OCR04029 - *YES* Final Fantasy X "Peace and Bliss"

Rexy

Remixer name: Bluelighter
Mail: 
ID forum: 21840
Game & Songs: Final Fantasy X & Yuna's Decision
Composer: Nobuo Uemastu & Junya Nakano

Hi OCR!

This is a piano arrangement of Yuna's Decision. In the game, the music came after some difficult events. The contrast between this peaceable scene and the last events was clashing and the music was so remarkable.  

I really love this melody, so peaceful and nice. So I made a piano adaptation; trying to keep the spirit of the original. I put a lot emotion in this piece , a little romantic but without romance in the story : only hope and sense of duty of our charactere Yuna

Enjoy :)

BREAKDOWN

Original

0'00 Melody A

1'05 Melody B

Arrangement

1- 0'00 Mel B – high notes, like a dream

2- 0'28 Mel A – the main melody starts; respectful of the original structure with piano ornamentations

3- 1'17 Mel B – the structure continues, with quick arpeggios. It is followed by culminating point of the piece with loud harmonies. And still arpeggios

4- 1'54 Mel A – some variations of the main melody

5- 2'43 Mel B – reminder of the part 1

for context for other judges, this is when yuna reaches the calm lands and sees where her father defeated sin before. she lays down and takes in the scene, and steels her resolve to continue on, having made her decision to sacrifice herself when the time came.

this is a beautiful rendition. i found your choice to use the tritone harmonies in the intro and outro intriguing, reinforcing the eerieness/wrongness that pervades a lot of FFX's plot once you know what's going on. your initial presentation of the melody is simple yet effective, and the consistent arpeggios remind me of a breeze flowing over the calm lands in this section. the harmonized melody at about 0:53 was real nice. 1:17 was a nice contrast to the initial melodic content, and the flourish at 1:35 was beautifully done. 1:54's reprise of the melody was nice, albeit a bit off in that you rushed some through this section. 2:29's ending is really nicely handled, with beautiful dynamics and a nice recapitulation of the intro.

from a mastering perspective, i heard some pumping at 0:59, 1:10, and the section at 1:29, but it was minimal. beyond that, i really liked the warmth of the piano tone.

this one's pretty easy. there's some rushing in the presentation, but as a whole it's a short-yet-sweet journey back to a really memorable part of the game.

YES

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I haven't played FF10 - so I can't comment on how the arrangement reflects the story like prophetik did.

I can, however, mention how lovely the arrangement is.  The restriction to a solo piano piece gave plenty of room for added harmonies and in a simple but effective structure too.    The tail ends made great use of tremolos and harmonic thirds, riding on top of a restricted root chord sequence on the left hand - something that adds both a calming and intentionally uneasy feeling at the same time.    The development of the theme between all this sounds great too:

* Both hands are well synergized throughout, which is critical to a piano solo.
* The scaling flourishes in-between sections feel gorgeous and have that gliding feel to it.
* The second variation at 1:54 had been tastefully transformed while still keeping the similarity to the core melody.
* And above all, the dynamics had been well-shaped, allowing emphasis at just the right places to frame the pacing.

The piano tone is also lovely and warm, too, and combined with the dynamics mentioned above, the quality managed to shine through.  I, too, noticed the pumping, being even more prevalent at 1:29.  Typically you're not supposed to apply tight compression onto a solo part. Yet, I'm also the type who prefers to bring out the delicacy of the instrument at the cost of a more minimal master setup.    It's not a dealbreaker in this case, but a word of caution to slacken the compressor/limiter settings should you decide to do another piano solo in the future.

Otherwise, I like this a lot.  It's a flowing solo piano arrangement that demonstrates two things for you here.  Firstly, your love for classical music shows no bounds as always, resulting in a thoughtful composition with sweet attention to detail.  Secondly, it's shown your improvement as a solo piano interpreter and demonstrated much of what you had learned from your previous submissions in that style.  I'm excited to see what you send over in the decade ahead for sure, Guillaume.  C'est parti!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/05/08 - (2Y) Final Fantasy X "Peace and Bliss"

Great stuff, that piano performance is lovely.  Bluelighter's music is always interesting as he likes to pull the sources into interesting places, and this one is no different, showing mastery on harmonizing your leads melodies on the piano as well as showing a fairly deep dynamic range, emphasizing the difference between the energetic vs calm/pensive parts.  

Really not much to add here, just beautiful stuff from an artist that just keeps growing.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2019/05/08 - (3Y) Final Fantasy X "Peace and Bliss"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04029 - *YES* Final Fantasy X "Peace and Bliss"
  • Rexy locked this topic