Sign in to follow this  
iosman123

In what order are Logic 9 inserts applied?.

Hello,

There's a bass track that I'm trying to limit because, in order to make it sound nice and dirty, I've throw some HEAVY distortion on it. As will happen when you distort a sound, it got really loud. The nature of this bass sound is that it doesn't vary in intensity pretty much at all. Thus, I want to use a limiter to decrease the volume. However, the limiter insert that I put on it doesn't seem to be working. I've played with the ordering and sometimes it works, then I'll move something and the sound explodes, move it back, nothing happens, etc. Basically, I can find no information about the order in which these inserts are applied so anyone who can tell me would be a lifesaver.

thanks

iosman

From the top, going down. Logic 9's channel setup is a bit poorly laid out, in that the instrument is below the effects, and the effects are processed top->down.

Your post contains a lot of interesting things, so I'll try to comment on them all to cover anything that's confusing you about this.

12 hours ago, iosman123 said:

I've throw some HEAVY distortion on it. As will happen when you distort a sound, it got really loud. The nature of this bass sound is that it doesn't vary in intensity pretty much at all.

So you have a bass sound without a lot of variation in loudness. And you distort that. Not only does it get louder, it also loses what little variation it already had. I'm just making sure you're aware of this.

Thus, I want to use a limiter to decrease the volume. However, the limiter insert that I put on it doesn't seem to be working

A limiter isn't usually used to reduce overall track levels. It's used to ensure the track never gets louder than a set level, and should only activate on the loudest peaks of the signal. It's mostly used to prevent loud transient sounds, like in the attacks of drums, from being so loud that they clip. If the signal going into the limiter is never past 0dB, the limiter does nothing. If you have a distorted signal that wasn't very dynamic (varying in loudness) even before distortion, you're probably gonna have something stuck at 0dB, never going beyond, and never giving the limiter a reason to do anything. Any transients in the bass are probably cut by the distortion already, so there's no reason to put a limiter on this bass track.

You can raise the level of the input signal with the Gain knob in the limiter, but you probably shouldn't. And you can adjust the output from the limiter too, but you probably shouldn't. (Doing it on a limiter on the output of the whole project is fine, I have mine set to -0.2dB or similar.)

You should probably use a normal compressor instead. Bass -> Distortion -> Compressor.

I've played with the ordering and sometimes it works, then I'll move something and the sound explodes, move it back, nothing happens, etc.

Your distortion is probably the thing exploding. I avoid changing the order of effects while the sound is playing to avoid stuff like that, but there are occasionally clicks and similar sounds from some of them anyway when moving them. It has less to do with the order and more to do with what the effect is doing, and that you're suddenly moving it.

But the Bass -> Distortion -> Compressor suggested above should be all you need. Feel free to list the effects you use now, in order. If you have other effects on it, these alter the sound too, and depending on the sound you want, their position would be different.