Why my Zelda OoT remix album failed on sales?

Gerard White

The idea was to create a trilogy of albums based on this game (ocarina of time), being the 1st one the child era album that I already released. It was simple, if the album succeded on sales, I was going to continue making the second one and so on. Despite all of this, its likely that even if the 1st album didnt suceed I will continue creating this trilogy.

I would like if someone that has the time or patience to listen to my album (it is long) to tell me their honest opinion (I wont be mad I just wanna learn from this).

Here is the album:

https://gerardwhitemusic.bandcamp.com/album/-

And here is a brief comparison between the atmosphere I wanted to implement in the 2nd album in contrast to the 1st one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5TQsHHpDOR/

On 11/29/2019 at 7:18 PM, JohnStacy said:

I can't listen to it now, but did you license it? Or did you just make it and release it?

Yes it is licensed.

Here is what I cant understand, down below are the stats between october the 3rd until today:

The big spike was around the release date (october the 20th), but if you look at how many songs were fully listen, the list is VERY short, in a way i feel people didnt even gave the chance to the album to just listen it from beginning to end, and i created it thinking not on creating a few 'hits' and some meaningless songs to fill the blanks, I did this thinking on the whole album as 1 big piece, 1 story (with different 'arcs' that each one conclude on a climax -the 3 boss battles and the last song of the album-), and the fact that not even one person listened to the album in the way I intended when creating it (taking account that it took me 2 years and a half to do it), its kinda frustrating... 

p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

And here, is a 9 min video that summarizes the 1 hour and 40 mins of the album, covering fragments of the 19 songs:

Edited by Gerard White

You really want an honest opinion? It just doesn't sound very good. You're using really low quality samples and there's a ton of reverb in a lot of the tracks. The EQ is really skewed towards high frequencies. It sounds harsh. The arrangements are sparse and kind of boring.

I had a hard time sitting down and listening to even one track all the way through. I wouldn't buy this.

3 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

You really want an honest opinion? It just doesn't sound very good. You're using really low quality samples and there's a ton of reverb in a lot of the tracks. The EQ is really skewed towards high frequencies. It sounds harsh. The arrangements are sparse and kind of boring.

I had a hard time sitting down and listening to even one track all the way through. I wouldn't buy this.

Thanks for your honest opinion, thats the type of input I wanted, it seems clear that I have A LOT to keep learning :)

I skimmed through some of your tracks. I'll second Shariq's criticisms, all of them.

Then there's also the matter of price. 10 bucks for this many tracks might seem reasonable from an artist's perspective, but you're competing with a lot of other remixers, with their own albums free and commercial. And it's incomplete, so 30 bucks to get the full experience? If the tracks were really good, and/or different enough from what's been done with these sources already, maybe people would want to pay that much for it. But even then it's a bit steep. Hence why many artists nowadays live on donations/tips/patreon-like things rather than sales, especially in the remixing scene to the extent anyone's making a living remixing vgm.

Besides developing as an artist, you might want to build your audience/fanbase/following/whatever (eg on soundcloud or youtube or maybe tiktok or whatever makes sense). This will help you gain both listens and sales on future releases.

I commend you for doing the licensing and trying the commercial album thing. Initiative, procedure, legalities. That's a good experience to have, you now know how complicated (or easy) that is.

10 hours ago, Rozovian said:

I skimmed through some of your tracks. I'll second Shariq's criticisms, all of them.

Then there's also the matter of price. 10 bucks for this many tracks might seem reasonable from an artist's perspective, but you're competing with a lot of other remixers, with their own albums free and commercial. And it's incomplete, so 30 bucks to get the full experience? If the tracks were really good, and/or different enough from what's been done with these sources already, maybe people would want to pay that much for it. But even then it's a bit steep. Hence why many artists nowadays live on donations/tips/patreon-like things rather than sales, especially in the remixing scene to the extent anyone's making a living remixing vgm.

Besides developing as an artist, you might want to build your audience/fanbase/following/whatever (eg on soundcloud or youtube or maybe tiktok or whatever makes sense). This will help you gain both listens and sales on future releases.

I commend you for doing the licensing and trying the commercial album thing. Initiative, procedure, legalities. That's a good experience to have, you now know how complicated (or easy) that is.

Thanks for the long explanation, yep, in a way it would be 30 bucks to get the full experience, but it would be nearly 5 hours of music as well (and in a way each album is in itself one experience). I think I could eventually remake this album, but I will have to study a bit more, thats now clear to me. Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it :)