PRC399 - The First And Second Shooting Stage (Mega Turrican)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 399
PRCv16-14

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

In PRC397 it was TheVideoGamer who got the win since his bonus was the only song. The source is selected:

On 9/29/2019 at 4:19 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

It's a shame about Truxton, i'd thought it get some attention. Not to worry, i suppose the bright side, is that i get to pick another tune. In this case, Mega Turrican, a game with a seriously underrated soundtrack (No wonder Chris Hulsbeck is often hailed as the top ten Amiga composers).

The game, like i said is Mega Turrican, and the track name is Stage 1-2. As you can tell, there is no composition titles, it goes by stage number. I think during a re-release, there might have been titles. All i know, is that it officially goes by stage number. So in this case, Stage 1 - Act 2.

Composed by Chris Hulsbeck in 1993, it's one of the best uses of synthesis in the Sega Genesis lifespan, alongside loads of games. This game often goes ignored, which is sad, because there is some amazing gems here. Most of the soundtrack, is 80's rock. Think Van Halen, but with more guitars, than synths (I'm pretty much comparing it to their hit Jump, which is a bit of a whack comparison,  but it's more or less that style. 80's synthpop/rock kind of thing). Other tracks use a lot more ambience, and soundscapes for the darker moments in the game, but it's mostly a rock thing. Point being, it's a great soundtrack, and this one is one of my favourites from the game.

And my own custom made MIDI, as always. 

https://www.vgmusic.com/file/8db9b1cbbca8d4dfba1e36fcf3755b1d.html#disqus_thread

Good luck to you all! Let's hope someone has interest in this one. 

Source: Mega Turrican - Stage 1-2 (GEN)

MIDI File

Source Information

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

The deadline is Friday November 8th 2019 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread.

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC401, the rounds after next round. That round will have two sources. PRC400 is a Sonic special round.

The winner of PRC397, TheVideoGamer, who picked this source, can only participate by submitting a Bonus Mix. His vote is doubled in the voting stage. 

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC ThaSauce Home Page

Edited by Bundeslang

1 hour ago, TheVideoGamer said:

I read inbetween the lines. After 2 paragraphs of mumbling, i found my answer. I believe "gotta go fast" is the motto. Sonic special right? 

Gotta snort blow fast!!  Sonic 2020.  Or maybe 2006?   The latter makes more sense.

I'm afraid, I don't get it Captain...

10 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

If you carefully read between or after the lines I write you can know already what it will be. Sonic

Edited by HoboKa

The deadline is over, Hoboka wins by default. TheVideoGamer thanks for submitting a bonus.

Hoboka please send the source which will be used for PRC401. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your sources as fast as you can, but before Monday 4 November 2019), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

The PRC400 Sonic special starts this weekend. Voting is open till monday to leave comments (they can also be posted here).

Edited by Bundeslang

6 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Unless it's by default, or a Howlowe'en round :)

edit

Hope you enjoyed what I made anyhow.  The first half, I used a megadrive guitar patch and put a flanger effect on it. 

Yeah i really liked both interpretations. The first is a straight up classic Genesis/Megadrive conversion. Not really ideal for this source, because your essentially remixing an FM tune into FM lol. Second half was better, drums were really great, and i liked the addition of a more airy vibe. Also the lead synth/guitar felt stronger here too (Which overally is pretty dope). Still both sections were really good. Good job!

I think we both had the same idea of an FM bass though haha. 

Edited by TheVideoGamer

4 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

Yeah i really liked both interpretations. The first is a straight up classic Genesis/Megadrive conversion. Not really ideal for this source, because your essentially remixing an FM tune into FM lol. Second half was better, drums were really great, and i liked the addition of a more airy vibe. Also the lead synth/guitar felt stronger here too (Which overally is pretty dope). Still both sections were really good. Good job!

I think we both had the same idea of an FM bass though haha. 

Come to think of it, your adaptation is like a 32 bit remake.  And that's not a bad thing.  Though I wish the 2nd half took some new direction.  Unless I'm missing something subtle here. Was kinda browsing Newgrounds comments whilst listening :P

Edited by HoboKa

8 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Come to think of it, your adaptation is like a 32 bit remake.  And that's not a bad thing.  Though I wish the 2nd half took some new direction.  Unless I'm missing something subtle here. Was kinda browsing Newgrounds comments whilst listening :P

Yeah, mine isn't that special. It's kind of what you would expect from my sort of remake/rework. The most significant being the FM Bass. Thanks anyways!