OCR04000 - Final Fantasy VII "The Cosmofarian"

Liontamer

It's pretty funny that in the write-up for MkVaff's remix of the same theme djp mentioned he was planning to arrange "Cosmo Canyon" at some point, and, well... Here we are :) It's also very interesting that this is the third (!) djp remix of 2019. I mean, are we going back in time or what :D Anyways, onto the track itself - I gotta be honest, I'm too far from calling myself a huge reggae fan, but this remix is just ridiculously good. Just like Mike's track I mentioned earlier, this is nowhere near what you can expect from an arrangement of this source tune. And yet it works on every level possible! When I was listening "The Cosmofarian" for the first time, I was initially worried that it was too liberal and I didn't recognize the source at all, but luckily the melody kicked in at 0:25 and it was pretty much there the entire time :) This is also certainly a classic djp track in that sense that it has a lot of connections with his previous tracks (actually, my very first thought that popped into my mind was "FORTUNA FAVOURS THE FUNK!". Yeah, it was more like a scream, hahaha), but it's something new, fresh and different at the same time! Keep on rocking, Mr. Lloyd ;)

Great vibe, great stutter. Finds that sweet spot between grime and sheen. The harmonics at 1:55 - gimmie all of that *gobbles it up, greedily*.

Agree 300% with OCR being a kind of bastion for less popular genres. I think my first ever tastes of industrial AND trance came from this site, 17-18 years ago (both FFVII mixes, ironically). Also, as someone who just got back into making my own music after some years away, I always appreciated this site for supporting interpretations over straight covers. The creative process it takes to arrange something new out of something old...sometimes a track doesn't work out the way it does in your head, but the end results can be incredibly rewarding when they do (or after those happy accidents). 

PS. I'v also been constantly impressed by DJP's writing/write-ups. Manages to find new ways to write about music with each new post. As we're all at the point of no return with texting, social media character limits, and clickbait pseudo-journalism, (not to mention professional deadlines and shorter attention spans), it's often very refreshing for me, personally, to see a well-worded paragraph or three on the main page of a site that supports creative arts like this one.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...