I'd like to hear more development is your percussion.  Upon entry at 0:44, I felt the groove initially sounded neat with the added effects in the background and occasional acoustic kit breakdown.  However, you've continuously repeated this 8-bar loop, and it outstayed its welcome too quickly.  It is possible to make more noticeable adjustments as the track goes on.  You could change the pattern of the hi-hats/effects, alter the notation for the acoustic drum fill, substitute the closed hi-hat for a ride cymbal - the possibilities are endless.

I'm sorry, Sandro, but repetition and an underdeveloped arrangement are dealbreakers, and I can't accept the track in its current state.  It's a shame because the production chops are tight - and I do hope you're able to do another pass and bring the arrangement over the bar as well.

NO (resubmit)

• Rexy changed the title to 2018/12/31 - (1N) Donkey Kong Country "Aquatic Ambiance (Synesthesics Remix)"

i really like the big whooshy pads and arp at the beginning, and the drums at 0:45 set a really nice mood here. i noticed that the drums repeat early, but i figured you're setting a groove that you'll work with later...

...and then, like, nothing changed for three minutes. as rexy said, you essentially are covering the source. there's some fun synth work on the melody, and there's some great tooling with the transitions from section to section, but it's a cover - and a repetitious one, because the drums are the same the whole time! it's particularly troublesome to hear this when there's such a great soundscape developed that just isn't getting used. you did a great job making a track that sounds great and has a lot of body to the soundscape.

from a suggestion standpoint, there's a lot of straightforward ways to add arrangement in a functional way. varying the chord structure is a common and easy one, but even adding your own characterization to the melody (so it's not the exact same rhythm and notes as the original) would help a ton. original sections, a solo section, some exploratory work into the melodic progression...anything to give it something new, to put your stamp on it.

ultimately, the lack of true arrangement means that there's just not enough here to call front page material.

NO

Edited by prophetik music

Very beautiful, warm synth work here.  The dnb beat is really cool, tho I wished it evolved a bit more throughout the track.  I don't really have any gripes with the production that would hold it back from posting, but the issue here is arrangement, which is really too close to the original.  I don't think there were any substantial additions or transformations to be found here, so what I would like to hear is this beautiful and mesmerizing production used in an arrangement that has more of your own ideas into it.  As it stands this is too close to a cover for posting.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* Donkey Kong Country "Aquatic Ambiance (Synesthesics Remix)"

Just want to add my two cents here: You've built up a gorgeous soundscape with a lot of fun textures to it.  As a cover, it's quite impressive, so don't get discouraged--you've done the hard part, and done it well.  I'm very glad I got a chance to hear it.  It just isn't what we look for in terms of transformation and progression.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Donkey Kong Country "Aquatic Ambiance (Synesthesics Mix)"