OCR04120 - *YES* Assassin's Creed Odyssey "Poseidon at the Cinema"

Sir_NutS

Hello OCR,

This is Stephen Malcolm-Howell. aka Malcos. I'm one of the old school people lol.

I haven't submitted in a while, but I'm back with an arrangement of one of the shanties from Assassins' Creed Odyssey, Poseidon God of the Sea:
And my remix 'Poseidon at the Cinema':

I hope I didn't disturb the neighbours too much with the singing! I recorded myself several times, layered and panned the vocals. Hope that this makes the cut, thanks for listening.

I'm so happy to hear from Malcos again, one of my favorite artists here for sure, I'm a big fan of his original albums as well.  This is a departure from what I know from Malcos, as this leans more into the movie soundtrack type of track.  Even though Malcom did all the voices himself, they're stacked pretty convincingly.  The original is also a capella, and Malcom expertly wove the cinematic orchestral elements and electric guitars into it and it just feels fitting.  Articulations and performances are pretty good, and the production is clean and powerful.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2019/01/13 - (1Y) Assasin's Creed Odyssey "Poseidon at the Cinema"
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm seconding Sir Nuts here.  I knew that Stephen had a great voice utilized in more of his original work than remixes, but I never thought he'd take it to a cinematic level like this!  

The source's brevity didn't stop him from expanding on the structure, separating the B section voices at 0:33 and reprising the A section at 1:12.  It does make the arrangement brief as well; however, there's plenty of time to let the vocals preserve the BGM's presence, and the added cinematic instruments carry a complementary subtractive backing.

Even the production sounds tight - the vocals are well layered, enthusiastically performed, and felt cleanly processed to the point that I hear an all-male Malcos choir.  The backing instruments are also well mixed, with the orchestrated elements having careful attention to articulation.  I do have a nitpick regarding the acoustic drums - it's a great tone, but I feel the compression settings are a touch too tight.  It doesn't sink the entire track, so consider it a minor observation.

As it is, it's a fun exploration of a minimal source, with clean production values as well as an enthusiastic vocal performance.  With how everything tied together, I'm happy to see this old-school legend back in the spotlight.

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/01/13 - (2Y) Assasin's Creed Odyssey "Poseidon at the Cinema"
  • 3 weeks later...

this is short and sweet, and does a great job giving an a capella source body and weight. the other judges have said mostly what i feel, but i particularly appreciated the care taken to vary up the performance in each part, as well as from an arrangement perspective varying up the voices and what they're doing. that kept it from getting boring or repetitive.

this has a real ES Posthumus feel to it at 0:49 and again at 2:01, which is a good thing (for me at least!). if i have to nitpick anything, it's that the nonstandard chords used in the pads (at, for example 0:33) don't contribute to a forward motion but instead kind of bog it down a bit. those sections do provide contrast to the more upbeat sections however.

this is an easy vote.

YES

• 1 month later...

Nice arrangement, excellent idea to back the original with a (simple) epic orchestra and layer the vocals.  The vocals do sound a bit robotic--either Stephen has a very unique voice or the autotuner is working overtime.  Otherwise I think this is pretty great, and unlike anything we have already on the site (a real challenge, 4000 remixes in!).

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/01/13 - *YES - TAG* Assassin's Creed Odyssey "Poseidon at the Cinema"