PRC401 - Out of Phase (Parasite Eve)

Bundeslang

Anniversary Round  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should the next round be a special anniversary round

• Yes (if you have an idea, feel free to post it in this thread)
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/18/2019 at 10:00 PM

At the moment, HoboKa, Dex, TheVideoGamer, PlanarianHugger and Silverpool64 voted. Didn't check if the votes are correct. I will vote tomorrow (if time lets me, I also wasn't able to start the voting at a normal way and also PRC402 started later as planned), I don't want to have my vote influenced by comments from the others that's why I didn't check the votes but I assume that if they are in the system, they are correct.

20 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

At the moment, HoboKa, Dex, TheVideoGamer, PlanarianHugger and Silverpool64 voted. Didn't check if the votes are correct. I will vote tomorrow (if time lets me, I also wasn't able to start the voting at a normal way and also PRC402 started later as planned), I don't want to have my vote influenced by comments from the others that's why I didn't check the votes but I assume that if they are in the system, they are correct.

At least it gives people more time. We shall await your vote oh wise one...

Again, sorry for the delay (my new year resolution will be to not forget to announce everything on time).

Results time

HoboKa did a bonus mix, not for the first time (thanks for another contribution).

TheVideoGamer was out of inspiration, he ends with 4 points and the last place wooden spoon

Silverpool64 received 10 points and gets the third place (like last round)

PlanarianHugger gathered 12 points and gets second place.

And the winner of PRC400 is Dex with 16 points!!.

Dex, you are the winner and may pick a source for PRC404. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your sources as fast as you can, but before next Monday (6 January 2019), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/prc400 for the votes and comments.

23 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

Again, sorry for the delay (my new year resolution will be to not forget to announce everything on time).

Results time

HoboKa did a bonus mix, not for the first time (thanks for another contribution).

TheVideoGamer was out of inspiration, he ends with 4 points and the last place wooden spoon

Silverpool64 received 10 points and gets the third place (like last round)

PlanarianHugger gathered 12 points and gets second place.

And the winner of PRC400 is Dex with 16 points!!.

Dex, you are the winner and may pick a source for PRC404. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your sources as fast as you can, but before next Monday (6 January 2019), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/prc400 for the votes and comments.

I really was out of inspiration lol

Oh well I can make a nice stew with the last place wooden spoon haha.

Wow, I thought Silverpool had this one locked up. I guess the incorporation of too many sources was deemed too far outside the scope of the competition, even though the main source was present the whole way through.

To answer a question: "I like the drums! Did you record them live?" - I played the notes in real time on one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPD218--akai-professional-mpd218-pad-controller. I don't really like it but it's what I have. The sounds come from Superior Drummer.

On 12/29/2019 at 2:11 AM, Dextastic said:

Wow, I thought Silverpool had this one locked up. I guess the incorporation of too many sources was deemed too far outside the scope of the competition, even though the main source was present the whole way through.

To answer a question: "I like the drums! Did you record them live?" - I played the notes in real time on one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPD218--akai-professional-mpd218-pad-controller. I don't really like it but it's what I have. The sounds come from Superior Drummer.

You don’t like it? They sound really good. Like really really...

The pads themselves suck. For one thing, I get a bunch of double hits (common problem with akai pads - Google it for more info). Even worse is they do not do a good job of capturing my performances, so I have to edit a bunch of note velocities afterwards.

The pads only record midi data.

The sounds come from Superior Drummer, which I agree sounds great.

3 hours ago, Dextastic said:

The pads themselves suck. For one thing, I get a bunch of double hits (common problem with akai pads - Google it for more info). Even worse is they do not do a good job of capturing my performances, so I have to edit a bunch of note velocities afterwards.

The pads only record midi data.

The sounds come from Superior Drummer, which I agree sounds great.

Ah i see. Do you use sticks or fingers for the pads?

Also is the price expensive?

On 12/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, HoboKa said:

A Freshly Baked Remixer Challenge throwback??  You guys gotta let @Ramaniscence in on this gig.  If we roll that direction ;)

There is a plan to bring back FBRC (and Doubles Dash) once we have a system that will facilitate it better. Honestly, I think from an administrative position we could really knock it out of the park this time around. That said: FBRC is typically held during the summer time to avoid holidays and obligations (that is, back when we were all young enough for that to matter). 2020 seems like a good year to bring it back, but I wouldn't do it until July/August.

1 hour ago, Ramaniscence said:

There is a plan to bring back FBRC (and Doubles Dash) once we have a system that will facilitate it better. Honestly, I think from an administrative position we could really knock it out of the park this time around. That said: FBRC is typically held during the summer time to avoid holidays and obligations (that is, back when we were all young enough for that to matter). 2020 seems like a good year to bring it back, but I wouldn't do it until July/August.

Cool!  Thanks for the update.  Here's to hoping we see FBRC in Summer. 

21 hours ago, Dextastic said:

Fingers. I think sticks would destroy them pretty quickly, hah.

I got mine used for something like $60-80 delivered. I can't remember exactly. I've also demoed new units and the pads built into akai keyboard controllers and they also have the same issues.

