OCR04030 - *YES* Skies of Arcadia "The Silver Crystal"

Rexy

Game Arranged: Skies of Arcadia
Name of Arrangement:  The Silver Crystal
Song Arranged: Fina's Theme

Commentary:
"I had been in the process of working on my own interpretation of Fina's Theme when I was asked to take on Fina's Theme for this remix album.  For this remix, I included some inspiration from "Short Skirts" by djpretzel and Vigilante, as well from the track "To Impress the Empress" from the Nujabes compilation album Modal Soul Classics. Where most tracks I do usually take about 2 weeks to a month to complete, I set a personal record for myself with this remix as I finished everything within about 3-4 days.  The result is a smooth jazz-y, breakbeat-y thingy that I hope you'll be able to chill out to."

• 1 month later...

i heard the inspiration of the two songs you mentioned right away. i think you did a nice job adapting the original to this kinda-newagey jazz style. i really appreciated the attention paid to dynamics in each instrument, and additionally in how you let each instrument have their own place in the track. i do feel that it's a bit loud at times (the bass and drums are well-done but sometimes seem too loud compared to other instruments or parts), but overall i thought that you really nailed the vibe of the track well.

this is an easy vote.

YES

Jazzy vibes right from the start with those chords.  Super smooth vibes all around, and an excellent arrangement to go with it.  I can hear the original, but you included a lot of twists and surprises that kept me on my toes.  I feel like no instrument here went into the final mix without detailing (sometimes extensive, as with the drumming).  The structure breaks plenty of times and switches gears from energetic to soothing.  The track is mixed well, so I have no qualms with the production.

Overall an eclectic mix of forms and styles that works great.  As Brad said, this is an easy vote and a recommended listen from me.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2019/01/14 - (2Y) Skies of Arcadia "The Silver Crystal"

Did you seriously create this track in less than a week?  And considering it was was a last-minute replacement, that is a strong bullet point among your contributions to Arcadia Legends.  Nicely done!

For me, the source quickly checks out - you've got the melody riding along this changed up jazzy accompaniment, and even went as far as breaking fragments of it into licks for the quieter sections.  The articulations are also beautiful - even though it's just you and a bunch of VSTs, every instrument has a live performance feel to it.  Add to the attention to detail on the production, making sure every part gets its breathing space in the mix, and it's all together as one lively and miraculous package.

The only nitpick I have about this is in regards to the synergy.  I'm not sure if the limited timeframe contributed to this, but there had been minor moments in the first half where your pitched percussion (piano and bells) were mere fractions ahead of and behind time, respectively.  A slight amount more TLC would've been good to home in and seam them closer together, but it's too much of a nitpick when everything else is way above the bar.

Nevertheless, I found it an enjoyable romp on Arcadia Legends, and I'll continue to see it that way on the front page.  Great stuff, Mike, and I hope this new decade gives you more ways to experiment with new ideas!

YES

Edited by Rexy

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/01/14 - (3Y) Skies of Arcadia "The Silver Crystal"
  • 2 weeks later...