*NO* Tecmo Cup "BRZ Theme"

Rexy

According to Jordi's Youtube page, he created this track all the way back in 2002.  It makes me wonder why he wasn't aware of OCR at the time, but there you go.  I consider the arrangement decent enough to warrant a shot at the panel - and if it does pass, it'll obviously need a new title.
-Rexy

• Your ReMixer name - jordibabot
  • Your real name - Jordi Babot Casacuberta
  • Your email address
  • Your website - www.jordibabot.cat
  • Your userid - 35883
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Tecmo cup - Soccer game
  • Name of arrangement: Tecmo cup - BRZ Theme
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Team Brazil Jr
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) - it is
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - it is
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.    

This song was made with Impulse tracker in later 90's. This was a super cool game and I consider this remix my tribute. Go Razors!
PS: Char3 was my nickname by that time. Bitrate is a little low due to those times limitations.

Edited by prophetik music

• 1 month later...

It's a cool concept, but there are a few issues with that will keep it off our front page, unfortunately.

Starting right off: I'm normally not that critical of sampled piano, but this is super mechanical and fake-sounding.  After that, we have a very thin soundscape with vanilla synths.  The section that starts at 1:56, which is supposed to be the result of a huge build-up, has only a couple of synths and nothing in the highs or lows; it's very disappointing.  The ending is far too minimal, as well.  The breakdowns and voice-sampled sections are mostly adequate, but they aren't supported by anything meatier.

Also, the whole thing is pretty quiet.  There's no compression or limiting; looks like you just adjusted the master volume to be about 0dB (and it actually clips at +0.4dB--It's hard to hear due to the dirty kettle drums, but it's definitely there).  Nothing between 1:15 and 4:45 peaks above about -2.5dB. 

Structurally, it's a fun arrangement, but the instrumentation--or lack thereof--is really letting this down.

NO

Edited by MindWanderer

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad arrangement, but this definitely sounds like it's pretty old.  The samples aren't the best (that piano...)  and the arrangement can get a bit repetitive, though since this is a Hardcore remix, that comes with the genre.  Still, the production is not quite there for current OCR.  The mix sounds a bit barren and unbalanced as well.  The buildups work ok, but the actual drops are pretty weak.  I think a modern revision of this song could make it, there are a lot of catchy ideas here and the genre is represented extremely well, but that's it.

I'll like to add that this is pretty impressive-sounding for a tracker song in the late 90s tho.

NO

Edited by Sir_NutS

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2019/03/18 - (2N) Tecmo Cup "BRZ Theme"

rubber-stamping this one. the soundscape's pretty thin and just doesn't have any body. i agree that it's all over the place in terms of mastering. this style desperately needs some serious compression to make sense. the sample quality is overall really not great either. i liked the builds overall but agree they weren't high enough nor was the drop low enough to make them work. i did like the vox effects and thought they were fun.

this probably could have gotten posted in 2002, but it's nowhere near where it needs to be for where the bar is now.

NO