HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

MIDI: https://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP108_gba_sa2_icep2.mid

Deadline: Dec 29th Sun @ 1 PM

Vote Ends: Dec 31st Tues @ 1 PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP108

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. Same rules for PRC voting Stage: don't vote for yourself, be considerate and try to give reasonable feedback as to why you liked X or Y entry. 
  8. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by HoboKa

3 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

Dude compo’s just started and your already submitting a bonus track!? Woooooow.

I'm one productive mofo, as @HoboKa once said.

Also, with some of these compos, I'm just curious to know... What about sound downgrades? Like, what if someone wanted to somehow water a composition down to the NES sound chip when the source is SEGA Genesis? Would that be allowed?

Just wanna know for future reference ;)

Edited by Seth Skoda
Added question

1 hour ago, Seth Skoda said:

Also, with some of these compos, I'm just curious to know... What about sound downgrades? Like, what if someone wanted to somehow water a composition down to the NES sound chip when the source is SEGA Genesis? Would that be allowed?

Pretty much keep the composition intact and your good. Anything else is fine.

So in the case of NES knock yourself out.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:01 AM, Seth Skoda said:

Yep downgrades are good, so long as the source is recognizable and the mood isn't altered too much. 

I'm done with PRC, y'all. If you can lose to the objectively worst entry, it's not worth entering anymore. I am severely disappointed with Sonic fans in general right now.

It is absolutely worth entering, regardless if you win or lose. A lot of remixers on this site started off by participating in the PRC and other competitions like it. It's a great way of getting regular feedback on your work while letting you hone techniques and try new things.

5 minutes ago, Trism said:

It is absolutely worth entering, regardless if you win or lose. A lot of remixers on this site started off by participating in the PRC and other competitions like it. It's a great way of getting regular feedback on your work while letting you hone techniques and try new things.

Maybe you're right...

But, then again. I get feedback on Newgrounds a lot. That's how I got to where I am tbh.

By the way, I voted for your piece in PRC. Good stuff, but room for improvement, too. I left feedback with my vote.

If anything, I may only participate as a voter from here on out to give others feedback. I have my own projects that I've been pushing back for these compos in order to make my presence known.

I really need to stop attention whoring and get back to work.

Edited by Seth Skoda
add more stuff

Just now, Seth Skoda said:

Maybe you're right...

But, then again. I get feedback on Newgrounds a lot. That's how I got to where I am tbh.

By the way, I voted for your piece in PRC. Good stuff, but room for improvement, too. I left feedback with my vote.

I saw it, and I appreciate it. I'm always looking for feedback on my "work" regardless of whether it's good or bad. And there's ALWAYS room for improvement. 

Maybe you're right...

If anything, I may only participate as a voter from here on out to give others feedback. I have my own projects that I've been pushing back for these compos in order to make my presence known.

I really need to stop attention whoring and get back to work.

Hey, I remember being pissed off a ton for losing rounds at PRC years back.  Then I learned to stop caring and enjoy it - cuz at end of the day, you still have a cool tune that you've made to show all your friends.  Winning is just an added bonus.  The feedback is still handy and no one is shy to give it here. 

I'm actually done with everything right now.

It's been a long time coming, and I can't hold it off anymore. I'm doing stupid shit again, so it's time for yet another hiatus.

I'll get back to y'all when this depression blows over.

You may still see content from me on Newgrounds, but don't count on me responding to anything unless it's super urgent. I won't even be on the forums there.

Edited by Seth Skoda
One more thing

56 minutes ago, Seth Skoda said:

It's been a long time coming, and I can't hold it off anymore. I'm doing stupid shit again, so it's time for yet another hiatus.

You may still see content from me on Newgrounds, but don't count on me responding to anything unless it's super urgent. I won't even be on the forums there.

Yikes.  Sounds heavy.

Alright man, take care of yourself.  All the best to ya. 

It's not about winning the contest. For me, the results are just to decide who gets to pick a source for the next round.

The Slogan of CompoThaSauce is:

"The only way to lose a compo is to not participate"

But of course everyone must make his/her own decision to enter or note (or vote or not). Everyone is always welcome to participate.

Edited by Bundeslang

21 hours ago, Seth Skoda said:

I was just getting to like you....

I though't we could be friends, you seemed really nice...

Oh well, take care... :cry:

18 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

It's not about winning the contest. For me, the results are just to decide who gets to pick a source for the next round.

The Slogan of CompoThaSauce is:

"The only way to lose a compo is to not participate"

But of course everyone must make his/her own decision to enter or note (or vote or not). Everyone is always welcome to participate.

I hope that shit-show doesn't deter you from doing more remixes.  Sorry about causing a disturbance. 

2 hours ago, HoboKa said:

I hope that shit-show doesn't deter you from doing more remixes.  Sorry about causing a disturbance. 

Eh, it's my fault for bitching about shit in the first place.

I just need to keep in mind that my ears are different from pretty much anyone else, and what sounds like garbage to me might not be to others.

7 hours ago, TheVideoGamer said:

I was just getting to like you....

I though't we could be friends, you seemed really nice...

Oh well, take care... :cry:

Fuck. I can't stay away. It's pretty chill here. Sorry about that.

6 hours ago, Seth Skoda said:

Eh, it's my fault for bitching about shit in the first place.

I just need to keep in mind that my ears are different from pretty much anyone else, and what sounds like garbage to me might not be to others.

Fuck. I can't stay away. It's pretty chill here. Sorry about that.

I’m glad you had fun here. Weather you decide to stay or leave, I hope you take it easy...

Good luck...

1 hour ago, TheVideoGamer said:

I’m glad you had fun here. Weather you decide to stay or leave, I hope you take it easy...

Good luck...

imma stay. I do get some lols when a thread gets derailed here. Especially the YTP memes.

Also gonna expand genres, so it would be good to get the feedback here. It seems Newgrounders have forgotten the purpose of the review section these days...

Edited by Seth Skoda
Punctuation fix. I'm usually a nazi with this.

6 hours ago, Seth Skoda said:

imma stay. I do get some lols when a thread gets derailed here. Especially the YTP memes.

Also gonna expand genres, so it would be good to get the feedback here. It seems Newgrounders have forgotten the purpose of the review section these days...

Yay, now i'm not alone when i suddenly blurt Pingas, in front of everyone's faces lol