OCR01536 - Cauldron II "It's Binary, Baby! Album Mix"

djpretzel

Ach! I forgot to provide the lyrics when I sent the remix in. Well, here they are, so if anyone else asks just point them here. ;)

Where once the tiny cottage stood

A mighty palace, dwarfs the wood

And there within the highest tower

The witch queen wields her mighty power

A rule of evil ‘cross the land

With ghosts and gargoyles close at hand

Her enemies destroyed this night

Yet one remains to set things right

A pumpkin warrior, brave and good

The last survivor from the wood

So go now swiftly climb the stair

And cut a lock of witch’s hair

Seek out the cauldron black

And brew a spell to change things back

Then the hag will know defeat

And thy revenge will be complete

These are actually the words printed at the back of the box/cassette case on the original game, so I can't take credit for writing them. They simply fitted as song lyrics, so I don't think I changed anything - just lifted them right off.

Anyway, hope y'all will enjoy the tune! :D

Ach! I forgot to provide the lyrics when I sent the remix in. Well, here they are, so if anyone else asks just point them here. ;)
Where once the tiny cottage stood

A mighty palace, dwarfs the wood

And there within the highest tower

The witch queen wields her mighty power

A rule of evil ‘cross the land

With ghosts and gargoyles close at hand

Her enemies destroyed this night

Yet one remains to set things right

A pumpkin warrior, brave and good

The last survivor from the wood

So go now swiftly climb the stair

And cut a lock of witch’s hair

Seek out the cauldron black

And brew a spell to change things back

Then the hag will know defeat

And thy revenge will be complete

These are actually the words printed at the back of the box/cassette case on the original game, so I can't take credit for writing them. They simply fitted as song lyrics, so I don't think I changed anything - just lifted them right off.

Still awesome! :D

Still awesome! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This is so amazingly out there I am having trouble even writing a review.

If there was ever a movie or game where robots were dressed like Conan the barbarian, this would be the theme song.

Completely epic and yet at the same point, completely robo-cheese, it's a totally remarkable mix that I can't decide if I like it or not.

One thing I think would improve it would be for the main vocal to be a little higher up frequency-wise, right now it sort of fights against the bass. Most likely fighting with a tron-style morningstar.

Very creative and I think after several listens I like it, for the sheer creativity.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dark textures, high reverb, juicy "shots," and other elements craft a misty but inviting atmosphere. The beat becomes danceable starting at 0:15 (when the buzzy alien synth comes in) and stays solid throughout. But the dynamics of the vocoder are what really sell me on this. Its timing is playful, like it's coloring outside the lines (in this case, not sticking to the same beats as the other players); its storyteller tone likes to stay low and neutral, which makes its higher pitches and fervent moods cute; and it fits right in with the vibe. It commands the buildup during the chorus so well that every time the line "and cut a lock of witch's hair" comes up, I must see, imagine, or physically mimic the action on the beat (the same goes for when I'm not actually listening to this mix but am singing the lyrics to myself). Crazy addicting.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must act as barber to a female magic user... :P

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01536 - Cauldron II "It's Binary, Baby! Album Mix"