Play Dragon Force (Saturn)!

Atomicfog

Thread I posted in unmod, maybe Gendisc will appreciate it more since unmod does not appreciate it's awesomeness enough:

I was browsing unmod.org the other day, and Leokef (THANK YOU) posts this

You can give SSF a shot.'(no roms at this website mods)'

Not sure if it'll work; Saturn emulators seem behind the curve.

Now I went to a rom website and got the rom (mounted it on a virtual drive using alcohol 120% or some other program);and now I can play one of the best games ever on my PC. I have been wanting to play Dragon Force again for so long, and this is SO FUCKING AWESOME. I used to play it all of the time but a friend "borrowed it" forever when he moved.

I cannot express in words how happy I am, but I just woke up from playing Dragon Force for 24 hours straight and almost beating it. Whether you have or haven't played Dragon Force, do it NOW.

Edit: Pics:

pic3.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic11.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic9.jpg

Yeah, Dragon Force is pretty cool. It ain't no Panzer Dragoon Saga or Shining Force III, but It still rocked my world back in the late 90's.

Man, I hope the Saturn emulator actually works. Every other Saturn Emulator Ive ever downloaded either didn't work at all or, in one case, only played Sonic 3D.

Yeah, Dragon Force is pretty cool. It ain't no Panzer Dragoon Saga or Shining Force III, but It still rocked my world back in the late 90's.

Man, I hope the Saturn emulator actually works. Every other Saturn Emulator Ive ever downloaded either didn't work at all or, in one case, only played Sonic 3D.

Same here on the bottom part (I really need to play SF III right now since I have beaten I and II).

I can' believe this Saturn emulator works almost flawlessly (sound is a bit off in some places)

Oh man I still have dragon force, but my Saturn broke when I was clumsy and snapped the open disc tray :(. Hurray! No more battery cells for save files. I like how everything looks sharper in those pics aswell.

Well then you can just get the emulator, pop in the disc, and start playing if you want. I just finished the game with Junon; so much fun.

SSF works great, and has been for months (I tried it out sometime around May-July). I'm sure it's been working pretty good before that even, based on the forums over at emutalk.net. In fact, go visit the forums, and check out the compatibility list.

As for Dragon Force, could you please explain how to play it? I tried to play it months ago, but starting a new game made no sense whatsoever to me. I tried to read a FAQ, but the guy wrote the FAQ with the expectation that you've read the manual (which I uh... Lost... Yah, that's it... I lost it...). So, I'd really like to try this game out, but it so far makes no sense to me.

Also, most of the Shining Force games run great, but I've heard that the magic effect is screwy (I don't know what they mean. I might not be that far in the game). Really, a very capable emulator. There's also some pretty cool games for the system as well. Now, if only I knew which ones to get, and how to play them (Mainly, Dragon Force is the one that confuses me...).

One thing to note, is that analog control doesn't seem to be supported yet. At least, that's what I understand of it. Some people have asked about it, in regards to NiGHTs and Christmas NiGHTs (Christmas NiGHTs runs great, but I've had issues with NiGHTs. The newest version of SSF might have fixed them though, I'm not sure).

Anyway, glad you found a great emulator, and that it works for you. Hopefully, I can figure out Dragon Force... Mouser X out.

Man, I love that emulator. I found and have been playing Golden Axe: The Duel for the last few hours. I remember back when I had a working Saturn, i could never get passed that evil voodoo person (zazo?), but with my new and improved l33t fighting skills, I completed it! Yeah, I had to use quite a few continues, but yeah!

And now: Street Fighter Alpha. Ahh, Akuma's raging demon special... takes me back.

EDIT - And I know that Akuma has had his raging demon special in other games, but It never took half a lifebar away in any other game (On a direct hit, of course).

SSF works great, and has been for months (I tried it out sometime around May-July). I'm sure it's been working pretty good before that even, based on the forums over at emutalk.net. In fact, go visit the forums, and check out the compatibility list.

As for Dragon Force, could you please explain how to play it? I tried to play it months ago, but starting a new game made no sense whatsoever to me. I tried to read a FAQ, but the guy wrote the FAQ with the expectation that you've read the manual (which I uh... Lost... Yah, that's it... I lost it...). So, I'd really like to try this game out, but it so far makes no sense to me.

Also, most of the Shining Force games run great, but I've heard that the magic effect is screwy (I don't know what they mean. I might not be that far in the game). Really, a very capable emulator. There's also some pretty cool games for the system as well. Now, if only I knew which ones to get, and how to play them (Mainly, Dragon Force is the one that confuses me...).

One thing to note, is that analog control doesn't seem to be supported yet. At least, that's what I understand of it. Some people have asked about it, in regards to NiGHTs and Christmas NiGHTs (Christmas NiGHTs runs great, but I've had issues with NiGHTs. The newest version of SSF might have fixed them though, I'm not sure).

Anyway, glad you found a great emulator, and that it works for you. Hopefully, I can figure out Dragon Force... Mouser X out.

Here is vague but good guide to the game.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/file/dragon_force_c.txt

This is more small but more in-depth manual type guide

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/file/dragon_force_a.txt

Other than that I will say that the game isn't as complicated as it may look, through there is definitely quite a bit of strategy involved.

Basically your goal is to gather the eight members of the Dragon Force together to fight Madruk god of destruction and the like; in order to do this you must

deploy your generals all over the continent and fight your way through to each Dragon Force member (the eight kingdom leaders). Each of your generals can have a certain amount of troops, and different troops have different weaknesses and stengths.(E.G Monks pwn cavalry). Each of your castles an hold 10 generals, and depending on wat level castle they ae they can hold a certain amount of troops to recuit in order to refill the troops you lose during battle (recruits refill over time).

Anyhow, it is easier to learn to play Dragon Force than it might seem at first glance; once you get the basics down you can just experiment from there. Just try playing it. All you really need to do in order to start out is deploy troops to enemy castles, and beat them using tactical formations which they describe in the guide. If you have any questions don't hesiate to ask; because this game is to awesome pass up in my opinion.

• 13 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/20/2020 at 6:28 PM, AKMossimo said:

Can anyone help me get Dragonforce up and running on my PC? I've never done an emulator before and would love to play this game again. 

Oh wow, you bumped the right thread a year ago lol. Dragon Force is still one of the greatest games of all time. SSF emulator is still solid -- at least it was a few years ago when I play through Dragon Force again. https://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/saturn/           You can get it here.  You may need to torrent or find a bios or something to play iirc.  It has been awhile, but it's pretty easy.