*NO* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "The Darkened Land"

Rexy

Hi, guys!

I'm contacting you again to submit a new Legend of Zelda' "The Dark World" METAL cover / remix (original song from the game The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past, later re-recorded on The Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds).

Thank you for your time and, of course, enjoy it!!

Here's all the info you requested:

Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name: mikestamper (Mike Stamper)
  • Your real name: Aitor G.
  • Your website: http://www.mikestamper.es
  • Your userid: 32612

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past / The Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Name of arrangement The Darkened Land
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged The Dark World
  • "The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past" was one of the first games I played during my childhood. It's songs got stuck on my head for all my life, especially this one. This epic piece of music inspired me to make something heavier, keeping the amazing original melodies. And so, this is the result, :)

Edited by Rexy

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for reminding me of how godly the re-arrangements are on A Link Between Worlds.  Why have I not even played it yet?

Anyway, your performances are on point, and your drum writing remains as sharp as ever.  The production is stylistically gritty, yet all the instruments are well balanced and have their place in the mix.  While I would've preferred to hear more sharpness on your lead guitar and less reverb, the tone is still expressive and raw, and I appreciate what you've done here.

However, the arrangement is lacking, unfortunately.  The beginning and ending are simple and effective ways of using the theme respectively to build up and finish, but the meat is just two variations of the source, and that's it.  The only difference between the two is a different choice of drum pattern when going through the first half of melody A (0:13, 1:11).  There's plenty of things you can do to change things up - an original solo, changing the rhythms among the rest of your accompaniment, putting the melody on top of a completely different set of chords - and that's the tip of the iceberg.  You've done that before with your previous Zelda submission, and I know that you can do that again.

It's bizarre - I feel modestly frustrated just listening to this.  In your previous submission, the arrangement was passable, but the production needed work - and here, it's the other way round.  Nevertheless, you've demonstrated that you can make it onto the front page, so whether you decide to develop this track further or take what you've learned into a new arrangement is all up to you.  Please, Aitor, keep going!

NO

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/06/11 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "The Darkened Land"
  • 2 weeks later...

The production here seems good enough for me overall, nice guitar tones on the chugs, though I think the lead guitar could use some personality.  Overall good performances, though nothing mind-blowing.  The issue here is arrangement.  I appreciate the work done everywhere else but the main melody, as you basically built all the harmonies and of course drums to fit the lead melodies, based on the original's harmonies, so there's some personalization there, but I would've liked to hear more out of the main lead when it comes to interpretation.  Also, the song is basically the original melody repeated twice, and we definitely expect a bit more than that.

Not a bad start here at all, I think if you lean a bit more into the arrangement side to make it a bit more different this will make it without too much trouble.

NO (please resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2019/06/11 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "The Darkened Land"

I agree with what the other two judges have said, the performances here are very good, but nothing mindblowing.  The track is mixed well, and sounds good.  The problem is that this is basically a cover of the theme.  One could argue that changing the genre is enough personalization, but our standards require a bit more arrangement work than just reproducing the source tune in another genre.  Adding some sort of wicked solo somewhere in the arrangement would make it work, and would really make this exciting too!  I hope to hear this again!

NO (please resubmit)

• Rexy changed the title to *NO* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "The Darkened Land"
  • Rexy locked this topic