Right. So I take it’s not velocity sensitive. Is that the design or a problem?

17 hours ago, Ramaniscence said:

The man himself heh! I’d be down for that. Sounds great!

Edited by TheVideoGamer

55 minutes ago, TheVideoGamer said:

Right. So I take it’s not velocity sensitive. Is that the design or a problem?

They *are* velocity sensitive. They just do a poor job. I have to hit them harder than I’d like to trigger them at all, and if I hit them just a bit harder than that I’m maxing them out. Consistent hits seem to register anywhere in the 90-120 range with little rhyme or reason. Again, all of the akai finger pads I’ve tried are like this.

I’ll tell you what has good pads, at least for my tapping style, and that’s the m-audio code keyboards. I don’t have one (and I’ve read a lot about build quality/longevity issues with them), but I got to demo one once for a couple of hours and it was heavenly.

1 hour ago, Dextastic said:

They *are* velocity sensitive. They just do a poor job. I have to hit them harder than I’d like to trigger them at all, and if I hit them just a bit harder than that I’m maxing them out. Consistent hits seem to register anywhere in the 90-120 range with little rhyme or reason. Again, all of the akai finger pads I’ve tried are like this.

I’ll tell you what has good pads, at least for my tapping style, and that’s the m-audio code keyboards. I don’t have one (and I’ve read a lot about build quality/longevity issues with them), but I got to demo one once for a couple of hours and it was heavenly.

Out of interest have you considered owning V-Drums? What are they like? Maybe this solves your problem. I’ve seen lots of people talk about it, so I’m interested in your thoughts.

I think the Akai pads are mostly for people new to the music buiss...

M-Audio is a great make. They do some nice Audio Interfaces.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

On 12/31/2019 at 4:39 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

Out of interest have you considered owning V-Drums? What are they like? Maybe this solves your problem. I’ve seen lots of people talk about it, so I’m interested in your thoughts.

Yes, I've thought about getting V-drums or something similar, but I don't have the room or the budget for them right now. I have an acoustic kit that I'm considering selling to replace with electronic drums, but I'm kind of hesitant about it. 

I've demoed electronic drum kits for years and they've only recently gotten to the point where they can reliably pick up every note I play, from fast loud rolls to the softest of ghost note rolls. The cheapest kit I've found that can register every note is the Alesis Crimsonkit 2 ($1200 retail), but if I really wanted to go electronic I'd probably spring for an upgrade to something higher-tier. 

29 minutes ago, Dextastic said:

Yes, I've thought about getting V-drums or something similar, but I don't have the room or the budget for them right now. I have an acoustic kit that I'm considering selling to replace with electronic drums, but I'm kind of hesitant about it. 

I've demoed electronic drum kits for years and they've only recently gotten to the point where they can reliably pick up every note I play, from fast loud rolls to the softest of ghost note rolls. The cheapest kit I've found that can register every note is the Alesis Crimsonkit 2 ($1200 retail), but if I really wanted to go electronic I'd probably spring for an upgrade to something higher-tier. 

For a drum set of that magnitude, that seems like a reasonable price. The thing with electronic drum hits, is that it artificially adds the velocities in, compared to acoustic which responds to how hard you hit it. Of course it applies to electronic drums, but it's going to be wired in, if you catch my drift.

If your more of a rock person than a electronica person, then i'd suggest keeping your kit. That is, if you don't have any problems, or it's not damaged...

Electronic Drum Kits are really good, to input sounds. So you could route...say your "Superior Drummer" into the kit, and then you pretty much have the experience of a live drummer. 

I suppose it's really just about making things work.

33 minutes ago, Dextastic said:

I dunno, people rave about their mpk controllers. The keys and knobs feel nice and seem to be of good build quality. Personally I just think their pads suck.

Yeah i was only joking lol.

Years ago, i used to use a Akai MIDI Keyboard to produce music with, and it was pretty great. I don't have it now, because i left College. Yeah i studied music tech, in college where they used these keyboards.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

On 1/5/2020 at 2:48 PM, TheVideoGamer said:

If your more of a rock person than a electronica person, then i'd suggest keeping your kit. That is, if you don't have any problems, or it's not damaged...

It's a pretty nice kit with only minor cosmetic damage. I don't have a recording space or any microphones, though, so it's strictly a "live only" kit. Even just buying the microphones necessary to record it would cost more than getting a whole electronic kit, I think.

2 hours ago, Dextastic said:

It's a pretty nice kit with only minor cosmetic damage. I don't have a recording space or any microphones, though, so it's strictly a "live only" kit. Even just buying the microphones necessary to record it would cost more than getting a whole electronic kit, I think.

If it sounds to me like it's unusable, then either donate to some friend who is a musician and does have the space, or just get rid of it. Of course it's playable, what i mean it's unusable in the context of recorded music. As a standard kit though, i'm sure it works. 

Depends how much you will get from it. If you get a lot of money from it, then that could be towards a new drum set. 

I don't know, i think it can be used, it's just as you described it, in the way, and only used as a live kit.