*NO* Mega Man X "X"

Rexy

• 1 month later...

Pretty typical 80's EDM.  Nothing wrong with that, and this is largely done right, arrangement-wise.  Bass is a little loud but that's typical of the genre.  Lead is a little quiet from 3:53-4:47.

What is a problem is the overall loudness, though.  It's peaking at over +1dB, which is causing some distortion.  It's hard to hear because the sidechaining is already pumping intentionally, but part of it's unintentional as well.  The worst parts are the big percussive booms and sweeps, which are needlessly gritty.

Also I'm not sure what's going on with the ending.  4:48-5:42 is the same nearly-empty groove for nearly a minute, and then there's 30 seconds of silence at the end.  Both are completely unnecessary.  The outtro goes on for so long it starts playing auditory tricks on you, which gets pretty unpleasant.

Fortunately, I think this is all easy fixes.  Bring down your master by about 1.2dB, tweak the volume of that final lead, and end the track at 5:15, and I think this'll be pretty much there.

NO (resubmit)

I really like this.  I find the lead sounds just a tad on the vanilla side, but the writing and little variations are great.  The leads are mixed a little low in volume.  I agree with MW that the master is overcompressed, bring it down so it's not distorting and gritty.  There is obvious distortion when the sweeps and booms hit as MW pointed out.  I agree with ending the arrangement at 5:15.  I appreciate that this is a DJ mix but for OCR we don't need all that outro and certainly not the silence afterward.  Simple fixes, please send it right back!

NO (please resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2019/06/12 - (2N) Mega Man X "X"

What is this - a club-style EDM arrangement that is source dominant?  I'm pleased with this alone!

I appreciate the attention done to adapt the source to this style, and I'm okay with the tail ends as the arpeggio from the source is present.  I do, however, agree with MW and Chimpazilla regarding the loudness and distortion - so I'm sure you know how to fix this problem.

Some other issues crept up as I listened, however:

* Firstly, what's with the off-key square wave rolls (1:00, 1:07, 2:09, 2:16)?  These atonal pitches don't belong - and the best ways to get around them are to either mute them or fix them with a quick transpose.
* Secondly, there's no need for nearly 30 seconds of silence.  You can quickly trim it out in a wave editor.
* And lastly, consider finding a way to make the arpeggio more dominant in the tail ends.  From 0:00-0:54 and 4:48-5:42, it's the only component of the source present and should ideally not get de-emphasized by the rest of the sweeps and effects surrounding it.  Here are some ideas I have.   You could pull the channel away from the impact of the sidechain, boosting its volume, or even both.  It's still up to you as to whether you want to keep the tail ends in or cut them short.

As it stands, it's a fun genre adaptation with more than enough source content despite its flaws.  The issues brought up here - mastering volume, an out-of-place instrument, unnecessary silence, and potential source de-emphasis - are things I know you can make a quick fix on and re-submit down the line.  I'd love to hear a revised version of this one, please.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Rexy

• Rexy changed the title to *NO* Mega Man X "X"
  • Rexy locked this topic