OC ReMix presents Paths Less Travelled: Terranigma!

Liontamer

cover.jpg

OC ReMix presents Paths Less Travelled: Terranigma!

December 19, 2019

FAIRFAX, VA... OverClocked ReMix today released its 72nd free community arrangement album, Paths Less Travelled: Terranigma. Featuring 31 tracks from 61 artists, Paths Less Travelled: Terranigma celebrates both the soundtrack and today's 23rd anniversary of Terranigma's European Super Nintendo release, and is directed by Jorrith "Jorito" Schaap and Troy "Trism" Plain. The album is available for free download at https://terranigma.ocremix.org.

This 3-disc release features a deep roster of musicians interpreting Miyoko Takaoka and Masanori Hikichi's atypical and thought-provoking RPG score with more than 2 hours of arrangements. Paths Less Travelled: Terranigma was made by fans, for fans, and is not affiliated with or endorsed by Quintet, Kamui Fujiwara, or Square Enix; all images, characters, and original compositions are copyright their respective owners.

"This has been quite the experience," album co-director Troy Plain affirmed. "Three years and one hiatus in the making and it's finally here. I really hope you, the listener, enjoy this smorgasbord of different genres and interpretations of some truly amazing source music. Now; what to choose for Paths Less Travelled vol. 2..."

Terranigma represents the inaugural album of OCR's new Paths Less Travelled series, an endeavor that will focus on the soundtracks of overlooked and lesser-known RPGs. The Paths Less Travelled concept was initially developed by the album's visual artist, the UK-based David "Odai" Owen, himself a veteran visual contributor in the OC ReMix community.

"Every single contributor to the album has reflected stellar work on every track, and it proves to be a truly eclectic triple-album that pays homage to what I consider to be one of the very best unsung computer games of all time," declared Owen regarding the initial Paths Less Travelled installment.

Paths Less Travelled: Terranigma also marks Jorrith Schaap's third directorial effort for OC ReMix, including 2017's Resonance of the Pure Land, an extensive musical tribute to Hiroki Kikuta's score for the popular and recently remade SNES RPG Secret of Mana. Having contributed multiple pieces to OCR's 2018 album Hometown Heroes: Town Themes Arranged -- including entries from the Suikoden, Legend of Heroes, and Dragon Slayer series -- Jorito is also no stranger to arranging music from more obscure RPGs like Terranigma.

"After finally playing the game, the tracks, and their context, make a lot of sense, because they are all very well chosen and perfectly crafted for the occasion," explained album co-director Schaap. "The game is definitely worth a play, as one of the great SNES RPGs; if you haven't done so, do check it out."

About OverClocked ReMix

Founded in 1999, OverClocked ReMix is an organization dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form. Its primary focus is ocremix.org, a website featuring thousands of free fan arrangements, information on game music and composers, resources for aspiring artists, and a thriving community of video game music fans. OC ReMix operates under the umbrella and sponsorship of Game Music Initiative, Inc, a 501c3 non-profit charitable organization (EIN: 81-4140676).

###

7 minutes ago, zakraffy said:

aw no crysta remix?

The official name of Crysta is "A Place to Return To" from the Japanese sound test; that's track 2 on disc 1, also posted as an individual mix. :-)
https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR04012

Just clarifying, all the original song names referenced on the album are translations of the Japanese sound test (rather than the fan-created names on SNESmusic.org)

• 1 month later...

Proud to have worked on this project.  Everything I've heard so far is outstanding.  And once again Jorito blows us all out of the water :tomatoface:...But seriously, everything and everyone associated with this album rocks.  I highly recommend grabbing "Paths Less Traveled". 

Also, big thanks to Trism, Odai, Chimpazilla, Jorito and others I forgot to mention for helping coordinate the album.  Wish I could've done more, but this album CO stuff is a bit above my paygrade (and attention). 

See you guys for Soulblazer and/or Illusion of Gaia ;) (Not a spoiler, sadly)

Edited by HoboKa